Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactor Buzzing

Options
  • 14-12-2011 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I returned tonight to find the contactor in my fusebox buzzing. It usually makes no noise. Could it have something to do with the high winds? Will I need to replace the contactor, or is there a chance it will have repaired itself by tomorrow night? It's a new Hager fusebox. No more than 5 years old

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Nothing to do with the weather. Best to get it replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with 2011
    i would replace it just so it doesnt let you down sometime
    this thread may help you
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75025458

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Right no buzz tonight so I think it'll be alright for a while yet. I wonder what happened last night

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bridrum

Yillan wrote: »
    Right no buzz tonight so I think it'll be alright for a while yet. I wonder what happened last night
    Its more than likely jus some dirt r dust stuck between d contacts. Nothing to worry bout if its coming and going we get it d whole time in d factory and v rarely change a contacter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It wouldnt be dirt between the electrical contacts on a direct fed contactor, but between the pole faces that causes this. Usually a bit of dirt, or rust on the pole faces causes the buzzing, as the pole faces dont close cleanly now, and so they chatter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

get a solid state relay fitted theres no mechanical parts so no noise !

i goggled this one but theres lots of other types they cost about 20 euros

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/CRYDOM-SOLID-STATE-RELAY-CKRD4820-Din-Rail-20Amp-530Vac-/110759469005

make sure you get a registered contractor to fit it

Advertisement