Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden frame house/ insulation

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Cornwall

Hi Again,
    Posted a few weeks back re little breezes sometimes coming from electrical outlets in timber frame homes.
    There is an additional issue. I am posting on day of bad storm Jan 3rd...and When I stand upstairs you can sometimes feel vibrations during extreme windy gusts... also when you touch the walls you can sometimes feel this. So does this mean the support structure of the house is under threat\being weakened as this takes all the load?
    Would it be normal for timber frame during extremly bad storms to feel this? Its a 2 storey house on its own...on a exposed site. Having grown up in a terrace block house -this would be new to me. I know that block houses are more static and wood is not so but I would appreciate any opinions re Is there something up with this house?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Springcabbage

Hi cornwall,

That sound mad it was a ad nightlast night but thing are holing down my end!!!
    I dont have any experience in this probably get a tech head in all the best with it!!

Hi bryanF

Just going to lay down Kingspan on the floor of the attic its a dormer so working on the eves at the w/end

Hi Bryan

Forgot to mention I went around all the windows today and started using some clear silicone to fill in gaps (loads of them!!!) doing upstairs tomorrow busy busy!!!

Hi bryan f
    I am back again I have done all the windows outside and under the sills on the inside looks good and there seems to be an improvement

Just a quick one I am doing up a room in the house and before I get it done I was thinking of taking down the current plasterboard and putting up some thermal panels

What do you think it's brick on the outside with the timber frame and about 50mm insulation then the slab

Do you think it's worth doing and if so which panels do you think should use

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi bryan f
    I am back again I have done all the windows outside and under the sills on the inside looks good and there seems to be an improvement

Just a quick one I am doing up a room in the house and before I get it done I was thinking of taking down the current plasterboard and putting up some thermal panels

What do you think it's brick on the outside with the timber frame and about 50mm insulation then the slab

Do you think it's worth doing and if so which panels do you think should use

Cheers
    so 100mm brick, 50mm air cavity, 50mm insulation in the timber frame? how thick is the timber frame? what type of insulation is in there currently?

i would probably recommend something like this, while it will be more expensive than petroleum based insulation, its breathable and natural (like what is probably there already) so less chance of moisture build-up

Advertisement