Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT - misleading advertising?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭

Got a leaflet in the door the other day suggesting I could get an "extra 3 months free" on the NCT - lost the leaflet but it's on their website as well:

2bv9c9.jpg

28soe2b.jpg

Now, of course, if you already have your last NCT cert you have already paid for it - and this suggests you are getting a cert that is worth more i.e. 2 years 3 months - when the 3 months is already on your previous cert.

Worse still they tell you it's at no extra cost!

they are clearly trying to dupe people into booking early.

Worth the Advertising Standards Authority or am I just being sensitive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They're just trying to get people to come in early, rather than leaving it until late, and then have them crying down the phone that they need an emergency appointment.

I don't think there's any false advertising it in really - there's no mention of cost, for one thing. Just the time validity of the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

dudara wrote: »
    They're just trying to get people to come in early, rather than leaving it until late, and then have them crying down the phone that they need an emergency appointment.

I don't think there's any false advertising it in really - there's no mention of cost, for one thing. Just the time validity of the cert.

so you don't think "wow, a cert for 2 years and 3 months all because" and "at no extra cost" is suggesting there is 3 months free? Is the extra validity of the cert not irrelevant when you already have the previous one?

It may not be a big issue but I definitely think it is designed to deceive.

I'm arguing even though I originally asked whether I was just being sensitive!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Whilst free might be misleading the point they are trying to make is that if you go early you'll still have two years validity from the due date rather than the test date.

It's a bit like passports - folk delay renewing them until they've expired, this is often during peak periods and the whole problem just cycles around again. However during the strike last year they said to folk that you could renew and they renew for 10 years beyond the expiry date of your current passport and not from date of issue. This mean that if your passport was expiring on 1/6/11 you could renew on 1/2/11 and have a new expiry of 1/6/21

A good idea with poor explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If they wanted to spread the work around a bit more, they could make an NCT disc valid from the date of the test and not base it on the registration date of the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If they wanted to spread the work around a bit more, they could make an NCT disc valid from the date of the test and not base it on the registration date of the vehicle.

The NCT disc is already only ever valid from the date of testing, however it expires on the anniversary of registration. If it expired 2 years from the actual test date you'll have some people trying to put off the NCT for another few months just like some do with Motor Tax.
    When it's based on the car's anniversary there is little to gain by dragging it out, it's only going to expire on the same date anyway. Might as well get it done early or on time.

Many people have a tendency to leave things to the last minute but even though they could have done the test 90 days in advance they still try to cram a test and possible a retest in before or soon after the due date. That seems to be the reason for the campaign imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The NCT disc is already only ever valid from the date of testing, however it expires on the anniversary of registration. If it expired 2 years from the actual test date you'll have some people trying to put off the NCT for another few months just like some do with Motor Tax.
    When it's based on the car's anniversary there is little to gain by dragging it out, it's only going to expire on the same date anyway. Might as well get it done early or on time.

Many people have a tendency to leave things to the last minute but even though they could have done the test 90 days in advance they still try to cram a test and possible a retest in before or soon after the due date. That seems to be the reason for the campaign imo.

It would be the same people dodging the test whatever the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

All this does is prove it's a revenue stream rather than a safety measure. Your car isn't safer for 3 months longer just because you brought it in early. Likewise your car isn't safe for less than two years just because you brought it in late.

Anyway, the ad is clearly deceptive as implies you're getting something worthwhile by bringing it in early when of course you aren't. Doesn't matter either way though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Zab wrote: »
    All this does is prove it's a revenue stream rather than a safety measure. Your car isn't safer for 3 months longer just because you brought it in early. Likewise your car isn't safe for less than two years just because you brought it in late.

Anyway, the ad is clearly deceptive as implies you're getting something worthwhile by bringing it in early when of course you aren't. Doesn't matter either way though.

Not getting something worthwhile?

Come talk to me if you hit a pothole and knock your tracking out a few weeks before the test.
    Could of done it early and you would be fine but now you have to get it done or fail the nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

castie wrote: »

Come talk to me if you hit a pothole and knock your tracking out a few weeks before the test.
    Could of done it early and you would be fine but now you have to get it done or fail the nct.

Okay, I can't argue against that but you're just highlighting that they shouldn't be offering this if their motive was safety. I meant that you aren't actually getting time you didn't pay for which is their clear implication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

castie wrote: »

you would really advocate not maintaining your car because you have an NCT?
    an NCT disc does not mean your car is fine for 2 years regardless of what happens in the intervening period. if something breaks you still have to fix it...

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    an NCT disc does not mean your car is fine for 2 years regardless of what happens in the intervening period. if something breaks you still have to fix it...

and he would have to fix it before the following NCT in any event! So there is no benefit in having had it done early - only delaying the inevitable.

Anyway, my point is not about safety issues but that the clearly intended implication of the ad is that you are getting "an extra 3 month's" worth as opposed to just dates on the cert - hence the use of the words WOW! and At no extra cost!

And that's not "poorly explained" - it's deliberate deception to those that will take the thing at face value before they realise they got nothing in return!
    Zab wrote: »
    I meant that you aren't actually getting time you didn't pay for which is their clear implication.

Exactly.

and he would have to fix it before the following NCT in any event! So there is no benefit in having had it done early - only delaying the inevitable.

Anyway, my point is not about safety issues but that the clearly intended implication of the ad is that you are getting "an extra 3 month's" worth as opposed to just dates on the cert - hence the use of the words WOW! and FREE!

And that's not "poorly explained" - it's deliberate deception to those that will take the thing at face value before they realise they got nothing in return!

Exactly.
    Where does it say free?
    Its just saying you can get a longer cert. I dont see the problem tbh.

subway wrote: »
    Where does it say free?
    Its just saying you can get a longer cert. I dont see the problem tbh.

apologies, confused "free" with "at no extra cost" (not that there is much of a difference ;) ) - amended post.

Yes, you are correct - it's just saying you are getting a longer cert. But suggesting you are getting more value for your money by saying "at no extra cost" - the extra 3 months validity is of absolutely no use or value to anyone whatsoever given that they already have these 3 months contained on their previous cert.

I'm not saying it's a big problem either (and probably wasn't even worth posting!) - but did think there was a little bit of cleverness going on in the wording!

:)
    Personally it doesn bother me, but i can see where you're coming from.
    They are trying to make it sound lile some secret deal by testing early but theres no benefit for them and no loss for the customer so its fairly innocent imo.

Maybe they just need a bi of extra cash for the xmas party? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I agree with you OP, I think it is misleading!

Advertisement