Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good SQL book/tutorial

Options
  • 14-12-2011 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a good SQL book/tutorial, something similar to the Rob Miles C# Yellow book would be good if possible. Preferably something online would be best.

I'd want something that will cover SQL as a language as such and SQL Server also.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

There's a few ways to work on a database, and essentially at the highest level, you're a DBA or a Developer. Do you know which area you'll move towards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have a job interview coming up and I know they use SQL for some of the work they do and they're keen to get someone with that knowledge. I realise I probably won't be able to learn SQL inside out between now and whenever the interview is, but it would be good to show I'd gone out of my way to learn about so I want to try and get a grounding on it.

The role is not a DBA role, but some of the tasks they do involve SQL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Yeah, it might help you a little if you study up on it. At that level, the one they often ask is GROUP BY. So at least learn the following and how they fit together
    • SELECT
    • FROM
    • WHERE
    • INNER JOIN / LEFT OUTER JOIN / RIGHT OUTER JOIN
    • GROUP BY & HAVING
    Just get those done, and it will give you a head start over someone else with the same skills, but can't talk the talk.

Just be honest though: say you have no industry experience, but you've looked at it in your own time, as its something you've wanted to learn.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good SQL book/tutorial, something similar to the Rob Miles C# Yellow book would be good if possible. Preferably something online would be best.

I'd want something that will cover SQL as a language as such and SQL Server also.

Cheers!

If it's any help, my local library had an SQL 2008 (MS) for Dummies (great books) as an eBook on their 'digital library'. It might be worth your while rather than shelling out ~35€ on Amazon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IMO a lot of the good books also focus on DBA stuff which make the book look more daunting for the newbie

I would start off online using some of the following for example and take it from there...
    http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_intro.asp
    http://www.techonthenet.com/sql/index.php
    http://www.techonthenet.com/oracle/
    http://download.oracle.com/otn_hosted_doc/rdb/pdf/sql_ref_v7143_part1.pdf

You can also get free software from Oracle & Microsoft along with various other resources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've never read the Rob Miles C# Yellow book but one of the few books on SQL that I have read that I liked is the Programmers Guide to SQL. It's probably quite dated now and it doesn't deal with SQL Server exclusively but it might be worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Thanks for the replies.

I found the SQL Server 2008 for Dummies book to be quite useful and easy to understand, much moreso than the SQL for Dummies book where the author seemed to be giving himself a hard-on by explaining jargon with more jargon.

Anyway, the interview was yesterday and went ok I thought but it's very hard to know. However the 3-4 hours I spent going over SQL on Sunday were sort of wasted as I got asked nothing about it at all. But not totally wasted as I now understand more of what inner and outer joins are.

Let's see what happens anyway.

Advertisement