Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Cycle Network Plan

• 14-12-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Bray Town Council are reviewing the existing Cycle Network in Bray town and its Environs. The aim of the project is to develop a high quality cycle network in the town which connects residential areas to schools, work places, shopping and recreational areas.

In terms of existing infrastructure, cycle lanes are provided on a number of key routes in the area. Many of the existing facilities were constructed over 10 years ago with some further upgrade in recent years. Facilities for cyclists are currently concentrated on the approach roads to the town, including Killarney Road, Vevay Road and Castle Street.

The cycle network plan will establish a vision for future development of the cycle network in Bray and its environs. It will provide a blueprint for future investment in cycling infrastructure and will prioritise where investment is required in the coming years. The Plan will include a range of measures including;
    • Proposals for new cycletracks, lanes and greenways,
    • Proposals for junction improvements,
    • Traffic management measures,
    • Supporting infrastructure such as cycyle parking
    • Measures to support integration of cycle network with Public Transport
    Members of the public are invited to submit their views on cycling in Bray and how the facilities for cyclists should be developed in future years.
    An open day will be held at Bray Town Council offices (foyer) on Thursday 15th December 2011 from 11a.m. to 3p.m.
    Alternatively, if you are unable to attend and wish to submit your views please follow the following link to submit a short survey.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BrayCycleNetwork

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

As a cyclist I don't think that Bray needs to waste any money on bike lanes - just improve the roads.

If double yellow lines were down instead of bike lanes, cars wouldn't park there. As it is, there is little respect for bike lanes by motorists ( I drive aswell).

The ridiculous bike traffic system up at the crossroads at St Fergal's Church / Killarney Road was a waste of money.

The roads are wide enough for cyclists to use (once cyclists ride single file as they do in towns) and cars keep at a distance when there is no lane. If there is a lane, drivers just expect you to cycle in it, even if the terrain is terrible and gritty as it is around Bray).

I refuse to use the bike lanes on the Boghall as they are too bumpy and dangerous.

I've only ever seen one councillor on a bike.

So to sort the problem, just put double yellows down on narrow roads where you think a bike lane is needed (the vevay is a good place to start) or work in tandem with the Gardai to ask them to ticket cars parked in bike lanes.

I'll pop this up on the survey too.

While you're on here Ronan, any chance you could get the beach cleaners to paint over the graffiti on the kiosks which has been there for 2 months now. Two months !! The town's greatest asset and it is left graffitied due to laziness / job demarcation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

Thanks for the input Zoobizoo, I will make sure it gets it to the necessary people. If you could complete the survey as well, that would be great!

Grafitti is a bit of a bugbear for me too. We are working on a way of getting it painted over in a more prompt manner.

However, there are staffing issues on the seafront and to say that it is down to laziness is very unfair on the guys who keep the place looking good in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I have filled that in.

What exactly are the staffing issues?

How hard is it for them to pull out a can of paint and a brush from their cart and paint over the graffiti?

Here's a way of getting it painted in a more prompt manner - tell the guys that painting over graffiti is part of their job. It is part of keeping the seafront clean.

Are they refusing to do it? I know that demarcation is an issue with public workers.... painting is probably a "craftsman" position or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

On topic...I have filled the survey but I would agree that there is no point in wasting time and money on bike lanes without first improving the roads...they are still in shocking state and in some places cause cars to swerve to avoid potholes and so imo endangering cyclists.

I like the idea of boghall/killarney road lanes but in places they are not in great conditon.

Off topic...I really don;t think it's fair to infer that the people who work on the seafront are lazy for not cleaning graffiti as from what I see otherwise they do a great job keeping it clean.

From my limited knowledge of council workings, it is not the grounds peoples fault for the work not being done but more the lack of orgainising from above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I love cycling in and around Bray but I don't use the bike lanes, my main routes are along the Boghall Road and down the Vevay to Main Street and I can go twice as fast more safely on the road, the cars parked on the bike lanes are ridiculous but even without these the lanes are unusable. The ones on the Boghall run into kerbs at random points as well as being full of glass, the ones on the Vevay are full of huge holes. There is a massive cracks/pothole mess at the bottom of the big hill on the Vevay before McDonalds that is actually going to kill a cyclist sometime and its been there for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 cllrmcmanus

Thanks for the input everyone!

These are exactly the sorts of issues we wanted to identify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

It is extremely dangerous to use bikelanes in Bray....they start and end at inappropriate spots where u end up merging with bewildered traffic or crashing into cars stopped at adjoining roads. Fulll of glass too.

Nearly every single day I am hit by a car or nearly hit. Never, thankfully, knocked off....but not many car drivers look left when they move their car left. On one day 2 weeks ago, the same car nearly creamed me 3 times in the space of less than 2 minutes on main st - castle st.

