Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gritting?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there

This is a our first Winter in Fermoy and this morning had a really frightening incident with black ice making the drive from Fermoy to Mitchelstown. I did take a back street to avoid the traffic on Oliver Plunkett Street, so guess that was my mistake!

My question is - do the main routes generally get gritted through Fermoy/Mitchelstown when the snow hits? I'm a bit nervous of all these hills and the high probability of black ice!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

According to the radio on Wednesday, those roads were very bad - the main roads around the area would be gritted alright, but be very wary of backroads. That said, the main road from Mallow to Fermoy was pretty okay on Wednesday when I travelled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Humanoid76 wrote: »
    Hi there

This is a our first Winter in Fermoy and this morning had a really frightening incident with black ice making the drive from Fermoy to Mitchelstown. I did take a back street to avoid the traffic on Oliver Plunkett Street, so guess that was my mistake!

My question is - do the main routes generally get gritted through Fermoy/Mitchelstown when the snow hits? I'm a bit nervous of all these hills and the high probability of black ice!

Cheers
    Its usually ok but that road is very very dangerous. Surprisingly people usually say the road by molly barrys cross where u turn up for kilworth is the worst even though the closer to mitchlestown the higher u go. I would use the motorway if i were u .

Advertisement