Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotrail No Ticket, **** on a Train

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Looks like the big fella "went off the rails" :D .................. I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

big guy is a legend.

it was either him or wait for the transport police to do the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

If he refuses to leave the train after a verbal warning there is no other option other than to physically remove him, he shouldn't have resisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

He hadn't paid and had no right to be there. One way or another, he was going to be physically removed by someone. Good enough for the little sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Big man to the rescue.
    Fair play to that old man for being protestant about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Big man to the rescue.
    Fair play to that old man for being protestant about it.

Ah, so that's what KeithAFC looks like!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That "**** on a Train" video lacks a decent script, any real build up in tension & the plot line is dreary.

It isn't a patch on "Snakes on a Plane".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

k.p.h wrote: »
    Kinda throws up the ol conundrum, if you verbally assault someone are they allowed physically assault you.. :cool:

Why that's not a conundrum at all my dear fellow

I see no difficulty or confusion here....................If someone verbally assaults me then I am entitled to beat seven shades of sh1t out of them at any time in a ten year period after the event without so much as a notice period being required and at the most inopportune of times for them (eg: a daughters christening, an endoscope appointment etc).................that is the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

joshrogan wrote: »
    If he refuses to leave the train after a verbal warning there is no other option other than to physically remove him, he shouldn't have resisted.

I'm not sure if you're on the right track, but it's certainly an interesting train of thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ghandee wrote: »
    Ah, so that's what KeithAFC looks like!:pac:
    persistent is the word I was looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

k.p.h wrote: »
    Kinda throws up the ol conundrum, if you verbally assault someone are they allowed physically assault you.. :cool:

There should be a law where you can throw some digs if someone uses "fighting words".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Big Guy tried to be a hero. Worked this time, but exactly how a lot of these dues end up with a knife in their stomach!

Fair play and all, but could've ended in tears had it been another little scrote!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ironically the person that filmed the footage could be in a bit of hot water as you aren't allowed to use cameras on the trains in Scotland. At least that's what a photographer mate told me, but it could just apply to professional filming/photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Bus Train ****.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Whats the story with people Recording Public Transport all of a sudden?

• I must be seeing a different video to everyone else. I see a conductor with an attitude and a bully who should have minded his own business. Sure, the teenager was rude, but throwing him off the train was totally uncalled for. He didn't deserve to be physically assaulted.

the "public" are no longer the homogenous mass they used to be

interspersed there are delightfully eccentric characters we have all come to know and love but the dedicated anthropological researcher must remain vigilant to capture footage to back up his/her theories to the point of keeping the cameras rolling at all times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I must be seeing a different video to everyone else. I see a conductor with an attitude and a bully who should have minded his own business. Sure, the teenager was rude, but throwing him off the train was totally uncalled for. He didn't deserve to be physically assaulted.

He hadnt paid his fare, so he didnt deserve to be on the train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Well, maybe he didn't have the cash for the fare bit was chancing it. Nothing wrong with that. He can't complain when he gets caught though, except to see that there is a nice warm train with many empty seats going across the hills and rivers to where he needs to go, and he isn't aloowed on cos he can't afford it.

• BBDBB wrote: »
    He hadnt paid his fare, so he didnt deserve to be on the train

It wasn't the big guy's business. He had no right no throw him off. Definitely no right to throw him off and cause him to cut his face open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Perth?

Does that train go all the way to Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

fawking students :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

It wasn't the big guy's business. He had no right no throw him off. Definitely no right to throw him off and cause him to cut his face open.

The Big Guy was a fare paying passenger who had watched the escalation of the dispute beyond what the camera captured and was Id suggest motivated to get the train moving as soon as possible so he and others could continue on their journey. I think that makes it his business. It was his choice to throw the guy off, just as it was the fare dodgers choice to break the law and then get awkward with a conductor trying to do his job.

I have little sympathy for the fare dodger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I must be seeing a different video to everyone else. I see a conductor with an attitude and a bully who should have minded his own business. Sure, the teenager was rude, but throwing him off the train was totally uncalled for. He didn't deserve to be physically assaulted.

that train was going nowhere with that guy on it. it would've waited at the station for the british transport police to come along and do exactly what the big man did. i've been on a train twice where it slowed down close to the next station so that the police could be there to take someone off it.
    the sooner that guy was off the train, the quicker everyone else could get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If he got off he wouldn't have been thrown off, he didn't use his noodle. Why should everybody else have to wait around for one dickhead to get off?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

There should be a law where you can throw some digs if someone uses "fighting words".

