Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Longines Master Chrono Moonphase

• 14-12-2011 5:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi, first post in the section and this may be a silly question but why is the rose gold version of the above watch so much more expensive than the steel, we are talking more than double the price but as far as I can tell the mechanics are the same? Really like the gold but there is no way I would pay that much extra for it. In saying that if I won the Euromillions tomorrow I'd buy the IWC Portuguese Grande. Every time I see it in the shop I drool.
    But given the theme that I own a poor mans Ferrari, an Alfa, I will have to scale down my expectations and the leads to my next question would people rate the Longines L26734783 (silver one I mention above) ahead of the Raymond Weil Maestro Moonphase in terms of build quality, more craftmanship, looks (subjective I know) history, and exclusivity? Which one would impress and make people smile more.

Any other suggestions very welcome by the way as I know very little about watches you may be able to point me in the right direction to something that is less well known but has plenty of history and would be a similar style.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just to help out Alfalad, here are the two watches in question:

Longines;
    longines_3.jpg

Raymond Weil;
    8808058?$detail475$

Well I hope these are the right ones. :o

Personally speaking I'd go for the Longines. Significantly better history behind the marque(I'm surprised they're not promoted more on this point, though they're bigger in Asian markets), better resale value too. I would suspect, though open to correction, that quality is going to be higher too. I've handled a couple of newer Longines and the build quality looked pretty good. The RW's I've handled were a bit "meh" by comparison. It also has a chronograph which the RW doesn't(if that's the correct one I pictured).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just to help out Alfalad, here are the two watches in question:

Longines;
    longines_3.jpg

Raymond Weil;
    8808058?$detail475$

Well I hope these are the right ones. :o

Personally speaking I'd go for the Longines. Significantly better history behind the marque(I'm surprised they're not promoted more on this point, though they're bigger in Asian markets), better resale value too. I would suspect, though open to correction, that quality is going to be higher too. I've handled a couple of newer Longines and the build quality looked pretty good. The RW's I've handled were a bit "meh" by comparison. It also has a chronograph which the RW doesn't(if that's the correct one I pictured).

Yeah they are the watches, although I'd go for a brown strap on the RW. But thank you very much, thats the sort of info I was hoping for. Knew that Longines have a long history but given they are owned by Swatch now wasn't sure if that would lower them in peoples eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Longines all the way for me. Much nicer looking watch for me, and the brand is held in much higher esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

alfalad wrote: »
    Knew that Longines have a long history but given they are owned by Swatch now wasn't sure if that would lower them in peoples eyes.

Seems like half the Swiss watch industry is owned by Swatch these days, including some very high end brands (e.g. Breguet, Glashutte Original) and other very well regarded brands like Omega, so that doesn't detract from Longines at all.

I prefer the Longines here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I like the balance of the RW over the Longines. Both are very nice but if I were to pick either it would be the RW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I like the balance of the RW over the Longines.

I totally agree with this. The RW looks less busy to me. The Longines has better "brand cache" but the RW gets my vote when its comes to the looks/style of the above watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Any other suggestions very welcome by the way

As you seem to like gold, might I suggest a Russian? :D

Build quality should be good; exclusivity...mmmhh ...well, it's one of 150; history ...the movement was in space at some point and is about to be discontinued ...will that do?

BURAN-31679-2416182_700_01.jpg
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/BURAN-V-M-Russian-mechanical-Poljot-Chronograph-31679-moonphase-watch-/330645969302?pt=DE_Kleidung_Schmuck_Accessoires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item4cfc091996

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Much prefer this moonphase

bedlam wrote: »
    Basing it on looks, the Longines has waaay too much going on, it looks like it had a run in with a Brightling. RW for me.

Taking the brands and build into account Longines would be the better buy.

It's not silver but a stainless steel case

Sorry of course it's steel not silver, knew that but not sure why I wrote silver. Regardless of that is the price diff down to the weight of gold in it? Other brands don't seem to more than double the price for gold.

