Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual level of water in the canal?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭

For the last while the water in the canal that goes down by the back of the Roisin has been really really low in the mornings and really high in the evenings.
    I assume it's all controlled, so I was wondering if anyone here might be able to enlighten me as to what they're up to?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's controlled by Mother Nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's controlled by Mother Nature.

...and the Salmon Weir if Ficheall is referring to the water above the lock gate at Roisín's. Probably they (fisheries board maybe?) are anticipating flooding on the Corrib and are allowing the water level down.

Would below the lock gate not be controlled by the gates to the Claddagh basin to a large extent?

I think those Claddagh gates are open to facilitate sewerage works...and Mother Nature.

And yeah the last three decades of filth is visible when the tide is low..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

They've been doing works on pipes in or around the Claddagh Church and the gates at the Claddagh Basin have been open to an extent to facilitate this.

The Salmon Weir wouldn't really affect this to any noticeable degree, in fact the lad in the fisheries who controls this has a preference for leaving it wide open all the time, whether it needs to be or not. This has caused the Bish rowing club to be unable to launch their boats due to lack of water over their side.

Robbo wrote: »

The Salmon Weir wouldn't really affect this to any noticeable degree, in fact the lad in the fisheries who controls this has a preference for leaving it wide open all the time, whether it needs to be or not. This has caused the Bish rowing club to be unable to launch their boats due to lack of water over their side.

It'd effect the Eglinton Canal before the lock gate behind Roisín's though.

• Advertisement

.....This has caused the Bish rowing club to be unable to launch their boats due to lack of water over their side.

He must be a Jes lad :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

snubbleste wrote: »
    He must be a Jes lad :cool:

I think I just dropped my monocle

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

churchview wrote: »
    It'd effect the Eglinton Canal before the lock gate behind Roisín's though.
    Not as much as you'd think. The level varies by maybe 2 feet over the year from say the back of the College Bar down.

... the College Bar down.

I still call that the new College Bar. Showing my age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

They've been doing works on pipes in or around the Claddagh Church and the gates at the Claddagh Basin have been open to an extent to facilitate this.

The fisheries don't control the gates on the Salmon Weir. That is done by the OPW. They are the ones responsible for water level. They have a small little yard beside the weir behind the two fisheries buildings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

That stretch of the canal is for the most part, only influenced by the tide. Parkavera lock gate upstream of the Roisin stops any great influx of water coming from the Salmon Weir side of things, and it empties directly into the lower Corrib just upstream of the Wolfe Tone Bridge, between it and the Fisheries Tower, reducing any effect the Basin's sea gate would have on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

wet-paint wrote: »
    That stretch of the canal is for the most part, only influenced by the tide. Parkavera lock gate upstream of the Roisin stops any great influx of water coming from the Salmon Weir side of things, and it empties directly into the lower Corrib just upstream of the Wolfe Tone Bridge, between it and the Fisheries Tower, reducing any effect the Basin's sea gate would have on it.

I've never seen the canal so low that the river just above the Wolfe Tone bridge was emptying into it though. I think it was even lower than when they were building that nice big apartment building on the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

If the lock at the claddagh basin is open at low tide it'd let the level drop below the sluice at fisheries tower which normally sets the low level for that stretch of canal...

Advertisement