Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to choose a registered show name for a puppy?

• 13-12-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

What it says on the tin really! I get to choose my puppy's 'official' name and haven't a clue how to go about it :confused:. For some reason it feels like a very important decision :rolleyes:. My current dog had her pet name changed about 3 times before I settled on a name that suited her and I won't have the pleasure of getting to meet this fella before hand - cue a month's worth of pulling my hair out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Ooh exciting!
    With us we chose a pet name and worked around it.
    Some people pick a theme like a favorite sweet or show or singer!
    I wanted to call one of my guys "Louis"but struggled to find a "stage name" i liked so we decided on Fred with his ped name being "Red Devil", suits him as his coat is red.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ooh exciting!

I don't think I'll be able to contain myself having to wait till the end of February :p I'm already bouncing off the walls with impatience. Waiting to bring them home is very different from waiting on 'the list' :o

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When we were choosing the names of our puppies we tried to use parts of their parents and grandparents or things that meant a lot to us. The daddy was Spice Dream and the mummy was Cassie (not from a show home so she just named that whatever normal name she was going to use) so we had Pipe Dream (also the mummy's real name is Pippa), Dream Come True (the one I picked and loved the most for that), Classy Cassie and Dark Knight (my brother picked that one, in fairness, his coat is really very black). I don't know how people do it for loads of litters, we struggled with just the four!

Though people have loads of different systems, I heard of one breeder where every litter starts with a different letter.

We just aimed for something that wouldn't look embarrassing if someone read it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well I got to pick flo' s reg name. Her name.is "rosamic you've got the love" aka florence or flo for short. Shes named after the florence and theMachine song
    so I called her flo for short. Rosamic is the breeders prefix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

What it says on the tin really! I get to choose my puppy's 'official' name and haven't a clue how to go about it :confused:. For some reason it feels like a very important decision :rolleyes:. My current dog had her pet name changed about 3 times before I settled on a name that suited her and I won't have the pleasure of getting to meet this fella before hand - cue a month's worth of pulling my hair out!
    hi what breed colour sex and personality and area born or launguage of its parents as in soft loving or bold wild... all my dogs over the years were naned on sight, as now it actually is a mental issue or sub mind.. i have dog called sheeba/ queen of sheeba, it just happens view dog and your happy place or mind wil name dog ...

• Advertisement

The dog is in the UK and is only a week old, so not much to go on yet! He will need a name to be registered under and will be fully vaccinated first before I can go get him, so it's a bit far to travel for purposes of choosing a name ;). I'll be getting regular updates and photos though so hopefully inspiration will strike at some stage. He's a blue merle Sheltie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I choose the silliest names I could think of for my lad, his pet name is Cooper, and for his reg name is was a race between, Jimmy Cooper, Cooper Trooper (a play on the Super Mario Turtle Koopa Troopa) and King Cooper Kincaid. The latter won out, keep in mind my dog was being neutered so it just ended up being fun for me.

As for your lad, if he was mine he would be called Merle Haggard:D

I think I need a short-list of pet names and try to figure out from that what might work, just as well I have plenty of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

doug, hamilton, hugo,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hehe my guy's registered name is 'Twitcher Explorer" lol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I got to pick both Buddy's and Izzy's

Buddy - My Boss Maximus... His fathers was My Boss jack

Izzy - Isabella Von Bel Mondo... Von Bel Mondo is the breeder Kennel name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We got to pick the little dogs name, they had the prefix Alana's princess and my daughter is a big Terry Pratchett fan so she got Tiffany after the witch in wee free men.
    I refused to go around calling Princess Tiffany so we agreed on Tiffi for short. :D

Oliver was named already, his breeder picked all tv character related names so I've a "Mister Poirot" after the detective(sorry spelling) with the breeder prefix before it.

For a blue merle how about something with "smoke" in it?
    Would suit colour and personality, they are fast little buggers those shelties:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Is the "registered" name, the name the announcer would have to read when introducing the dog in a show ring?

Could you have a bit of cheeky fun with it? Register a name like: Ilikeeatingbones, or mywifesdogisa****zu.

My Husky "Thunder" is registered as "Mickazs Whirlwind", I don't know what goes into choosing a name or why it's important, but from how it was explained to me, the registered name, is kind of like a chassis number, something to uniquely identify it later, and has no real repercussions.
    I was told each dog has to have a unique name registered, and no two can have the same name.

But once you see it, you'll know what you want to name it, ask for a portrait and two profile shots if you can't travel to see it.

"Fluffy ticklepants" is reserved :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the show name for my first show dog was, champion alpaka red hot rod,[punky] my second bitch was dozy day dream [beky] my third was champion of the county [buster] then there was cowbit red bull [teddy] and this dog i have now is fallen hero[TJ]

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

We have Shaz Pixie :D but for "us" it's Alfie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Ozzies breeder combined their kennel name with our surname:),Not that we can show him cause he is white :)x

Okay - more questions :p, if the dog is registered with the KC in the UK, will me having an address in Ireland be an issue for them (the KC)? Also will I need to register again with the IKC or is this not necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Okay - more questions :p, if the dog is registered with the KC in the UK, will me having an address in Ireland be an issue for them (the KC)? Also will I need to register again with the IKC or is this not necessary?

No it won't be an issue but yeah you will have to register with the IKC.
    Are going to be showing??

Yes, you will have to register the dog with the IKC if you intend on showing it.

Vince32 wrote: »
    Is the "registered" name, the name the announcer would have to read when introducing the dog in a show ring?Could you have a bit of cheeky fun with it? Register a name like: Ilikeeatingbones, or mywifesdogisa****zu.

want to name it, ask for a portrait and two profile shots if you can't travel to see it.

"Fluffy ticklepants" is reserved :D

Vince, they dont announce the dogs name when you go into the ring at shows.

• Advertisement

garkane wrote: »
    Are going to be showing??

I will have 2 wait and see how he turns out obviously but so far all seems to be well! The main issue with blue merles is that the colouring is good enough but i'm told this won't be an issue for him going on current appearances. The breeder will know better in a month or so though if he's a show dog in the making.

andreac wrote: »
    Vince, they dont announce the dogs name when you go into the ring at shows.

I'm hoping that i'll get to hear it announced in the agility ring though! Not expecting much am I? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I'm hoping that i'll get to hear it announced in the agility ring though! Not expecting much am I? :D

I've done a couple of agility competitions with Jazz (all about Jazz) and to be honest I prefer the ones where they use the pet name rather than the show name... Such a big name for such a likkle dog :D

My girls name is very apt as in her world it is all about her :p

Be careful when you register with the IKC as they got her DOB wrong and they also didn't give her the name I had on the form (all that jazz)

Advertisement