Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E46 Double Din install. Can anyone help?

• 13-12-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I need a quote on getting a stereo installed in my car. Can anyone recommend a good place in Cork/Dublin that would do the job?

The problem is its a 318CI E46. I want to get a double Din install however there isnt room for double Din. Its possible to fit the stereo however a small bit of cutting needs to be done. There are thousands of people on BMW forums online that did it themselves and said it was quite an easy install. Im just terrible with tools. Otherwise id do it myself.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭swhyte027

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey guys. I need a quote on getting a stereo installed in my car. Can anyone recommend a good place in Cork/Dublin that would do the job?

The problem is its a 318CI E46. I want to get a double Din install however there isnt room for double Din. Its possible to fit the stereo however a small bit of cutting needs to be done. There are thousands of people on BMW forums online that did it themselves and said it was quite an easy install. Im just terrible with tools. Otherwise id do it myself.

If my memory serves me correct wen u take out the factory radio u should have a very close to double din fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

You might have to relocate the heater control unit to get it to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

There's a bracket somewhere online for moving the heater control unit. The BMW satnav was of course double din and so have a look at the pics in this!
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610586

There are kits available to make a double din look somewhat original but you can always tell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

You may already have a stereo picked but if you are going doulbe din have you looked at the "dynavin" option that has double din front and single din rear, gives you sat nav at well. From menory though not cheap. Just an option if your changing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Theres a guy in Watergrasshill that's meant to be the best in Cork, i went to him myself and good results and a lot of people on this site swore by him too when i asked the same question last year.

His name is Donal (cant remember the company name) 0872519943

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

EDIT: was two years ago but he's still around and i only went to him 7 months ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60592936

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

macjohn wrote: »
    You may already have a stereo picked but if you are going doulbe din have you looked at the "dynavin" option that has double din front and single din rear, gives you sat nav at well. From menory though not cheap. Just an option if your changing at all

01d50a36c84a90e267f4548d4f0705b7.jpg

Thats the problem. The rear room is very cramped. Even the standard screen is only a single din unit yet has a double din face. Apparently you need to cut the air pipes at the back. Its a simple enough job just something i wouldnt be good at.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Does anyone have any experience with the Dynavin. I wouldnt trust a cheap chinese manufacturer without testing the units first.

01d50a36c84a90e267f4548d4f0705b7.jpg

Thats the problem. The rear room is very cramped. Even the standard screen is only a single din unit yet has a double din face. Apparently you need to cut the air pipes at the back. Its a simple enough job just something i wouldnt be good at.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Does anyone have any experience with the Dynavin. I wouldnt trust a cheap chinese manufacturer without testing the units first.

Pro parts have the dynavin units in stock (windows and android)

Pro parts have the dynavin units in stock (windows and android)

How much are they do you know. You can get a basic enough Double din screen now on caraudiocenter for 300-400 pounds. That would be a pioneer screen. If the Dynavin is much more than that then id just forget about it because its not worth the hassle and lack of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

For all the brilliant engineering that goes into some of BMW's products, for some reason they have never managed to include a half decent reliable sound system. Its seems to be an institutional thing with them, its been an issue for years.

Brilliant engines

Brilliant chassis

Audio systems better suited to the Tata Nano.

Its a global issue if you do the forum thing, crap quality unless you spend megabucks, and piss poor reliability regardless of what you spend.

My last BM had a poxy audio, dud speakers etc. The hassle involved in sorting it was too much. It really, really pissed me off. Got rid of it.

After nearly 20 years I'm going cold on this brand. They seem to be determined to rival Merc in the electrical compexity/unreliability/unsolveble problem league.

Haven't decided on my next chariot but BMW are certainly far from top of my list.

Maybe I was spoiled with several uber reliable, entertaining to drive models? the last one was a sickener, I've now gone cold on them.

PS sorry for thread drift but I needed to rant ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Fishtits wrote: »
    For all the brilliant engineering that goes into some of BMW's products, for some reason they have never managed to include a half decent reliable sound system. Its seems to be an institutional thing with them, its been an issue for years.

Brilliant engines

Brilliant chassis

Audio systems better suited to the Tata Nano.

Its a global issue if you do the forum thing, crap quality unless you spend megabucks, and piss poor reliability regardless of what you spend.

My last BM had a poxy audio, dud speakers etc. The hassle involved in sorting it was too much. It really, really pissed me off. Got rid of it.

After nearly 20 years I'm going cold on this brand. They seem to be determined to rival Merc in the electrical compexity/unreliability/unsolveble problem league.

Haven't decided on my next chariot but BMW are certainly far from top of my list.

Maybe I was spoiled with several uber reliable, entertaining to drive models? the last one was a sickener, I've now gone cold on them.

PS sorry for thread drift but I needed to rant ;)

I have to agree te standard set up is truly awful across the range.
    I have two cars with logic 7 while it's generally excellent it ain't perfect
    It's a €1500 extra and a giant cost for something that should be totally perfect a la audi a5 b&o system or the b&w in the Jaguars of late!
    I haven't heard the mid range Hifi upgrade that they offer I'd imagine it's close enough to the logic7 and might be worth it but it should be standard!
    The head units themselves are fine but the sound is the issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The harman kardon systems they have are pretty good as far as installed systems go. I'd one in my 75, and in my MINI.

You will definitely need to relocate the heater panel, but there are adapters available from BMW to do it.

I know i need to relocate the HVAC unit. What i want to know is if anyone has experience installing a double din in an e46. I know you must cut some of the heater pipes at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

This link should give you a good idea what's involved

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10827

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the menu layout and navigating with the little wheel on those nav units looks like it was designed in the 80s

kenwood make the best in dash nav units imo , its a pity that the double din brackets look a bit crappy http://www.janus-design.net/english/images/e46hd32700_480.jpg with those gaping spaces that dont match anything either side.

How much are they do you know. You can get a basic enough Double din screen now on caraudiocenter for 300-400 pounds. That would be a pioneer screen. If the Dynavin is much more than that then id just forget about it because its not worth the hassle and lack of support.

€799 for Android version
    €699 for Ce Windows version

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showpost.php?p=389818&postcount=1

€799 for Android version
    €699 for Ce Windows version

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showpost.php?p=389818&postcount=1

That is EXTREMELY expensive for a cheap unknown brand. Im not willing to pay that.

Advertisement