Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nappy problems - what do you use?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

My wee girl has had a bit of a blistery nappy rash for the past 2 weeks (she's 4 weeks old now) and the PHN seems to think that it's an allergic reaction to the nappy rather than a nappy rash proper. We've been using Pampers newborn and Aldi nappies up to now but either one or both of those seems to be to blame. PHN recommended sticking with one brand for 2-3 weeks and waiting to see if there's an improvement and if not, moving on to a different brand until I find one that works. I only ever used Pampers, water & cotton wool with my wee man - I used wipes once and he had a rash for 3 weeks afterwards - so I guess we have sensitive bum genes.

I'm going to start with the Pampers and see how that goes, seeing as they worked for the boy. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so, which nappies did you find best? I'd love to be able to use a cheap brand like Aldi or Lidl but fear the little ladies árse might just be a bit too precious for them :(. Any tips for clearing up the rash would be good too - we've been using sudocreme or caldescene up til now but not seen much improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

i have always found mine could not use pampers or huggies or j&j wipes.
    I use aldi or lidl all the time. the little fella has a rash at the mo and i am going to put him in some cloth nappies tomorrow to see if it will clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tesco nappies here (newborn for the little un, 4+ for the middle one and pull ups at night for the eldest who is trained during the day!)... I can't use Johnson and Johnson wipes on any of mine... Huggies Pure all the way (the cream pack)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We use Lidl and up to now (11months), have found them great. Just the last week or two we've had a few leaks so have swapped to ones this week.
    The Lidl ones coped with some major explosions over the months though!

Can't offer help on the rash as we never had bad nappy rash here, but maybe pharmacist could recommend something. You could always take a pic if it on your phone so you can show them the problem.

If you want the handiness of wipes try Water Wipes, I found them brill at the start-they just have water and grapefruit extract in them and that's it. A bit more expensive than normal wipes but often on offer in Boots. Moved to Huggies pure after about 6 months cause I reckoned the babies skin would have strengthened up a good but by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Im using bepantehn cream for my sons rash. Now its not as bad as you describe your little ones to be. Its more just red and sometimes a litte dry. Both these products (more so the bephanten)have just been containing the rash, with a slight improvement, rather then clearing it up so i asked phn should i try something else and she said no, that he has it because he is teething. I know thats a little off topic so sorry. As for the nappy situation, im not sure. Iv used both pampers and huggies and have had no problems.
    From what iv heard the bephanten cream seems to be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

We started to have nappy rash issues. Procedure now is
    1. Remove "stuff" with Wipes from Aldi
    2. Pat bottom dry with tissue
    3. once bottom dry
    4. put on new nappy

Have had no issues since 2 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Try leaving the nappy off for little periods of time with a towel under the bum to catch any explosions.

Our little lady used to love the freedom of not having a nappy on and the little legs would be kicking nineteen to the dozen (don't really know what that means but loads of kicking)

The fresh air will help dry out the little rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

We use a cream called Metanium, unbelievable for sorting out nappy rash. Only problem is it's not licenced for sale in Ireland so you may need to buy it online from UK. Only cost £2 and is available over the counter in UK. They use it in hospitals here so don't know why it's not sold here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I only ever use wet cotton wool to clean, unless it's a very dirty one, then I use wipes but always wipe him again with wet cotton wool to get rid of any babywipe 'juice'.. then I apply vaseline as a barrier, or if he is a little red I use Sudocreme.

Has always worked grand.

When I first had him I had invested in a load of those "Water Wipes" and found them to be no good.. they still have chemicals and they made his bum sore after just a couple of uses, so from then on I just used the above routine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Speak to a pharmacist my baby had awful nappy rash and it was a mixture of things including lidl nappies.
    He suggested canesten cream for a few days and this with the combination of no lidl nappies and only the huggies brown or green wipes worked wonders.
    We tried the lidl nappies again after and it was a near instant reaction again.

Dropalene cream is also brilliant. Bephanten has never worked for us.Caldescene powder is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Dropalene cream is also brilliant. Bephanten has never worked for us.Caldescene powder is great too.

We recently started using Drapolene too for nappy rash and find it great, was recommended in the chemsits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

If it's a reaction to the actual nappy itself, try Nature nappies. (http://www.naty.com/uk/Products/tabid/55/Default.aspx) which you can buy in Boots. They're slightly more expensive than regular nappies, but not too much. They are 100% organic and don't have any of the usual materials or chemicals that the 'mainstream' nappies have. I used them for a long time on my first child and found them very good. They have a complete range of baby care items too, from wipes to washes and creams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We often use them or the Sainsburys eco ones, they are very good.
    The best that we found for little people were the boots own brand ones,as they get bigger they get what ever is cheapest (except obviously the ones we know we can't use)
    Recently that has been Pampers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Never had any problems with Pampers here
    But rashes with both Lidl & Aldi brands :(
    Must have sensitive little butts in our house
    (must be from Daddy they get that because my skin will take alot of abuse before it reacts) :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We always used http://ecobaby.ie/ecobaby_home_01.htm]Ecobaby's eco nappies. No added chemicals in them - natural materials as much as possible so less chance of allergic reactions.

I don't know how they compare with Nature nappies/Sainsbury's ones pricewise or materials - at the time they were the only eco nappies available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Thanks for all the replies and ideas guys. Will try to track down those organic nappies and get the fresh air on her as much as possible. I didn't have any luck with bepanthen before but will try it again, I hadn't heard of the other creams - will try them if there's no improvement. I can't use any wipes at all - tried the water wipes and the pure ones on the boy and he reacted to them as badly as he did to the J&J ones, so cotton wool and water all the way here until she gets to be 4 months or so. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Try earthmother.ie or econatural.ie for eco nappies they have the best selection at the best price. You can also get lots of different chemical free lotions and wipes for babies on there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i don't know if this will help anyone, but this is the way we do it for our 4 month old and he's very rarely got even a hint of nappy rash or redness.

Nappies from Lidl and they are excellent (tried the fancy organic huggies newborn ones first and they were fine, but leaked), changed during every feed.
    we use the branded water wipes for cleaning, can't fault them.
    vaseline to lube him up afterwards before the new nappy goes on (tesco's one goes on easier than the branded vaseline as its not as thick, but both work fine)
    any sign of redness and we swap the vaseline for sudocream, with a tube of bepanthen on standby, but i think we've only used that once in 4 months.

and that's pretty much it, aside from a daily all over wash with warm water and a bath once a week. oh, and some baby oil on his head from time to time to combat a little bit of cradle cap.

Advertisement