Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Petty - Dublin Date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Anyone know what time he's due on stage?And support act?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Joekers

18:30 – Doors Open
    19:30 – Jonathan Wilson
    20:45 – Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Musicscene.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The boys are in town, just passed Benmont Tench outside the Merrion Hotel.

Roll on tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I would love nothing more than to be spinning some Petty and looking forward to tomorrow night, but instead: Hamlet and Poetry :/ Hope I get to see him again! If it had of been a Friday I'd be there like a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was all excited to see still tickets, was tempted but then I remember I don't have much money for rest of the month so going to have to pass. Hopefully another time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Standing is sold out but there's a few of the cheap seats left, absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow night

setting up the stage earlier
    https://twitter.com/tompetty/status/210445453844676608/photo/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Anyone going to the Cork gig? Hope the bad weather forecast doesn't affect it :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Bring your brollies folks!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

TheGimp wrote: »
    Anyone going to the Cork gig? Hope the bad weather forecast doesn't affect it :eek:

It shouldn't make any difference whatsoever. I saw Brian Wilson in the Marquee years ago when the weather was dire, and it was absolutely killer. It just means people have to huddle in the outer "lobby" area of the tent before the gig. Besides, the rain drumming on the canvas will be drowned out by the twin guitar assault of Tom and Mike, and the pounding rhythm of the mighty Mr. Ferrone.

\m/:D\m/

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheGimp

Gridlock wrote: »
    Bring your brollies folks!:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes somewhere else - its on in a tent and there is gale warnings. Figure it out.

• Advertisement

TheGimp wrote: »
    Roll your eyes somewhere else - its on in a tent and there is gale warnings. Figure it out.

I was referring to the rain in Dublin today (in June:rolleyes:) and the long walk down to the O2 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I was referring to the rain in Dublin today (in June:rolleyes:) and the long walk down to the O2 btw.

If your going get the Luas ye cheapskate. :D:D:D:D:D

Ha ha.....now there's an idea!!!:D

Ha ha.....now there's an idea!!!:D

You can bring the brolly too. Going to the grand central before heading down.

Headin' off now D.....enjoy it later man, should be a cracker!!:cool:

A truly great night.Petty brilliant, excellent support from Jonathon Wilson whom I had never heard of but I will definitely checkout. Now bed work in the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 sxq61

Fantastic gig by Petty and the band.
    Support band were very good but the sound was'nt the best for them.
    Why do people insist in going to gigs and getting p eyed or chatting throughout the show. Have we as a society got to the point that people dont give a shi** about others.
    Small rant over.
    Would definetly go see them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I agree, the sound for the support band was very loud and grating - much better for Tom Petty.

I thought the support band were good, and the heckling was awful.

I enjoyed the concert immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

Support were very good but way too loud where I was sitting.

Brilliant concert and Tom Petty is ageing so so gracefully

Outstanding gig!!!:eek: Played everything I wanted to hear...and loved the Mojo stuff aswell. Mike Campbell was excellent, a very underated guitarist..and Refugee just blew me away!!! Worth every cent....and hope they come back again soon .....Vicar St. would be ideal!;) Absolute legends!!

• Advertisement

Great to see a living legend and the flawless Heartbreakers rock out for almost 2 hours. I thought the set was well laid out, considering the man has a serious back catologue to choose from. To hear some of those songs live for the first time and the feelings they brought was well worth the money.

I wish I was up closer to the front however as I hung close to the fringes with the OH for the gig. The sound was grand* where I was, but there was a fair amount of tossers and all-too-casuals around who would have been better off in a pub. One guy beside me kept pestering any girl who was around him, pleading with them to get up on his shoulders etc until they'd just **** off somewhere else. I don't think he actually looked in the direction of the stage once the whole night! It's beyond me why people like that go to gigs, but hey they've as much right to be there as I do I guess.

Was delighted to see a fair amount of 50 yrs+ people at the gig with huge smiles on their faces the whole night; as uplifting an experience as the gig was for me there was a lot of people in the O2 tonight who've loved the man since the 70s, needless to say I'm not around quite that long.

Hopefully will get to see him again in the future, any fans going to the show in Cork are in for a special evening and won't be let down.

*The band played an acoustic chilled-out tune (not Learning to Fly) that was really low in volume, where I was I couldn't make it out. Could anyone tell me which song it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

"Something Good Coming" I think is the one.

Super night at a great venue. Exceeded all expectations. The "Ole Ole" chants were a nice bonus that Tom wasen't expecting! After that I think he said "Alright back to the show".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

stankratz wrote: »

Was delighted to see a fair amount of 50 yrs+ people at the gig with huge smiles on their faces the whole night; as uplifting an experience as the gig was for me there was a lot of people in the O2 tonight who've loved the man since the 70s, needless to say I'm not around quite that long.
    Did you see the amount of children that were there - I was amazed! One child would have been about 9. Obviously their parents have been playing music like this to them since they were born and they've grown to like it!

BTW, at the beginning he played a lesser known single from a 1979 album (the one he said he hadn't sang in 10 years!) - does anybody know the title as I'd like to download it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

What was the name of the Fleetwood Mac song they played? It was a real stonker - amazing stuff and a really enjoyable gig !

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Great gig! Here's the setlist:

Listen to Her Heart
    You Wreck Me
    I Won't Back Down
    Here Comes My Girl
    Handle with Care (Traveling Wilburys cover)
    The Best Of Everything
    You Don't Know How It Feels
    Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover)
    Something Big
    Free Fallin'
    The Damage You've Done
    It's Good To Be King
    Crawlin' Back To You
    Learning to Fly
    Yer So Bad
    I Should Have Known It
    Good Enough
    Refugee
    Runnin' Down a Dream

Mary Jane's Last Dance
    American Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

kelle wrote: »
    BTW, at the beginning he played a lesser known single from a 1979 album (the one he said he hadn't sang in 10 years!) - does anybody know the title as I'd like to download it?

That was "Here Comes My Girl" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Disappointed not to hear Into the Great Wide Open, Breakdown & Don’t Come Around here No More but otherwise a very enjoyable gig, delighted to finally see the man live, a true rock legend.
    And great to hear a Wilburys track!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

D-FENS wrote: »
    That was "Here Comes My Girl" :)

Amazing to hear that again after so long.

How many people will be digging through the attic this weekend looking for the old LPs (I assume everyone knows what an LP is;))... assuming they didn't in advance of the gig.

Love the fact that no one has even mentioned the brutal night they had to walk through to get to and from the gig - sign of a great night.

My top gig tip: find a group of short people and stand behind them - great views and makes you feel really tall! Saw just about everything from halfway back.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

christeb wrote: »
    What was the name of the Fleetwood Mac song they played? It was a real stonker - amazing stuff and a really enjoyable gig !

Great gig, enjoyed every second of it. Poignant that they played an awesome version of Oh Well on the same day Bob Welch was found dead. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Loved it, my parents have listened to Tom Petty since I was a kid and so I brought them for their anniversary/birthdays. Couldn't have asked for a better gig.

Advertisement