Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does 3G capability in a tablet matter to you?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I read this article with some interest, most particularly these paragraphs:
    What will be interesting to see of course is just how successful the 3G model really is, studies have suggested that when purchasing a tablet, portable internet connectively is not as high on the consumer wish list as one would expect.

The NPD Vice President of Connected Intelligence has recently suggested that not only is there a ‘Concern over the high cost of cellular data plans but that more consumers are finding that Wi-Fi is available in the majority of locations where they use their tablets'.

I was surprised to read that T3.com thought that 3G would be high on anyone's agenda. 3G is of no interest to me primarily because of the extortionate data plans but secondly because I can usually find a wireless point if I really need one.

So would you/did you stump up an extra £100 or so just to get 3G? Do you think 3G is important for a tablet?

I've used my iPad all over Europe and have never once felt that I needed 3G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

The lack of 3G wouldn't be a big deal for me either, but thats mainly because I can tether my mobile to it if i really need wireless connectivity and there's no Wifi around.

If i wasn't able to tether, i'd definitely see it as a plus if i had 3G on a tablet (Not sure if i'd pay an extra €100+ though).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

It wouldn't be a problem for me either. Wifi is available in alot of places and if it isn't I can always turn my phone into a Wifi hotspot and use it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The lack of 3G wouldn't be a big deal for me either, but thats mainly because I can tether my mobile to it if i really need wireless connectivity and there's no Wifi around.

Me too, plus my phone can act as a hotspot (not tried it yet though).
    If i wasn't able to tether, i'd definitely see it as a plus if i had 3G on a tablet (Not sure if i'd pay an extra €100+ though).

I probably wouldn't pay €100 for the feature, but I'd be even less likely to fork out for the SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Eoin wrote: »
    I'd be even less likely to fork out for the SIM.

This is what it is all about at the end of the day! Very few people are going to fork out €20 a month for a sim just to use in a tablet, especially so when there are so many alternatives available.

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement