Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tom Petty - Dublin Date

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Fantastic Picture !!
    Many thanks for posting ..

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

musicmania wrote: »
    Great gig. TP and the band were in top form. Very hard to pick a highlight but it would be between Learning to Fly, I Won't Back Down or Good Enough. Was right down the front in 2nd row so excellent view and sound. I'll link my review when it is published, in the meantime here is a little collage of my favourite pics I got :)

Do you mind telling me what time you started queuing at? Wouldn't mind knowing what's a good time if I get a standing ticket in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭shaneob86

Nice recap of the show on the official site with a nice bit about the "Ole Ole" chants:
    Tonight's moment was just before "Free Fallin', right after Tom introduced the band. As Mike Campbell walked to centerstage with his Rickenbacker strung around his neck, ready to launch into the song's iconic riff, Tom mentioned that he'd run into some Spanish fans that day as he walked around Dublin. Suddenly, a small group of fans - presumably the Spaniards he met earlier that day - on the back of floor started the "Ole, ole, ole, ole! Ole! Ole!" chant heard at European soccer games. Instantly, the entire arena picked up the chant, and the O2 was transformed into a soccer stadium.

"It was funny," Steve Ferrone, the band's resident Englishman, said after the show. "I'm not sure Tom and Mike knew what was going on, so I leaned down over my kit and yelled, 'It's a good thing! That means they like it!"

http://www.tompetty.com/tour/date/id/123

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭musicmania

shaneob86 wrote: »
    Do you mind telling me what time you started queuing at? Wouldn't mind knowing what's a good time if I get a standing ticket in the future.

I was there about 5.50pm but that means nothing as queueing time varies from gig to gig and I'm planning to queue a lot earlier for the Bruce Springsteen concerts next month, weather permitting. Anyway back to last night here is a tip for future reference and one I wish I knew for last night. O2 customers now get into the venue before everyone else! All you need to do is show your phone with proof it is an O2 phone!! I have an O2 phone but it is used exclusively for presales for The O2 and nothing else so it was left at home. I won't make that mistake again. I was just lucky with my position last night as there was a couple of hundred people ahead of me and also was lucky that the front row were somewhat reserved and kept their hands down for the gig :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

After reading the reviews I'm even more gutted I missed this concert! I'm going to about 5 or 6 concerts in the next two months so I really couldn't afford it. I tried chancin my arm and went to the o2 after Petty and the Heartbreakers started hoping to get a cheap ticket from a desperate and drenched scalper but no luck!

One thing I couldn't understand was the amount of folks casually having a smoke outside the o2 during the concert, the smoking area was jammed! I felt like shouting GET BACK IN YOU FECKIN EEJITS!

Such a waste! I'm glad everyone had a great time and I definitely won't miss them the next time they play Ireland, let's just hope it's not another 20 years :D

• Advertisement

lc180 wrote: »

One thing I couldn't understand was the amount of folks casually having a smoke outside the o2 during the concert, the smoking area was jammed! I felt like shouting GET BACK IN YOU FECKIN EEJITS!

Why does this not surprise me. I do wonder why some people go to concerts when all they want to do is go smoking or to the bar constantly. Thankfully I wasn't affected by this at TP as I was at the front but it really gets on my nerves at fully seated concerts. You should have tried to sneak in through the smoking area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Totally raging I couldn't catch the gig :(

Is Tom having a sneaking smoke at 0:53?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAugiXeOPo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I was up the front and he certainly had a few sneaky cigarette moments.
    To be fair to him, he was trying to be as discreet about it as possible.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

From Tom Petty's official website.

http://www.tompetty.com/tour/date/id/123

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

I was at the cork gig. it was just brilliant! he got a great reception. everyone around me was cheering and singing along to most of the songs. god i hope they come back!!

Have to agree about assholes at gigs though. there was a shower near by that kept heading out for more drink and the shouting at people to "mind me pint" when others were moving to the music etc. tickets are expensive, why pay that much to get pished, half listen and talk through a gig!!! there should be an area reserved for those type of people. let the real fans enjoy the atmoshere/ music etc.

• Advertisement

there should be an area reserved for those type of people.

I agree, outside the venue. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Paddybear

The wife and I travelled over from Cheshire to see Tom at the O2. He and the band were fantastic, and was among the top 3 concerts I have ever seen (and I saw him play on is 1st venture to the UK at Aylesbury Friars club way back in the late 70's).
    However this is likely the last time I venture to any venue owned by O2 as I am appalled by their drinking policy. Many people their were more concerned at going back and forth to get beer then watch and listen to the band. Not only that but official beer sellers were moving among the crowd selling their wares and pushing people out of the way.
    My wife and I had a decent position around 20 rows back standing from the stage. However our view was obstructed constantly by phones and Cameras being raised in front of us and people barging their way through with drink (spilling everywhere). We decided to move back, and then found we were constantly interupted by the beer and fag runs and the loud chattering of people.
    With the price of tickets nowadays, would it not be wise to give the drinkers and smokers (and camera wavers) there own section so that those of us who want to see one of the greats in the music industry are left to actually enjoy the concert.
    This is not a one off as I was in Manchester to see Lynyrd Skynyrd the previous Saturday at another O2 venue and was assailed by the same kind of morons.
    I go to Manchester Academy a fair bit to watch bands and they have a no drink policy in their Concert Halls, so it can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Paddybear wrote: »
    Not only that but official beer sellers were moving among the crowd selling their wares and pushing people out of the way.

^^^^^^
    This :mad: I was ready to swing for the goon with the backpack selling bottles of Carlsp!ss (for €6.50 a pop! Jesus wept!) at one stage early in the gig....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah those dudes really wreck my head. I was up near the front and there were people drinking even there. Madness! At least when the music started, things got better.

I doubt Tom will ever be back to Europe again. I heard about an interview where he said this would be it for overseas touring. Getting too old for the hassle I suppose. Just glad I got to see them.

My heart was well and truly broken last week :)

Regarding drink, the venue policy can be overridden by the artists. When I saw Van back in February, he had a strictly drink free policy. Still a few people with cheeky pints here and there but overall it worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Advertisement