Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Sub forums

Options
  • 13-12-2011 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

In the military section there are sub forums for the Cold War, WW1 and WW2. Considering this is an Irish forum, I think there should be sub forums for the Easter Rising (1916), The Tan War (1919-1921) and the valiant defence of the Irish Republic against Free State/British attack in the Civil War (1922-1923)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I don't see the point.

There's 40 posts total mentioning the Easter Rising across the entire section including sub-forums and only about 5 threads total dedicated to issues specific to the Rising.

The other two suggestions yield even lower numbers.

There's not enough traffic to warrant a general Irish subforum, never mind so specific a breakdown as suggested.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's no reason why there couldn't be except that no-one has ever requested them. All new forum requests go through a selection process here, so feel free to start a thread. That said, I think you might have a better chance rolling all 3 into one forum request rather than requesting 3 separate forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Fiatach

Thanks, will try that. Should have posted this in 'forum requests' which ive only saw. im only new and just discovered there is a forum dedicated to Mustard. I maybe should talk to whoever requested that one lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Fiatach wrote: »
    In the military section there are sub forums for the Cold War, WW1 and WW2. Considering this is an Irish forum, I think there should be sub forums for the Easter Rising (1916), The Tan War (1919-1921) and the valiant defence of the Irish Republic against Free State/British attack in the Civil War (1922-1923)

All of these are discussed in the History & Heritage page so don't forget about us!!! There is no need to divide them up into sub-forums either given the low volume of posts. There is quite alot of cross over between some of the sub-forums of military and the history page. Most of the Irish related threads tend to end up in History and Heritage though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Given the militant (for want of a better word) Republican stance that I've seen in posts of yours that have been reported, I'm not sure giving you a sub-forum to soap-box in is a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Tan War?

Cool.

Dades wrote: »
    Given the militant (for want of a better word) Republican stance that I've seen in posts of yours that have been reported, I'm not sure giving you a sub-forum to soap-box in is a good idea.

Ah, the Free State army lads got a bit upset when I said we should only have a 32 county army and pointed out Ireland consisted of 32 counties and not 26 as they thought. Don't worry I'll find an outlet.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Don't worry I'll find an outlet.

As Dades pointed out, soapboxing is not permitted on boards. This is a discussion site, not somewhere to simply provide an outlet for a person's political views, so please consider your posting style when discussing these topics to avoid breaching site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think there should be sub forums for the Easter Rising (1916), The Tan War (1919-1921) and the valiant defence of the Irish Republic against Free State/British attack in the Civil War (1922-1923)
    In the context of the Military Forum, these are not militarily significant (they may be significant in other ways).
    Des wrote: »
    The Tan War?
    The D4s -v- the East Bay Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Ah, the Free State army lads got a bit upset when I said we should only have a 32 county army and pointed out Ireland consisted of 32 counties and not 26 as they thought. Don't worry I'll find an outlet.
    Free state???

Is that you Ian?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    In the context of the Military Forum, these are not militarily significant.

I think an Irish guerilla army taking on the worlds largest empire at that time and dealing a hammer blow to that fallen empire is military significant but maybe not politically correct on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And that is why you don't get 'it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

+1

To be specific I would vote for a Military Sub-Forum called 'Irish Independence' encompassing all related Irish Military related Irish independence related subjects topics and threads.

I think it would generate interest particularly in the run up to the centenary anniversaries.

If you look at the publishing world you will see that this period is already the focus of an increased profile in recent years ;

http://www.mercierpress.ie/MilitaryHistoryoftheIrishCivilWar/

I don't see much validity to the arguments against this on the basis of anti-republicanism or that there currently are not many posts on the subject of 'Easter Rising' from a military perspective.

Advertisement