Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a decent wok

Options
  • 14-12-2011 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

My wok is well past it's best and I'd like to buy a new one. I was thinking of getting a Ken Hom non-stick carbon steel one, but I could possibly be persuaded to buy a normal carbon steel one. From what I've read, they tend to be ones that are recommended the most.

I had a look at Argos but they don't seem to have any non-stick carbon steel ones.

Any suggestions as to where I could buy one, online also an option for purchasing.

Also, what is the best cooking oil to use when stir-frying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The Asia Supermarket on Drury Street in Dublin sells good steel woks. Nothing fancy, but as long as you 'season' it & clean it correctly it should last you a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I also prefer plain steel woks over any non-stick coating.

Get a big enough one, they are great for steamng in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

The Asia Supermarket on Drury Street in Dublin sells good steel woks. Nothing fancy, but as long as you 'season' it & clean it correctly it should last you a lifetime.

these woks are great. i wouldnt bother with anything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

My flatmate has one from the Asian market and it's deadly. He spend ages seasoning it, painstakingly and now it's perfect.

Makes my Free-with-Uncle-Bens wok look like crap! (saying that, the free wok does the job)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

what Kind of Cooker do you have a Gas, ceramic hob, hotplate ?

If you are cooking with a electric hob your best option is to use a flat bottom wok. Round bottom woks can reflect heat back on the element, damaging it. A flat bottomed wok can also be used on gas stoves.

http://chinesefood.about.com/cs/cookingbasics/bb/buywok.htm

I have a Ken Hom non-stick carbon steel one to use on an electric hob. When I am cooking meat in it the temperature drops and the meat or chicken tends to stew instead of frying

• Advertisement
Advertisement