Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neon Tetras - fungus

Options
  • 14-12-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

The tetras in my community tank are suffering from some sort of fungus on their mouths and / or fins for over a month now. I've tried a 5 day course of myxazin and a 10 day course of eSHa 2000 with no effect (removed all carbon from the filters during this).

Anyone have any ideas what else I could try? They're swimming and feeding normally but I'm worried about that not lasting much longer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

if its a cottony growth on their mouth, thats a bacterial infection i think; even though it looks similar to fin rot etc.

presume your water stats are ok? Would have thought the usual treatments should suffice.....are your tetras extra stressed/being nipped by other fish? Are other fish in the tank all ok? Also I think cooling the water helps....er....not sure where I know this from, but I think I remember reading this somewhere.
    Was there any sign of an improvement when you treated them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No great sign of improvement, no...

No nipping happening in the tank and they have a pretty stress free life in pretty much perfect water conditions (PH is slightly acidic but nothing out of acceptable parameters for my stock).

Actually: If cooling the water helps, the kids may have inadvertently healed the fish: the little feckers unplugged my heater and it was 3 days before I noticed (though this has happened since my last treatment so don't think this stress could have been the cause).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

well i meant more by a degree or two rather than plugging them out!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Its not "white spot" is it??

Nope, more like fungun described: a cottony growth around their mouths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I noticed the same on my 5 neon a while back. I left them in the main tank and none of the other fish seemed to catch it. Decided to try and treat them into a small tank in which I have some snails and a few plants. After 3 weeks of treatment with a solution that now cannot remember (something with no. 8), I couldn't see any improvement in their health so decided to euthanise them rather then introduce them back in the main tank.

Hopefully you'll have more luck in treating them.

PS: The treatment is Interpet no. 8 and is for treating the cotton mouth disease, but as I said, had no effect on my neons.

The heater plug being pulled has taken it's toll: 2 guppies and 2 of the tetras. Only found 1/2 of one of the guppies and have thoroughly searched the tank to no avail: the other 3 have been eaten.

Following advice I've found on other forums I've treated the tank with a low level of salt. Hopefully this'll heal them.

Advertisement