As a result of drivers, I now no longer wait at red lights etc. I make my own judgements what is best for my safety while trying to stick as closely as I can to the rules of the road.Im a sick to death of coming into physical contact with moving vehicles in this town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thread bump, thanks to Cllrmcmanus for the new bike paths on the Boghall road, I assume it was to do with this thread, I have to cycle the lenght of it twice a day and its not finished yet but already a major improvement and its going to be a good cycle path once finished.

Of course still plenty of morons thinking its a new carpark for them to park lenght-wise across but at least its wide enough to go around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Thargor wrote: »
    Of course still plenty of morons thinking its a new carpark for them to park lenght-wise across but at least its wide enough to go around now.

Of course still plenty of morons thinking that using a cycle lane where provided is optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

You may wish to check what an actual cycle lane is compared to what you probably think it is.

A bit of red tarmac and a white line does not mean that you have a mandatory cycle lane under the law, which is due to be revoked any year now.

You will find that proper cycle lanes are used, but when you have half arsed yolks like on the Boghall road people will use the road because it is safer, faster and you don't lose right of way at every junction.

If you look at Killarney road you can see where the cycle lane stops between Killarney Lane and the top of Fairyhill for no reason, if you have people in a cycle lane then push them back out on the road then they are much less likely to go back in again.

There is space for a cycle lane but than option will also be gone soon, as someone opposite the entrance to Fairyhill is obviously trying to claim the grass area by planting a hedge, I reckon his ten years will be up in the next year or thereabouts, then the possibility of a cycle lane will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course still plenty of morons thinking that using a cycle lane where provided is optional.

Some interesting responses about why people don't use cycle lanes on safety grounds here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056715682

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Some interesting responses about why people don't use cycle lanes on safety grounds here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056715682

Makes no difference I'm afraid,
    If a cycle lane is provided, you must, by law, use it.
    It is not a choice.
    If there are potholes on my side of the road, but none on the oncoming lane, I cannot make the decision to drive on the wrong side of the road "Because it is more comfortable"

No discussion on this. The law is very clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No discussion on this. The law is very clear.

indeed it is and very few of the supposed cycle lanes are in fact legal.
    Anyway there is quite a strong lobby at the transport minister to revoke this law, hopefully it will be revoked soon enough.

indeed it is and very few of the supposed cycle lanes are in fact legal.
    Anyway there is quite a strong lobby at the transport minister to revoke this law, hopefully it will be revoked soon enough.

Again, unfortunatly, there is no definition of a legal/non legal cycle path (Apart from they must display the correct bicycle logo, but it does not define frequency of display, so presumably if you were to examine this, if the bicycle logo appears anywhere on the cycle lane, it then falls within the "Mandatory use" rule), so I'm afraid that point does not stand.

Regardless of any lobby, until the statute is changed/removed, the law stands.

It is not a choice.
    If there are potholes on my side of the road, but none on the oncoming lane, I cannot make the decision to drive on the wrong side of the road "Because it is more comfortable"

I take it that if you are not just trolling you are a non-driver.

There is a well known perfectly legal maneuver that allows you to, wait for it, cross onto the other side of the road if there is an obstruction on your side.

That obstruction could be for example a poor road surface, a slow moving vehicle or debris.

When you are passing a slower vehicle they call it overtaking, I believe that the procedure is covered in the theory test.

Again, unfortunatly, there is no definition of a legal/non legal cycle path

Actually the SI below has quite a bit to say about cycle lanes beyond signage, which like it or not is part of the legal definition of a cycle lane. So wrong signage or lane marking means that for the purpose of the law it is not a cycle lane and therefore not mandatory.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0274.html
    [CENTER]S.I. No. 274/1998:[/CENTER]
     [CENTER]ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1998[/CENTER]

ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS, 1998

In exercise of the powers conferred on the Minister for the Environment and Local Government by [URL="http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0007/sec0003.html#zza7y1994s3"]sections 3[/URL] and [URL="http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0007/sec0035.html#zza7y1994s35"]35[/URL] of the [URL="http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0007/index.html#zza7y1994"]Road Traffic Act, 1994[/URL]  (No. 7 of 1994), which powers were delegated to me by the Environment  and Local Government (Delegation of Ministerial Functions) Order 1997 ( [URL="http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0427.html#zzsi427y1997"]S.I. No. 427 of 1997[/URL]  ), I, Robert Molloy, Minister of State at the Department of the  Environment and Local Government, hereby make the following  Regulations:—

1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations, 1998.

(2) These Regulations and the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking)  Regulations, 1997 may be construed as one and cited together as the Road  Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997 and 1998.

