Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obligatory to have use by dates on packaging?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

Hi,

My local shop doesn't display a use by date on a lot of food items. I've ended up buying food that goes off much sooner than expected and it ends up getting dumped.

I've mentioned this once or twice to shop assistants who say they don't know why the dates are missing. (I presume food should come in with the use by dates on the packaging?).

Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement for use by dates to be displayed on packaging for food?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Use by dates are only needed on products that must to be used by a certain date. Many products don't need to be used in a particular time, and as such may not have any date on them. Other's have a best before date, which merely indicates that the product will be best if consumed before that date, not that it can't be consumed after it.

I believe that only products that would be harmful to consume when gone beyond their use by date actually need to have that date displayed. Fresh meat would be one example. Bread however can be consumed years after it was produced without any harmful side-effects. May not taste too nice, but not harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Butcher shops never seem to have use by dates on non packaged meat. Are they exempt or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Meat, Fish, Dairy, eggs - they are the only things I would look for dates on - and even still I would do a smell test as there's always maybe a few days leeway - particularly with dairy.

I wouldn't worry about best before dates on anything - I've used jars that are well out of date that haven't poisoned me.

What exactly is the type of foodstuff that you are concerned about OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

jor el wrote: »
    Use by dates are only needed on products that must to be used by a certain date. Many products don't need to be used in a particular time, and as such may not have any date on them.

I believe that only products that would be harmful to consume when gone beyond their use by date actually need to have that date displayed. Fresh meat would be one example.

Thats not quite correct.

It is a legal requirement for a 'foodstuff' to have a use by or best before date. The former is required where foodstuffs are highly perishable, the former for everything else. There are a bunch of exceptions for things like certain alcohol and fresh fruit and plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Don't have time to read it but some info might be here
    http://www.fsai.ie/legislation/food_legislation/poultrymeat/marketing_standards.html

in the case of fresh poultrymeat, the date of minimum durability must be indicated by the ‘use by’ date in accordance with Article 10 of Directive 2000/13/EC. This indication must be followed by a description of the storage conditions which must be observed.

http://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Consol_Dir2000_13%283%29.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If I didn't see a use-by date on printer-ink cartridges for example, I wouldn't buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

On a somewhat related note, it is a requirement to display the nutritional information of the food? Or is it just advised that they display it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have never seen use by date on Aldi veg and fruit. Still it seems to last for ages anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I have noticed lately in different supermarkets a certain brand of milk is starting to have more and more bottles with the date on the lids missing, it started with maybe one on the shelf, but the last week i was shopping i counted at least 7 bottles with no date, its been increasing bit by bit :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

cast_iron wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note, it is a requirement to display the nutritional information of the food?

Not yet; but it will be soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement