Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Idiot The Musical

• 13-12-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Just booked tickets for American Idiot in grand canal theatre, Nov 2012 (forever away i know). Missed it last time I was in New York (opted for Wicked and Adams family instead!), and its since finished up on broadway.

So I'm not too sure what to expect from it, anyone seen it already?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

It looks like pretty much the worst musical of all time. I could imagine it being enjoyable for teens around 15-17 but I think beyond that age, the themes are probably a little weak... If someone gave me a free ticket, I'd watch it but I doubt I'd bother paying money tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 david_dsouza

Hmm, Me also will be there if got a free ticket but purchasing a ticket for that show is not a right choice for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I can't see this selling very well in the GCT and would expect them to be giving away lots of tickets in the weeks coming up to it opening to fill seats. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was also thinking about getting tickets for this, seem a bit put off by some of the boardies reactions tho! haha!!

For this I would hold off until nearer the time, I can see them discounting the tickets, 2 for 1s, half price, lots of giveaways etc.
    I can't see this having a massive appeal. Most people will never have heard of it. If prebooking, get the cheapest ticket in the upper circle, chances are you'll be upgraded to the stalls or dress circle (as they'll close off the upper circle). ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I went to see this on a recent trip to the States. It's pretty simple in approach and story, but I enjoyed it a lot due to the music. Paid a bit less to see it in the US too. It's fun but not complex.

As I predicted, the 2 for 1 offers are now available.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/1800478592B9529B?did=gdaifb

(Promo code = IDIOTS).

2 full price tickets for €50 (+ €6.30 "service" charge).

Saw this tonight, thanks to some freebie tickets from Bord Gais. Really enjoyed it, hugely energetic with a very young cast, loud with some great songs. There's not much of a story but that didn't bother me as the music was really good. Very uplifting.

Have never seen so few people at a show in the Grand Canal Theatre. Around 200 people in a theatre that has a capacity of over 2,100. Upper circle, dress circle both closed. Around a quarter of the stalls full.
    Felt sorry for the cast, must be quite disheartening to be playing to an almost empty house. They still gave it their all and got a well deserved standing ovation at the end from a small but supportive crowd.
    Am not surprised though. People don't have much money and aren't going to go see a show that they haven't heard of. The GCT should really be discounting unsold tickets on the day of performance. Fill up the place, a half price ticket sold is better than no ticket sold + extra money spent in the bar etc. If London theatres can do this why can't the GCT? One thing I hate to see in a theatre is popcorn being sold, really cheapens the place. It bugs me that the GCT still engage in selling it.

Just a word of warning for folks going to see this, there was a gang of knacker skangers hanging around the area outside the theatre and throwing eggs at people as they enter the theatre. I had to dodge 2 eggs. Complete scumbags. Be on the watchout in the Grand Canal area!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Went to see this on Friday night, not sure what to expect. It was hugely energetic and loud though, with a very very strong vocal cast. The story was a bit disjointed but still thoroughly enjoyable! Very different atmosphere to any other musicals I've been to but a lot of fun nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    People don't have much money and aren't going to go see a show that they haven't heard of. The GCT should really be discounting unsold tickets on the day of performance. Fill up the place, a half price ticket sold is better than no ticket sold + extra money spent in the bar etc. If London theatres can do this why can't the GCT?

Totally agree. I like my musicals, but I hadn't even heard of this one. Haven't seen any advertisements for it (but maybe I'm blind :P) and I don't think there has been any mention of it on their facebook page. If they did cheap last minute tickets I'd be more keen for checking random things out, but I'd be reluctant to pay full price for something I know nothing about.

The popcorn doesn't bother me though :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

woodchuck wrote: »
    Totally agree. I like my musicals, but I hadn't even heard of this one. Haven't seen any advertisements for it (but maybe I'm blind :P) and I don't think there has been any mention of it on their facebook page. If they did cheap last minute tickets I'd be more keen for checking random things out, but I'd be reluctant to pay full price for something I know nothing about.

The popcorn doesn't bother me though :P

They did - I got an email from the Grand Canal last week saying American Idiot tickets were reduced to €10. Loads of them were given away to radio stations etc to give as prizes too. The problem is they had faaaaaaar too many dates here really. 2 or 3 nights and they would have sold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They did - I got an email from the Grand Canal last week saying American Idiot tickets were reduced to €10. Loads of them were given away to radio stations etc to give as prizes too. The problem is they had faaaaaaar too many dates here really. 2 or 3 nights and they would have sold out.

Ah that's good at least! Pity I hadn't heard about it :) I think if they did it as a daily thing though like in London or New York it would be best though.

Interesting. I never got that email. Must subscribe again for their emails. And I got free tickets to it which was great. But I would really like to see them have a policy of selling off unsold tickets at the box office at a discount on the day of performance.

People who maybe go to a musical once or twice a year and bring the kids - rather than the likes of me who can go on a whim - are going to play it safe and opt for shows like Lion King, Oliver and Wicked. Shows they've heard of and have played for ages in London.

I don't think American Idiot was publicised very well either. And when cash is tight, people (couples, families) aren't going to take risks.

As for the popcorn, it's just a personal bug. I think popcorn belongs in the cinema. Not in a theatre. The smell of it and the sound of people munching on it irritates me. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    Interesting. I never got that email. Must subscribe again for their emails. And I got free tickets to it which was great. But I would really like to see them have a policy of selling off unsold tickets at the box office at a discount on the day of performance.

People who maybe go to a musical once or twice a year and bring the kids - rather than the likes of me who can go on a whim - are going to play it safe and opt for shows like Lion King, Oliver and Wicked. Shows they've heard of and have played for ages in London.

I don't think American Idiot was publicised very well either. And when cash is tight, people (couples, families) aren't going to take risks.

As for the popcorn, it's just a personal bug. I think popcorn belongs in the cinema. Not in a theatre. The smell of it and the sound of people munching on it irritates me. :p

I used to work in the Gaiety. One night, this woman got so pissed off by a woman in front of her chewing popcorn loudly that she stood up, grabbed the box out of your woman's hands, screamed at her and threw it on the floor. Was absolutely gas.

I used to work in the Gaiety. One night, this woman got so pissed off by a woman in front of her chewing popcorn loudly that she stood up, grabbed the box out of your woman's hands, screamed at her and threw it on the floor. Was absolutely gas.

Love it. This woman is my hero! :D

Advertisement