Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolicited text sent to sons phone

Options
  • 13-12-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

My son told me he got a text from a Football alert sort of text. It said thanks for signing up and it was 2.50euro each week etc....Now I know my son, as he has no interest in football and wouldnt sign up for anything like this. He read the text and it said to unsubscribe text "STOP" which he did....

He looked at his credit today and he was 5euro down.....

Anyone any experience in this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Contact Comreg and they will tell you what to do.

www.comreg.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Thanks for that,

Just asked to look at text and my Son deleted it....aghhhhhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Usually you text stop to the number the text came from, though sometimes this doesnt work, he may have entered a competition which ended up being a subscription 'service'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Usually you text stop to the number the text came from, though sometimes this doesnt work, he may have entered a competition which ended up being a subscription 'service'

Yeah he may have, but he is very savvy when it comes to parting with his money:).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

http://www.phonesmart.ie
    You'll find out the company that sent it. Complain to them and if they don't sort it out then complain to comreg at the same site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

cookie1977 wrote: »
    http://www.phonesmart.ie
    You'll find out the company that sent it. Complain to them and if they don't sort it out then complain to comreg at the same site.
    Cheers for this, I got two this week, one day after another from the number 50404, it was about special offer in Dunnes Stores and I know for a fact I didn't sign up to get texts about special offers in Dunnes Stores.

How do these companies get your number and where do they get your number from? I know I definitely did not sign up for any special offer texts etc so don't know how they got my number.

Each text cost €2.50 in credit :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

something similar happened to mo, OP.
    I was automatically signed up to some premium thingy and was being billed for €2 each message.
    I got on to comreg and the company who were billing me. The company tried t tell me I signed up back in March of this year, even though I only started recieving the texts in September.
    After about a week of complaints I managed to get a full refund of the credit I was deducted.
    Google the phone number the text came from, and contact the company it belongs to, in the mean time while you're waiting on a reply, get on to comreg also and they'll help you out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

They are a disgrace them texts intended to just rob you of the credit.
    they all sould be banned by the networks its just like some dipping into your pocket and taking 2.50 every time its a crime and more sould be done to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

One of our kids had the same crap with Jamster, who after threats from Comreg and myself, actually posted a €20 note to us, which was twice as much as the feckers squeezed out of my daughter's phone-credit.

The plug should have been pulled on this kind of scam a long time ago.

Advertisement