On the face, although it is busy I do like it. Equally I see your point and I do like the Roman numerials on the RW. I won't be buying for a number of months and Longines have a couple of version so that choice is not set in stone. I think it would be a nice day to day watch. Equally in a couple of years (or less) I'd like to pick up a nice "dress" watch, a simple Omega in black, the De Ville prehaps or something similar. I used to like Breitling so I am improving :D. But equally you make a good point so hence if I got bored of it in a couple of years and wanted to sell, which would hold it's value better and most people seem to say the Longines.

peasant wrote: »
    As you seem to like gold, might I suggest a Russian? :D

Build quality should be good; exclusivity...mmmhh ...well, it's one of 150; history ...the movement was in space at some point and is about to be discontinued ...will that do?

BURAN-31679-2416182_700_01.jpg
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/BURAN-V-M-Russian-mechanical-Poljot-Chronograph-31679-moonphase-watch-/330645969302?pt=DE_Kleidung_Schmuck_Accessoires_Uhren_Armbanduhren&hash=item4cfc091996

Thats a lot of gold, interesting that it's limited release though!

On another note thanks to all for their responses. I have learned a lot already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What is the retail on the RW?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Don't let my ramblings put you off any brand, if there is something you like I say go for it :)
    Really, that's the entirety of it. There are folks around here who love G-Shocks, Russian watches, Fossil watches, high end watches, homage watches, vintage, etc. All get pleasure from their choices. Basically, you like, you buy.:) You have to post wrist shots mind you, or there'll be trouble. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

As you know there's going to be a premium for gold, as to why the Longines in gold is so much more is hard to say, it would really depend on what you are comparing (e.g. it could be a case of gold plating instead of solid gold). They'll certainly be adding a *bit* of a premium for the privilege, though I wouldn't have though ~$6k is that bad for the Moonphase in gold.

Don't let my ramblings put you off any brand, if there is something you like I say go for it :)

I now am not so fond of the Breitlings so you haven't put me off don't worry. The best price I saw for the gold was $9k where as the steel was $3k. Although no gold version of the RW that I could find other gold watches only seemed to be 500-1k more expensive hence I was rather confused.

I am heading to NY at Easter so may try pick one up there, we will see how the cash flow is. I'm hoping ot would be cheaper pick it up there.

Also to give more clarity here is the watch I have worn every day for the last 8 years or so. I didn't realise how badly it needs a clean until I looked at the second photo, and they are iphone shots!
    6513166409_bac7141e51_z.jpg
    Untitled by Vinny Meade, on Flickr
    6513179641_e5a8b4335f_z.jpg
    Untitled by Vinny Meade, on Flickr

Following on from this I was in the shop yesterday and I noticed in the range for 2011/12 they have the L2.739.4.71.3 listed but the shop said they have not got them in and won't till the new year. I can find very little info on it. Any ideas where I could find out when it will be released and where would stock it in NY? Thanks for all the help thus far by the way, it is much appreciated and one of the things I love about boards in general!

L2.739.4.71.3.jpg

I'd defo prefer that to the other Longines personally speaking. Very funky. As to availability I'm afraid I'm not much help there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

There's one of those Longines in the used section of a jewellers on Talbot St. I don't know the name, but it's beside the Italian Connection restaurant, near the Irish Life Mall. There's no price on it, but their other used stock is sensibly priced, so I'd imagine this is too.

EDIT: shop is called Dublin Goldsmiths and they have 10% off all used watches at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Following on from this I was in the shop yesterday and I noticed in the range for 2011/12 they have the L2.739.4.71.3 listed but the shop said they have not got them in and won't till the new year. I can find very little info on it. Any ideas where I could find out when it will be released and where would stock it in NY? Thanks for all the help thus far by the way, it is much appreciated and one of the things I love about boards in general!

L2.739.4.71.3.jpg

What is the sun dial below the day markers, another complication I presume?

bogmanfan wrote: »
    There's one of those Longines in the used section of a jewellers on Talbot St. I don't know the name, but it's beside the Italian Connection restaurant, near the Irish Life Mall. There's no price on it, but their other used stock is sensibly priced, so I'd imagine this is too.

EDIT: shop is called Dublin Goldsmiths and they have 10% off all used watches at the moment.

The more recent one I posted has not been released yet as far as I know so doubt it is that one. Also currently in Sydney so not able to check it out, but thanks very much for letting me know.

Advertisement