Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease ...

Options
  • 14-12-2011 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Good morning..

Interesting situation here.

NB Our landlord is almost illiterate; not his fault as he was the eldest in a large farming family and would have been taken out of school to work on the farm. Forms etc terrify him, bless him.

The house had been empty years; we have special needs for medical and other reasons and although the place is as the agent put it "Not at the top end of the range" it was the best we could find and is fine.

The lease was for a year; we need somewhere settled after so many bad experiences in the last years.

When the privacy/access issue came up we suggested he talk with the agent; he respects authority greatly.... it was not registered with PTRB so then he came with the form to sign and I noticed that the tenancy lease there was stated as three years. I said nothing. As we want a long lease.

There was some issue again re privacy a while ago and we pointed put to the agent that the lease had expired; he asked if we wanted alease and I said of course; that we are here long term and had even planted trees!

Heard nothing since; the LL has been here as the water pump again biroke down.

We are here some 18 months so are safe in a Part 4 etc; puzzled though re the PTRB form.. We do not want another move; illness now is much worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Once you are registered with the PRTB, I wouldn't worry too much.

You can check here: https://www.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Whether the tenancy is registered or not with the PRTB does not affect the rights of the tenant and may be to their advantage as the tenant can always make a claim with the PRTB but if unregistered, the landlord cannot make a claim against the tenant.

So if the tenant makes a claim against the landlord, what ever the reason, and the landlord has not registered the tenancy then the PRTB will hit him with penalties for non-registration.

Advertisement