Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freshest milk in the country??

Options
  • 14-12-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi

Just need to gauge a reaction for an idea i've had recently, not exactly reinventing the wheel!

I live on a dairy farm and am currently thinking of processing the milk on farm instead of sending to the creamery, and bottling in the old style glass bottles, which i feel people would love to use again.

Milk you buy in the supermarket can spend 3 days in a tank on the farm, a similar amount of time lying in the creamery and then transported to supermarkets where it could be lying on a shelf for days. realsitically speaking the milk you get from the supermarket could be 10 days old by the time you use it.

My thinking is that having my own processing plant, i could have the product processed on farm and delivered to the customers door within 12-24 hours of milking from the cow guaranteeing the freshest milk in the country.

the milk will be pasteurised (killing the bacteria) but not homogenised(breaking down the cream content).

The plan is to create a delivery run around my loacality to distribute it.

Any feedback on what you think of this food product would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Hi

Milk you buy in the supermarket can spend 3 days in a tank on the farm, a similar amount of time lying in the creamery and then transported to supermarkets where it could be lying on a shelf for days. realsitically speaking the milk you get from the supermarket could be 10 days old by the time you use it.

Yeah, and then they put 10 or 14 days on the best before date!:eek: I would love to able to get locally produced milk - from one farm or maybe a local producers group.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

I love this idea and would definitely prefer this to the supermarket option.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭JohnSmith17

I would love milk from a bottle !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Saying where your based might be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sorry folks - this forum is not to be used for Market Research purposes. If that were allowed we would be overrun by every Tom, Dick & Harry with an 'interesting' business plan. That would detract from the true nature of the forum - discussing Food & Drink.

Closed.

tHB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement