Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Petty - Dublin Date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

PTO wrote: »
    Great gig! Here's the setlist:

Listen to Her Heart
    You Wreck Me
    I Won't Back Down
    Here Comes My Girl
    Handle with Care (Traveling Wilburys cover)
    The Best Of Everything
    You Don't Know How It Feels
    Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover)
    Something Big
    Free Fallin'
    The Damage You've Done
    It's Good To Be King
    Crawlin' Back To You
    Learning to Fly
    Yer So Bad
    I Should Have Known It
    Good Enough
    Refugee
    Runnin' Down a Dream

Mary Jane's Last Dance
    American Girl

Er... I know this is the one posted on Setlist FM, but it's not right. Most of it is fairly accurate, but I'm pretty sure he didn't do The Best of Everything, The Damage You've Done, You Don't Know How It Feels or Crawling Back to You. Good Enough was moved from its usual place towards the end to earlier in the set, I think just prior to Free Fallin'.
    He also did Something Good Coming and King's Highway, which aren't listed here.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

christeb wrote: »
    What was the name of the Fleetwood Mac song they played? It was a real stonker - amazing stuff and a really enjoyable gig !

Oh Well is the name of the song.

You should pick up all of Fleetwood Mac when Peter Green was leading the band, great tuns...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

sxq61 wrote: »
    Have we as a society got to the point that people dont give a shi** about others.

You haven't been around other humans for a while now have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Keyzer wrote: »
    You haven't been around other humans for a while now have you?

Its sad to see that some people are still living in the "celtic tiger" days, where they can afford to go to gigs to hear maybe 3 songs they know, then spend the rest of the time talking and annoying true fans by pushing their way up and down to the bar all night...******s.....

Great gig though...although the time between each song was toooooooooo long......:)

tinyjiney wrote: »
    Great gig though...although the time between each song was toooooooooo long......:)

It takes a bit of time to take a twelve-string Rickenbacker off and put on a Gibson Firebird. You just can't rush these things. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very enjoyable gig last night. I'd go and see him again tonight he was that good. Parking at the O2 was a little frustrating. Took nearly an hour to get out.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Very enjoyable gig last night. I'd go and see him again tonight he was that good. Parking at the O2 was a little frustrating. Took nearly an hour to get out.

Yeah...but if you stuck on Nova...you could hear TP for another hour.......most excellent..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Fantastic night - You would miss Howie for the backing vocals though, although Scott did quite well ! Yea - Would have loved to hear "Dont come around here no more" / The Waiting / Even the loosers - Just not enough time !!
    Anybody get back stage to meet the guys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

There was a petrol tanker trying to get on to Sheriff Street from Castleforbes Road (turning right) and it looked like he blocked the whole road. Mate was parked in the O2 car park and he said it took ages to get out (and then the port tunnel was closed too!). I was glad I was the far side of it parked on the street!

As for the gig, I thought it was great, sound was excellent and a very good setlist, one or two quibbles but no real complaints (although €30 for a shirt is getting harder to justify to myself!). Fewer d!ckheads than other gigs I've been to recently though there were still some (really, if you want to drink yourself to oblivion why not just do it in the pub? You'd also have the guts of €80 extra to put towards it), not enough to spoil the party, though. Enjoy Cork tonight, if you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Its sad to see that some people are still living in the "celtic tiger" days, where they can afford to go to gigs to hear maybe 3 songs they know, then spend the rest of the time talking and annoying true fans by pushing their way up and down to the bar all night...******s.....

Had a prize muppet next to me, just kept talking the whole way through the gig, throwing in 'response harmonies', very annoying (I was recording the gig :p), also had some prize quotes:

Tried to get "Ol-ayyy, Ol-ayyy-Ol-ayyy-Ol-ayyyy" going after three songs. Tried it again two songs later - "I'd-a gotten one back in noineteen nointey". Then Tom mentions some Spanish people he'd met while introducing Free Fallin' and I thought yer man would take the hint - but he didn't and someone over the other end of the standing area started it! He was raging. I think the Olé Olé thing is cringey. Even Tom seemed a bit non-plussed by it and just waited for it to subside before saying "Anyway, on with the show"

Half way through the gig he concluded Mr. Petty, Rock 'n Roll Hall of Famer, "Tell ya wha', this fella's no amatuuuur, he's profissional like"

Tom: Here's song from way back in 1979
    Muppet: "Noineteen seventy-noine? Oi was conceived dah year" (that was good in fairness)

I edged away after a while, was sick of having him in my ear.

As for the gig itself, very good. Band were tight as, some amazing musicianship. Thought the set was a little on the short side, I arrived about 2 mins before it started (roughly 9.05) and it was over by 10.40. But they put on such a good show you didn't really mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re "BTW, at the beginning he played a lesser known single from a 1979 album (the one he said he hadn't sang in 10 years!) - does anybody know the title as I'd like to download it? ".

It wasn't "Here comes my girl", thats one of his classics.

It was called "Something Big" from his 1979 album Hard Promises.

I thought the gig was fantastic with "Its good to be king" being the highlight.

Also how good was Scott Thurston's vocals on "Handle with Care"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

How long did it take you to get out? Luckily himself felt it would be wise to leave at 11 ish, and we were out of Dublin within 20 minutes and home by midnight. We probably missed a couple of songs, but we absolutely enjoyed what we had already seen so it didn't matter.

kelle wrote: »
    How long did it take you to get out? Luckily himself felt it would be wise to leave at 11pm, and we were out of Dublin within 20 minutes and home by midnight. We probably missed a couple of songs, but we absolutely enjoyed what we had already seen so it didn't matter.

The gig was over at 10:55, so if you left at 11:00, you missed nothing.

The gig was over at 10:55, so if you left at 11:00, you missed nothing.
    It was before 11 then, because he hadn't finished yet. We just ran out as quick as we could!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

poundhound wrote: »
    It wasn't "Here comes my girl", thats one of his classics.

It was called "Something Big" from his 1979 album Hard Promises.

I'm pretty sure it was "Here Comes My Girl". It might be a classic now but it didn't burn up the charts when it was released. Besides, I don't think "Something Big" was even a single and Hard Promises came out in 81.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MollyZ

It was "Here Comes My Girl" and there's a very nice video of it on YouTube

I played both songs and it sounds like "Here comes my girl" - it now has pride of place on my iTunes list!

If there was one downer moment for me, it was when Tom was introducing the band, when he got to Steve Ferrone a group of (i really dont have a word for them) blokes started making a kind of monkey noise...now maybe i'm missing something, but i found it totally offensive...please tell me i'm missing an innocent joke......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

I also think that this Olé thing is cringe-inducing. Glad to see I am not alone in that.

Thought the gig was good but it never kicked into gear until he picked up his acoustic 75 minutes in. Prior to that there was little engagement, if any, from the crowd.

Tried to get "Ol-ayyy, Ol-ayyy-Ol-ayyy-Ol-ayyyy" going after three songs. Tried it again two songs later - "I'd-a gotten one back in noineteen nointey". Then Tom mentions some Spanish people he'd met while introducing Free Fallin' and I thought yer man would take the hint - but he didn't and someone over the other end of the standing area started it! He was raging. I think the Olé Olé thing is cringey. Even Tom seemed a bit non-plussed by it and just waited for it to subside before saying "Anyway, on with the show"

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Forster

The guy is really one of the rock and roll greats - and has a fabulous band to boot. Saw him and most of them twenty years ago and he looks and sounds as good now as he did then.

Hard to pick highlights in a high quality set but I would go with Freefallin Refugee and Learing to Fly.

