Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Park - Door Damaged

• 14-12-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭

Another one of these questions

Was in car park today, in my car when car beside me opens door into my door, closes it and then opens it again into my door. I got out and there is damage to my door.

Other driver denieD responsibility!

I took photos and registration details and copied their insurance details but short of getting into a scrap there was no convincing them to take responsibility.

Should I inform my own insurance company and can they get in touch with other driver insurance company?

Should I go to Gardai to report it?

Any other avenue to recover price of repairs

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Report it immediately, both to the Gardaí and to your own insurance company. Your own ins co should be able to reclaim the money from the other drivers ins co for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Report it to the Gardai, and report it to your insurance company with all the details you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

How badly damaged, is it cosmetic or structural?
    Does it NEED repairing? Will repairing it cost more than losing your no claims bonus?

The Gardai won't be interested unless someone is injured or it was malicious
    The carpark operators/owners might be interested but only to protect themselves against repeat or pattern offenders.

I'm not being smart, I understand that you are upset, but get it in perspective. My windscreen was hit by a sliothar coming over a wall last year and it was a miracle that I didn't get arrested or assaulted in the following hour, I was in such a foul mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

I witnessed a lady once open her door into a giant pot plant (which was not going anywhere), rather than give up she then repeatedly started battering the pot with her door in the hope it would budge. It didn't. Some crazy people out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Cedrus wrote: »
    Does it NEED repairing?

Does it matter?

If it's possible to make a claim against their insurance then I'd do it, if for no other reason than to teach assholes like this a lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

Does it NEED repairing? Will repairing it cost more than losing your no claims bonus?

The carpark operators/owners might be interested but only to protect themselves against repeat or pattern offenders.

I'm not being smart, I understand that you are upset, but get it in perspective. My windscreen was hit by a sliothar coming over a wall last year and it was a miracle that I didn't get arrested or assaulted in the following hour, I was in such a foul mood.

I'll have to pay from my own pocket unless other driver or their insurance company pays - won't claim under my insurance so won't lose no claims discount

Does it have to be repaired - no - car will still drive without it being repaired but I am entitled to be put back in position i was in in the sense that the car was not dented before the other person banged their door twice into it and now it is dented - I would prefer no dent

Funny though - if you are ever in an incident and deny, deny, deny, it does make it tricky for other person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

TheZ wrote: »
    Funny though - if you are ever in an incident and deny, deny, deny, it does make it tricky for other person

You'll find that line in the back of every insurance policy document;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Really, just not bother? There's always the value of the chaps car to think of. In this market, dealers and private buyers will hammer try you for this sort of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

TheZ wrote: »
    I'll have to pay from my own pocket unless other driver or their insurance company pays - won't claim under my insurance so won't lose no claims discount

Does it have to be repaired - no - car will still drive without it being repaired but I am entitled to be put back in position i was in in the sense that the car was not dented before the other person banged their door twice into it and now it is dented - I would prefer no dent

When I asked does it need to be repaired, I did not question your desire for justice and a shiny car but I asked you to question the level of damage against the level of hassle/cost. You didn't mention a dent in your first post and it was unclear whether it was it was a minor scratch on a geriatric car or a major wallop on a brand new showroom car.

You're very trusting of your insurance company, there is a possibility that they will split responsibility ("you had the audacity to park in a public place, the cheek of you, did you draw it on yourself by parking in the path of someone's door?") then deduct the 'excess' and then cut the no claims. A friend of mine lost his no claims when he reported his car stolen, he recovered it undamaged 12 hours later and had no need for any payout but as a 22 year old paying through the nose, the no claims discount was nearly more valuable than the car. A dent might be pulled out quickly by a garage for far less than your excess but a paint job (full if your car is an unusual colour) could be well worth pursuing.
    You are right about 'deny, deny, deny' some insurance co's consider it a breach of contract if you admit any responsibility even if your vehicle is wedged into someone's side door and you had to drive through a garden wall to get there.

When I asked does it need to be repaired, I did not question your desire for justice and a shiny car but I asked you to question the level of damage against the level of hassle/cost. You didn't mention a dent in your first post and it was unclear whether it was it was a minor scratch on a geriatric car or a major wallop on a brand new showroom car.

You're very trusting of your insurance company, there is a possibility that they will split responsibility ("you had the audacity to park in a public place, the cheek of you, did you draw it on yourself by parking in the path of someone's door?") then deduct the 'excess' and then cut the no claims. A friend of mine lost his no claims when he reported his car stolen, he recovered it undamaged 12 hours later and had no need for any payout but as a 22 year old paying through the nose, the no claims discount was nearly more valuable than the car. A dent might be pulled out quickly by a garage for far less than your excess but a paint job (full if your car is an unusual colour) could be well worth pursuing.
    You are right about 'deny, deny, deny' some insurance co's consider it a breach of contract if you admit any responsibility even if your vehicle is wedged into someone's side door and you had to drive through a garden wall to get there.

Spoke to insurance company.
    They said I can do two things
    1. claim through my insurance and they reclaim from other insurance company but if do that then my no claims is on hold until other company pays up so I won't do that
    2. go direct to other driver insurance company and claim that way which won't affect no claims

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Any CCTV in the car park?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Any CCTV in the car park?
    Yeah - happened under a camera so have requested that.

the thing is I wouldn't have done anything if they had hit me once as that can happen but doing it twice in a row was taking the mick and then denying it just made me determined to follow it up

have reported it to their insurance company so we'll see how it goes

Advertisement