Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Contenders with the best chance at the title in the UFC?

• 14-12-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering who you think in the UFC's different divisions has the best chance of claiming the belts? It just seems like there's been a certain amount of shake up in some divisions to me. Welterweight is gonna be like a shark pit in GSP's absence. At featherweight Aldo while still incredibly skilled looks like's having problems with the weight cuts. In the lightweights Frankie Edgar is one of my favourite fighters but he's sitting on top of one of the most competitive divisions in existence.
    At middleweight we have the Chael Sonnen vs Anderson Silva debate which Im not touching with a barge pole.
    Heavyweight is normally a revolving door anyway, but now actually looks like it might have some fighters with actual cardio, which makes it so much more interesting.
    BW and LHW are really the main two divisions that seem stable, with Cruz and Jones not really showing any new threats on the radar. Of course they could always get toppled by a lucky strike.

So who do folks see claiming some belts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think Bendo will beat Edgar.

Silva, Jones, Cruz and JDS are fairly solid in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Ush1 wrote: »
    I think Bendo will beat Edgar.

Silva, Jones, Cruz and JDS are fairly solid in my opinion.

Wrestling and submissions are probably the way to go with Edgar alright, knocking him out doesn't seem to be an option. And Bendo definitely has the right tools for that. Gonna be rooting for Edgar all the way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Dan Henderson could trouble jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wrestling and submissions are probably the way to go with Edgar alright, knocking him out doesn't seem to be an option. And Bendo definitely has the right tools for that. Gonna be rooting for Edgar all the way though.

Yeah, Maynard seemed to be just stubbornly trying to knock him out although Frankie does have decent counter wrestling and movement. Problem is though that Bendo will seriously out weigh him and will just grind on him to a UD I reckon, but hey, ya never know with Edgar.

Aldo hasn't been overly convincing in his fights in the UFC. Mendes could be interesting as his wrestling style will be more difficult for Aldo. Florian kind of tried the tactic but isn't as good a wrestler as Chad.

While the WW title is open in GSPs absence, I think he would just out wrestle both Diaz and Condit if he comes back from his injury okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

With injuries etc. there's a slight chance that all the championshions at the start of 2012 will have their belts by the end. But I doubt it, personaly I think Mendes could out wrestle Aldo and win via decision. Also if I'd think Meledez could beat either Bendo or Edgar.

• Advertisement

I hope Bendo beats Edgar but you can never count him out.

Jones is undisputed for the next 5-8 months.

JDS could get taken out by anyone HW is just too unpredictable and althe next HW champ is always made out to be invincible, JDS is awesome though.

This might not be Silva's year though. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but he might get caught by Sonnen or Munoz.

Aldo was always seen as unstoppable in WEC but in the UFC he's looked beatable since the Hominick fight. Jung has looked ridiculously impressive since coming to the UFC and I think he'll get a shot near the end of the year.

Diaz-Condit for the Interim until GSP comes back and smashes one of them to get it back. Good story for the PPV and it'll add some interest but GSP beats both these guys.

Cruz is pretty dominant. He doesn't look it in the fights but I think he's figured Faber out and anyone else in the division.

I'm expecting Joseph Benavidez to win the 125 crown, I've always thought he was one of the best fighters not to win a strap and I didn't think it'd ever happen for him since losing to Cruz twice and being in a lot of his team mates division. Mighty mouse and McCall are no joke though. Don't know about Uri****aani but he must be good if he's in the running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

When the dust settles I expect the Welterweight division to have been Fitched setting up the rematch when St. Pierre is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I can see the plan being Bendo wins and Edgar moves down, then Aldo looses and he moves up to 145 and you have 2 new title fights.
    Hope the Zombie gets a shot!

l like JDS but he sounded that he really didnt want to let Cain wrestle him at all so that belt could change hands again but not if Reem gets a shot.

Silva only danger is Sonnen IMHO

Diaz should be Condit then Fitch get a shot then GSP take it back.

Jones not touchable for now, maybe Phil Davis if he can get a take down and really hurt Jones.

preddy wrote: »
    Jones not touchable for now, maybe Phil Davis if he can get a take down and really hurt Jones.

I don't think Davis can take Jones down. It's like a dolphin fighting a giant squid. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

At the moment I can't see anybody beating Cruz, Aldo, GSP, Silva, or Jones.

Edgar is by far the No.1 LW but he's the only one with so many contenders in his weigh-class. Edgar v Bendo is the best and most exciting match up I can imagine not just at LW but in the whole of MMA!