Check out Jonathan Wilson's album Gentle Spirit - he played a lot of it last night - sounds much more laidback on the album!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

If there was one downer moment for me, it was when Tom was introducing the band, when he got to Steve Ferrone a group of (i really dont have a word for them) blokes started making a kind of monkey noise...now maybe i'm missing something, but i found it totally offensive...please tell me i'm missing an innocent joke......:o

They were shouting "Steeeeeevvvvveeeee"

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

horslips wrote: »
    Prior to that there was little engagement, if any, from the crowd.

From where I was sitting it seemed the whole place was singing along to "I Won't Back Down", "Free Fallin'" and others before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Brilliant gig, waited years to see him and didn't disappoint

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

What a great night! I've waited my whole life to see Tom live so it was a special night. I was in the middle up at the gods but the sound was mostly excellent throughout. (a couple of songs, notably Handle with Care and King for a Day, if I recall properly, toms vocals were lower than the music and/or muffled, which was frustrating. Anyway else hear this?)

I was totally blown away by Mike Campbell - what a guitarist! He was outstanding! I've been raving about him to ppl since last night!

I too found the ole ole thing really embarrassing. I really hate the whole drunken Irish image thing.
    And like most people here, I go to a gig for the music. I rarely drink at gigs because I want to hear every note. It's so irritating when u get drunken idiots wrecking your night. Stay at the bar please and let the music lovers enjoy their hard earned tickets!! *Preaching over!

Learning to Fly was a highlight for me. It was beautiful. He turned that song into a prayer to heaven. From where i was, it was like listening to angels

Another highlight was Handle with Care. Never in a million years did I ever think I would hear any Wilburys songs live

Disappointed he didn't play Don't cOme around here no more or more obscurely Square One, a personal fave.

Tom is looking great for his age. I can't believe I got to see the legend that is Tom Petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Just want to add that I thought there was a brilliant atmosphere (not so much from the fairly reserved group around me but in the venue in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I'm 18 and in the middle of my leaving cert, but went to this last night. Absolutely cracking show, Refugee blew me away!

Really enjoyed it, glad to see the legend that is Tom Petty in the flesh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

myself and a mate squeezed onto the luas at connolly and got told we were too young to like Tom Petty, good to see ageism is alive and well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I think this was the set list last night, although I stand to be corrected.

Fantastic show apart from TP saying "thankyou soooo much" after every song!!

Listen to Her Heart
    You Wreck Me
    I Won't Back Down
    Handle with Care (Traveling Wilburys cover)
    Here Comes My Girl
    Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover)
    Good Enough
    Something Big
    Kings Highway
    Free Fallin'
    It's Good To Be King
    Something Good Coming
    Learning to Fly
    Yer So Bad
    I Should Have Known It
    Refugee
    Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:
    Mary Jane's Last Dance
    American Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Here's a few photos

A4F9B7B27DFC48BD87D39F6583B909E5-0000336305-0002890197-00640L-D3032848E00841E1BA803C66D72FE83F.jpg

0E2DA3305DB24F999D488096A6326A21-0000336305-0002890196-00640L-47751F561576485F800797F5387950D5.jpg

B364C55988734CBBB9AE1691A4C1F54B-0000336305-0002890195-00640L-940445D0CD9E4C96B1D47608FC877259.jpg

26E06812550C48D0994CB2BF43D97EA9-0000336305-0002890194-00640L-C232E0E213964A8DA748CCA912023A80.jpg

D985F24782C24DFCBF64CFF67B3893DE-0000336305-0002890193-00640L-1C371FD52E544B0FBDD3FC46A8B40533.jpg

1D56E15E5DE74E868A06BDAF54E939BE-0000336305-0002890192-00640L-16A638FBE97B4A44B9C329CA034220A1.jpg

5BB92F1A01DD4706B9ECECAF4B3A185B-0000336305-0002890191-00640L-120B71313EE4445B9BD20139BFDD22C1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

Great gig. TP and the band were in top form. Very hard to pick a highlight but it would be between Learning to Fly, I Won't Back Down or Good Enough. Was right down the front in 2nd row so excellent view and sound. I'll link my review when it is published, in the meantime here is a little collage of my favourite pics I got :)

Advertisement