Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lotus - Maynooth

Options
  • 14-12-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

We've tried to order from Lotus Maynooth the last couple of weekends but can't get through - can't find anything online - anyone know what's going on?

They're the best Chinese take away in Maynoth imo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Closed about a month or more now. There's a To Let sign up outside. Couldn't compete with the rest of Food Street by the look of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Chinese take aways usually do well and not too many closing down. There are 5 in Celbridge and seem to be going ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joe Public wrote: »
    Chinese take aways usually do well and not too many closing down. There are 5 in Celbridge and seem to be going ok.

Celbridge is quite a lot bigger in terms of population though - Maynooth has a lot of shops but not as many full time residents

I would imagine the new Chinese in what used to be the snooker hall was one too many. There was even an application to convert the unit that used to be a butchers many years ago and I think was most recently a solarium on the other side of the street in to ANOTHER Chinese but it was refused. Bearing in mind that there's also the Royal City and the Newtown Inn...

Food St. is a fairly accurate description of what way the main street is going...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I have to say I'm not surprised - I've never seen more than 2 tables with people at them in Lotus. That unit has been a Chinese for years in different incarnations but they never seem to do well!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was also a generic Irish chips-with-everything 'restaurant' more suited to a poorly visited tourist location when it first opened, Mona Lisa I think it was called.

I've lived here far too long :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭POKERKING

They should move to clane only one chinese there and its always packed!!!

Edit:just realised theres a new one open but it doesnt look the best looks like a chipper(its where the chipper used to be!)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

What's the chinese in the Newtown inn like?

I've tried Royal city & the big one on the main street & wasn't impreseed with the take out from either ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Finelli wrote: »

I've tried Royal city & the big one on the main street & wasn't impreseed with the take out from either ..

It's nice, I'm not massively in to Chinese food but we've had it a few times now since we moved here and it's been pretty good.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

POKERKING wrote: »
    They should move to clane only one chinese there and its always packed!!!

Edit:just realised theres a new one open but it doesnt look the best looks like a chipper(its where the chipper used to be!)
    Have you had anything from the new one yet? I'm sick of the flaming wok and their tiny portions!!lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Royal city is as good maybe even better:)
    walking past I saw the to let sign and the post in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've tried Royal city & the big one on the main street

Same family by the way. Royal City used to be great but last couple of takeaways have been very poor. Eating in there is nice though.

Food street is right - it's the O'Connell Street of Maynooth. And tbh on the Main Street Maximus is probably the best grub.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is very mixed so overall I would not order from there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Tango One

None of the Chinese would blow you away in Maynooth all very average. Although Lotus was the one I probablywould have used the most. I get the feeling Royal city isn't the cleanest but the food was alright. Dragon boat in Kilcock is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

You'd have to think that a "Taste Of Maynooth" festival would do well on food street, maybe at the Summer Festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭POKERKING

ChewChew wrote: »
    Have you had anything from the new one yet? I'm sick of the flaming wok and their tiny portions!!lol

Only curry chips, 3/10, i know its only curry chips but if you cant get basics right, you could struggle but i will give it another go!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Finelli

Had food from the chinese in the Newtown Inn at the weekend.

It was very good, as good if not better than Lotus used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Am only seeing this now, gutted!

We used to drive over from Celbridge as all the Chineses there are rotten.

Must try the Newtown Inn.

Advertisement