That sounds like fighting talk to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

**** on a Train - didn't Hitchcock direct that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Well I'm happy. I hate seeing people think they can get away with treating anyone (and especially auld fellas just doing their job) like that.

Fair play to the Big Man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

A conductor with an attitude?! FFS, it is his job to check tickets to make sure everyone has paid the right fare.

Some little knob has no right disturbing everyone elses journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He had no right no throw him off.

And certainly not before at least giving him a nice 'Glasgow Handshake' to help him on his way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some train spotters like to get on board and include people in their photos .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

I did pretty much the exact thing to a fella on the bus once who was acting the maggot and wouldn't get off when the driver stopped the bus and told him to get off.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a big cheer or a pat on the back from anyone. I'm moving to Scotland where I'll be appreciated! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Was wondering what people would say TBH, I don't think "the big man" should have touched him to be honest and probably should have waited for the police. Who the **** is anyone to see anyone and make a judgment call that involves picking someone up and pelting them off a train.

For the record I think they are both pricks,but plenty of situations where the big man just physically assaulted someone with genuine issues.

Sky King wrote: »
    **** on a Train - didn't Hitchcock direct that?

No Alfred Throbcock directed that one...

whole different kettle of dildos! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

While I commend the big guy for taking care of the problem, it would've been interesting to see (purely from a behavioural perspective) his response if there was 5 or 6 yobs involved and they were hounding and harassing passengers as can happen on public transport.

He may well have had one of 'those' days and decided enough is enough but I can't help feeling that the 'big guy' dealt with this yob merely because this was an 'easy' one to resolve and at the same time he also had an opportunity to show a bit of bravado and stamp his authority over the situation.
    It was a single teenage fare dodger, skobe definitely, but hardly someone threatening to rob woman with a knife or harassing old folk, in which case 'big guy' may have sat and kept stum like the vast majority of the public usually do.

If the general public were a bit more pro-active in dealing with more serious asb rather than an opportunistic fare dodger then there might have been less burning and looting during the summer in London.

It's interesting, but these isolated single skanger incidents are usually resolved easily enough as in the manner above but when the numbers increase and there is a group of them (usual case!), the 'big guys' will often just blend into the background in a similar manner to everyone else. Would it be so difficult when a 'gang' are in 'action' for 4 or 5 blokes to give a nod to each other and step up and dissolve a situation? It never happens in these circumstances though.
    Just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

amacca wrote: »
    No Alfred Throbcock directed that one...

whole different kettle of dildos! :pac:

Great director. Rear Entry and Dial F for Fister are American classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't know about Glasgow, but here if the big guy done that he could be arrested for Assault. I'm all with the big guy for doing what he done, i'd be pissed too if i was being delayed because some tw@ didn't want to pay the full fare. But there's nothing stopping that youth bringing the youtube video to the cops and making a complaint of assault.

But i think that is also the way that this country has gone. Years ago no-one would have batted an eyelid at the big guy doing that, and more probably would have helped. Nowadays people are too afraid to do anything because they could either get arrested or get assaulted themselves.

Dotrel wrote: »
    Great director. Rear Entry and Dial F for Fister are American classics.

Dont forget the thirty nine whores , the lady gobbles

not to mention

the man who blew too much
    and shadow of a cock

• Fear Uladh wrote: »
    A conductor with an attitude?! FFS, it is his job to check tickets to make sure everyone has paid the right fare.

Some little knob has no right disturbing everyone elses journey.

I have no idea what happened here, but the teenager is claiming he bought 2 singles instead of a return (it's cheaper) and that they accidentally gave him two tickets for the same journey. The same thing happened to me before. The trains in the UK are a complete shambles and the tickets are often really confusing. I've never taken a train where there hasn't been some sort of dispute or argument with the ticket collector and more often than not, the ticket collector acts like a condescending, power-mad knobend. I've managed to somehow sit in the wrong carriage/buy the wrong ticket the last 2 times I travelled by train, despite not having any problems in any other country, including ones where I couldn't understand a word of the language. I'm just saying that respect goes both ways. If someone starts talking to me like a naughty schoolchild and not listening to what I'm trying to tell them and demanding loudly that I pay them more money, I'm f**ked if I'm being polite back, whether they're just doing their job or not.

Now, this guy is clearly drunk and being a bit of a d*ck. I still think the guy who threw him off is more of a wanker and frankly, I think he's a bully. I also doubt that he would have been such a hard man if he'd been faced with your typical chavvy louts who actually intimidate people and wreck the train. This teenager (who is weedy and diabetic) was an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Never had a problem with Scotrail! Easier to buy train ticket in Scotland than it is in England(too many different company's overlapping)! This guy was going from Glasgow to Perth(no stops)and as a student he'd have had a student away day return availabe to him. Oh and btw his 'single' tickets were both for the same journey(Perth to Glasgow) and on different dates!

Saying that I'm not so sure the 'big man'(City banker btw) should have manhandled him the way he did though but then he was probably desperate to get home to his penthouse in the lovely town of Perth:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I think the guy DID buy a ticket.

The lad who was thrown off the train was interviewed on Sky today. He is adamant that he DID buy the two relevant tickets - there and back - but that the ticket machine printed both exactly the same. He threw his first ticket away but then, on the way back, realised his return ticket was exactly the same as the other ticket. He said he tried to explain this to the ticket inspector but he couldn't get a word in edgeways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Madam wrote: »
    Big man (City banker btw)

Oh, well he would be of course. He must be positively evil. He probably microwaves kittens, too.

Now, this guy is clearly drunk and being a bit of a d*ck. I still think the guy who threw him off is more of a wanker and frankly, I think he's a bully. I also doubt that he would have been such a hard man if he'd been faced with your typical chavvy louts who actually intimidate people and wreck the train. This teenager (who is weedy and diabetic) was an easy target.
    I think this guy was acting the bully to and no doubt would have thought twice if it was a few real heavy louts to confront .People have died on their own doorsteps to just for telling/asking anti-social people to move on .
    Batsy wrote: »

The lad who was thrown off the train was interviewed on Sky today. He is adamant that he DID buy the two relevant tickets - there and back - but that the ticket machine printed both exactly the same. He threw his first ticket away but then, on the way back, realised his return ticket was exactly the same as the other ticket. He said he tried to explain this to the ticket inspector but he couldn't get a word in edgeways.
    If true then it shows that video camera footage can sometimes only show us what we think might be happe ning and not necessarily the whole bigger picture of the event .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

That "**** on a Train" video lacks a decent script, any real build up in tension & the plot line is dreary.

It isn't a patch on "Snakes on a Plane".

Thought it was the Neil Prendeville sequel myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Shiner11

He was right to throw him off. He was delaying the train and everyone elses day. He hadn't the correct ticket and the train wouldn't move until he was gone or paid the correct fair.

He wasn't actually waving a knife at anybody but if it was anybody job to throw him off it was scotrail guard or simply wait till the police arrived to take over matters .If joe public is to get involved in such disputes then it has to go right across the board everywhere but he/she risk causing serious harm to the person and then he/she is up on assault .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Batsy wrote: »

Still his responsibility then, if he didn't check his tickets when he bought them he should buy another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

amacca wrote: »
    Dont forget the thirty nine whores , the lady gobbles

not to mention

the man who blew too much
    and shadow of a cock

Don't forget Vertigoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I applaud that "big fellow". He only intervened after the little scrote had been giving the ticket collector - a man not far short of retirement age by the looks of him - a lot of grief for some time. Just a pity the train was stopped.;);)

The growing number of people with recording devices in public transport is a welcome trend. An increased likelihood that their actions and stupidities will be recorded and either posted on social media or made available to the authorities is likely to have a deterrent effect - to some degree at least - on racists and other scumbags, and perhaps reduce the amount of crap decent members of the travelling public have to put up with. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I say fair play to your man, doesn't matter if the young lad had a single ticket for the wrong direction, I've had that on Bus Éireann a few times with a return ticket (where the wrong direction was punched on the outward journey for example/and where I bought a return but tried to use it going the opposite way) Guess what? Driver says no, I got off no questions asked or bought a new ticket.

It's about time more people got involved in these situations rather than looking the other way, minding their own business etc. That's exactly how the more serious little scumbags get their courage to do what they do.

And yes I have gotten involved in more serious situations on Dublin bus, with a number of little scummers in a group, and on the whole bus only one single person came to my aid, a Polish man. Everybody else looked out the windows and pretended not to notice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement