Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italians in Ireland today?

• 14-12-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am just curious as to if there are many Italians working in Ireland, especially outside of Dublin. I am in Limerick, and I never meet any Italians. I haven't met any for years, at least 7 or 8 years since I met an Italian working around Limerick.
    Everytime I go to Dublin, I always hear Italian spoken pretty much everywhere I go! I am assuming that most are tourists, but I would imagine there are quite a few working in Dublin too...
    I would also hear Italian in Galway, but not as much, and again, I would assume they are mainly tourists.
    Cork is another place I would hear Italian spoken on the street and in business places.
    I reckon I will eventually have to move to one of these places, (outside of Italy!) if I want to keep my conversational classes going!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Up until the mid-nineties the demographic composition of Italians in Ireland was quite stable; about 80% were in the restaurant business (of which 80% came from Frosinone) and the remaining 20% were a mixture of academics, Italian state employees (diplomats or attached to the various tourism, enterprise and culture offices) and executives for companies like Generali and Fiat. Very few of that 20% ever stayed in Ireland longer than a few years.

The Celtic Tiger saw an influx of predominantly young Italians in Ireland, who came over partially for the English language, but also because it is so difficult for young people to get their first job in Italy. Naturally, as the Celtic Tiger came to an end, many of these returned to Italy and were not replaced by a new influx.

So, you're probably going to see resident Italians in places where there are jobs, in particular multi-nationals. If the presence of such firms in Limerick is limited, so will the presence of foreign nationals, including Italians. Those in the restaurant business who have been in Ireland at this stage for a few generations have essentially integrated to the point that a bizarre hiberno-Italian dialect has formed with those who even can speak Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭badgerbaiter

I live in cork city and there are lots of italians here. Mostly within the age of 24-32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭thebourke

i live with an italian....in dublin...she is my girlfriend...she likes espresso ni the morning with biscuits...very different to an irish girlfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭badgerbaiter

I noticed that about an italian i was with haha
    instant coffee was a sin to her.. Italian girls are more mature than irish girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fragolina88

I have to say wow! you definitely see a lot more Italians than I do!

Definitely Dublin is the primary choice for Italians except for me. Corinthian explained it at best. Italians choose larger city with more international companies. The ones in smaller cities are younger (between 16-24) and they are there really to learn English. I had friends that studied English in Dublin. Some worked for one year. They all moved back.

I live in the north and I think I am the only one here. I am sure there is one somewhere walking about but I heard Italian spoken 3 or 4 times in three years. And they were definitely tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Zero in Limerick, nothing, nobody. I guess I should move to Dublin or Cork then. Ah, I miss being able to shoot the breeze with Italians out and about. I´m mid 30s now, so I guess that age group will be fewer and fewer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Seachto7 a chara - have you seen what The Corinthian has just posted? - the Irlandiani - Italians in Ireland website

Advertisement