Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes for Rugby Player Physique

• 14-12-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I've been shopping a few times with my boyfriend for clothes. He is an x-rugby player, and it has been difficult finding anything reasonably trendy for his broad physique.

Can anyone recommend places in Dublin that stock larger sizes. Price is important, but needs to be balanced with quality - I just don't know where to start looking!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

By its nature, Canterbury clothing fits a broad physique. It has a Lifestyle section (which may or not be trendy according to your view) in addition to rugby and sports clothes. It is stocked in Arnotts but I don't know how extensive their selection is. You could ring them and find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

TkMaxx usually have a decent range of larger clothes. My bf has a large frame and gets nice clothes in there(xxL).

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

'rugby player' physique

that's a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Gant in dundrum maybe? They're quite good for large sizes and personally I like their clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

You can get a made-to-measure suit starting from E450-E500 from these guys (disclaimer never gone to them myself) http://www.kellymenswear.ie/

From what I've seen myself he'll never get a RTW (ready to wear) suit to fit him, as the ex-rugby, hurler etc. physique is so different to standard RTW blocks. e.g. huge chest, narrow waist, very thick arms. The allowances are never there in the seams to allow alterations either.

If you do get a suit made, get an extra pair of trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

After spending all yesterday afternoon trawling through shops looking for trousers for my OH, I feel your pain OP. He's 6'3 and an XL or a 36/36 leg and there's little or nothing to fit his legs! He's not fat, he's just muscular - We found jeans to fit, but nowhere could we find trousers that were wide enough for his thighs without being massive on the waist. Even going up to a 38 waist in some shops they were still too tight on the thighs.

Anywhere know where we could get trousers/cords/chinos that aren't slim/straight/narrow fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pychofairy

Same problem. I have a 34/35 waist but need to sometimes get 38 waist jeans just to go over my thighs.
    Shirts are a disaster. Sleeves are never long enough for my arms without getting an oversized shirt. I can forget about getting double cuff sleeves that protrude a half inch from the jacket sleeves without getting them altered. Hugo Boss are the best fitting (closest) shirts for me.
    Properly fitted clothes are hard to find. When I do find a particular jean that fits I buy around three pairs of them at a time.
    Best fitting suits for Rugby players are Paul Smith and Hugo Boss (advice I got from a tailor) but expensive obviously. Pink do a good range too as they sponsor a lot of rugby teams.
    Diesel "Zathan" jeans are good for these body types as are Gas and Hugo Boss (prob because aimed at an older man).
    I just concentrate on buying a few but good quality staple items when I find them rather than plenty of ill fitting normal clothes.
    Because of the hardship of trying to find clothes that fit, I only every go shopping once or twice a year. I know you said price was a factor, but I get most of my stuff in the sales.
    The other option for jeans is getting baggy jeans such as Jack n Jones which are good quality/fair price.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

Being an ex rugby player myself (nothing serious) I have found baumler suits to be the best cut for me and D4 Dockers comfort fit leg for my thighs. Shirts seems to come and go but I generally find gant stuff fits best.

Advertisement