Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare Question

Options
  • 14-12-2011 3:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had a look around and can't really seem to find an answer. I've broken my nose while doing my 3 months agri work and I can't find a straight answer if I'm covered under the Irish Australian agreement. All I can see is that its non-elective stuff that covered and I haven't a clue if it's covered within that.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

An australian google search for "medicare irish agreement"
    Yielded this first result
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp
    Your entitlements

As a resident of the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand you are entitled to free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient at a public hospital and access to subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme during your visit to Australia. This covers any ill health or injury needing medical treatment while in Australia. To access these benefits you should show your passport at hospitals or pharmacies. You are not entitled to Medicare benefits for non-hospital medical care and you will not be issued with a Medicare card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Where do you work?

Queensland has a Work Cover programme where costs for injuries that happen at work/on way to work/coming home from work are covered by the employer's insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stephenmario

I take it that I can get it done covered by Medicare... I had no clue if the procedure was done at public hospitals I thought you needed to be referred on first...

I'm living in Victoria so no good I'm afraid
    hussey wrote: »
    An australian google search for "medicare irish agreement"
    Yielded this first result
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp
    Your entitlements

As a resident of the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand you are entitled to free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient at a public hospital and access to subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme during your visit to Australia. This covers any ill health or injury needing medical treatment while in Australia. To access these benefits you should show your passport at hospitals or pharmacies. You are not entitled to Medicare benefits for non-hospital medical care and you will not be issued with a Medicare card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I take it that I can get it done covered by Medicare... I had no clue if the procedure was done at public hospitals I thought you needed to be referred on first...

I'm living in Victoria so no good I'm afraid

http://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/wsinternet/worksafe/sitetools/about+worksafe/about+worksafe/injury+and+claims
    - Contact these guys and see what they say

What procedure do you need done? Is it a realignment? Emergency treatment is covered by the reciprocal agreement, and you could make the argument that nose realignment is.. well not an emergency, maybe semi-elective (you have a wait a few week until the swelling goes down before you can do anything).

Advertisement