Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

relationship with colleagues

Options
  • 13-12-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and the work colleague/former friend had a disagreement/falling out recently non work related and outside of work and since then in work the atmosphere has not been the same between us.

whilst i remain always professional in work and customers are always treated in the highest regard and i act completely professional with my colleague/former friend , outside of work i want nothing to do with this colleague, which the colleague cannot seem to come to terms with. Trust has been broken.

my manager recently called me aside in an informal way and said that i needed to be friendly with this colleague again or there would be consequences down the line.

can a manager do this, is this not thoroughly unprofessional. is he abusing his position.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

As you said the atmosphere between you is not the same.

This must be obvious in the workplace, and to your manager.

If the "atmosphere" is in the workplace, it can affect others.

I'm not 100% sure but I'd imagine if two co-workers are not getting on it might affect their work. Or make things uncomfortable for co-workers.

I've had two girls working for me who had a disagreement outside work and it carried on into work.

I told them to get over it in work, and treat each other with respect as they would to all other employees. Sorted.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

can a manager do this, is this not thoroughly unprofessional. is he abusing his position.

Yes, of course he can. It's not unprofessional. In fact it's his job to keep an eye on team conflicts and employee morale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Of course your manager can. If your manager believes that your personal relationship with your colleague is affecting the working environment it's their responsibility to do something about it. So long as they had a similar informal chat with both of you I'd say that they were perfectly professional about it.

Advertisement