JDS hasn't shown enough for me. He's a worthy champion of course but he hasn't shown me any reason to say he can't be beaten by anyone at any time. But having said that, there isn't anyone at HW who i think stands out in that sense either. JDS could beat any one of the contenders but if, say Brock or Reem took his title, then it's the same with both those guys. Both those guys can be beaten at any time.

Again, Edgar v Bendo.......... what a fight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I am going to go against the grain and say, JDS is a champion for awhile yet, his wrestling defence is of high standard has been the reason for some of his big wins (Shane Carwin anyone?).

Anderson Silva vs Sonnen 2 to prove people wrong mainly, then move him the **** to light heavyweight for a fight with bones.

I can honestly see Diaz dethroning GSP if they ever do get around to that title fight. Otherwise Fitch is the only one that stands out.

Aldo, honestly, what a couple of years, the lad is the entire package and looks unstoppable.

Cruz, again, very dominant. Hard to know who his next contender could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I can see Bendo holding the Lightweight belt, but he won't beat Edgar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm a massive fan of Frankie Edgar and I want him to be champ for a long time, but I have to be honest....he is in one of the most stacked and talented divisions in the UFC and has his work cut out for him. If I was to pick anybody to beat him I'd say Henderson has a great chance. The improvement he's shown since he moved from WEC has been huge and it could be tough for Edgar. I still think Edgar will win but I think it'll be one of his toughest tests so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I know Cruz has been dominant but i could see Faber having a chance next time, he looked better than ever last time out against Bowles, he looked super up for it. If he can bring that intensity he would have a chance, given they went the distance lat time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I know Cruz has been dominant but i could see Faber having a chance next time, he looked better than ever last time out against Bowles, he looked super up for it. If he can bring that intensity he would have a chance, given they went the distance lat time out.

I dunno. I for one don't think the Faber v Cruz rematch last time was as close as everybody was making out. I think Cruz had him easily sussed and bossed the fight! Can't see it going any different next time.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I dunno. I for one don't think the Faber v Cruz rematch last time was as close as everybody was making out. I think Cruz had him easily sussed and bossed the fight! Can't see it going any different next time.

Yep I think it's clear Cruz has Faber's number at this point. Faber should try a drop to 125, he's very big at both 145 and 135.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dafee

When the dust settles in the Welterweight division, I expect Jake Ellenberger to be awaiting GSP's return in late 2012/early 2013.

Bendo will be champ.

I believe Mendes will outwrestle & outpoint Aldo to a decision win.

I expect Cain to be heavyweight champ again by 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i dont expect cain to be champ anytime soon, hes good, but i think hes overhyped;

From his last fights;

KO v JDS
    Brock was very good in fairness
    KO'd an over the hill nog
    Beat a poor ben rothwell
    Beat kongo, but IMO if Kongo stopped going for takedowns he could have finished him, kongo had him rocked 3 times i think.

Not a lot there for me to believe he is better than JDS and the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

pauldoo wrote: »
    i dont expect cain to be champ anytime soon, hes good, but i think hes overhyped;

:eek:

No way, Cain is one of the best technical guys in the UFC, I think he made a fatal error in his match with JDS, he'll be back with vengeance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Renan Barao looks like one to watch. His record is 27-1-1 and the loss was on his debut. Thought he looked excellent in his last two fights and I'm still not overly impressed by Dominic Cruz. I might see if I can get a bookie to take a few bob on Barao to win the belt in 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭tonymontana82

Renan Barao looks like one to watch. His record is 27-1-1 and the loss was on his debut. Thought he looked excellent in his last two fights and I'm still not overly impressed by Dominic Cruz. I might see if I can get a bookie to take a few bob on Barao to win the belt in 2012.

ya barao looks an animal, even more aggressive than aldo maybe, i reckon after tuf in brazil there will be alot more of those guys coming to the ufc. in regards to the championships? i cant see any1 coming through that can beat jones, hendo maybe with a lucky punch, the guy just has a huge size advantage. cruz should be ok, jds aswell for the next few fights. aldo badly needs to fight at a comfortable weight to suit his style. silva has to move up after his next fight cos that weightclass does not deserve his talents and his clock is ticking, plus he needs to be motivated. im a big fan of frankie but he is beatable, bendo could be a step too far for him, im lookin at bendo vs aldo next year for the 155 belt.

Advertisement