2. These Regulations shall come into operation on the 1st day of  September, 1998, save for articles 6, 7, 8 and 9 which shall come into  operation on the 1st day of November, 1998.

3. In these Regulations:—

"the Principal Regulations" means the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997 ( [URL="http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997"]S.I. No. 182 of 1997[/URL] ).

4. Sub-article (1) of article 4 of the Principal Regulations is hereby amended—

(a) by the substitution of the following for the definition of "cycle track":—

" 'cycle track' means part of a road,  including part of a footway or part of a roadway, which is provided  primarily for the use of pedal cycles ;", and

(b) by the substitution of the following for the definition of "parking bay":—

" 'parking bay' means the area contained between lines of the type referred to in article 18 of the Regulations of 1997;".

5. The following shall be substituted for article 5 of the Principal Regulations:—

"5. (1) These Regulations shall apply save  where compliance is not possible as a result of an obstruction to  traffic or pedestrians or because of an emergency situation confronting a  road user which could not reasonably have been expected or anticipated.

(2) A prohibition or restriction imposed by  these Regulations shall not apply to the driver of a fire brigade  vehicle or an ambulance or to the use by a member of the Garda Siochana  of a vehicle in the performance of the duties of that member, where such  use does not thereby endanger the safety of road users.

(3) Save where otherwise expressly provided in  these Regulations, a prohibition on the entry of a vehicle to a road or  main area or the prohibition on the stopping or parking of a vehicle  imposed by these Regulations shall not apply to -

(a) a vehicle being used in connection with the removal of an obstruction to traffic;

(b) a vehicle being used in connection with the carrying out of roadworks;

(c) a vehicle being used by a local authority or its agents in connection with the provision of a traffic sign;

(d) a vehicle being used in connection with  the removal of a vehicle pursuant to the provisions of regulations made  under section 97 of the Principal Act, as amended by section 3 of the  Act of 1968, or regulations made under section 41 of the Act of 1994;

(e) a vehicle being used for the purpose of  facilitating the immobilisation of a vehicle or the removal of an  immobilisation device from a vehicle pursuant to section 101B of the  Principal Act, as inserted by section 9 of the Dublin Transport.  Authority (Dissolution) Act, 1987 (No. 34 of 1987);

(f) a vehicle being used by a traffic warden in the performance of the duties of that warden;

(g) a vehicle which has been damaged or has  broken down, during the period necessary to effect repairs to the  vehicle or remove it from the location.

(4) A prohibition on the parking of a vehicle  imposed by article 36(2) (a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while  goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it,for a period  not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

(5) A prohibition on the parking of a vehicle  imposed by article 36 (2) (m) shall not apply to a vehicle parked in a  cycle track, on the right hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 023  has been provided, while goods are being loaded in or on to it or  unloaded from it for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the  commencement of such parking.

(6) A restriction on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 37 shall not apply to -

(a) a vehicle to which sub-article (3) applies;

(b) a vehicle parked at the edge of a roadway while a passenger is entering or leaving it; or

(c) a vehicle parked while goods are being  loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding  thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.".

6. The following shall be substituted for article 14 of the Principal Regulations:—

"14. (1) A cycle track shall be indicated by  traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A provided in association with  traffic sign number RRM 022 (continuous white line) or RRM023 (broken  white line) which latter signs may be marked on the right-hand edge of  the cycle track or on the right-hand and left-hand edges of the cycle  track.

(2) The periods of operation of a cycle track  may be indicated on an information plate which may be provided in  association with traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A.

(3) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), a pedal cycle must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.

(b) Paragraph (a) shall not apply in the case  of a cycle track on the right-hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM  023 has been provided,

(i) where a person driving a pedal cycle intends to change direction and has indicated that intention, or

(ii) where a bus is stopped in the cycle track at a point where traffic sign RUS 031 (bus stop) is provided, or

(iii) where a vehicle is parked in the cycle track for the purpose of loading or unloading.

(4) Where a cycle track is two-way, pedal cycles shall be driven as near as possible to the left-hand side of each lane.

(5) (a) A mechanically propelled vehicle,  other than a mechanically propelled wheelchair, shall not be driven  along or across a cycle track on the right hand edge of which traffic  sign number RRM 022 has been provided, save for the purpose of access to  or egress from a place adjacent to the cycle track or from a roadway to  such a place.

(b) A reference in paragraph (a) to driving  along or across a cycle track shall include a reference to driving  wholly or partly along or across a cycle track.

(6) Where a vehicle is parked on that part of a  road in relation to which traffic sign number RUS 009 or RUS 009A is  provided in association with traffic sign number RRM 022 or RRM 023  (cycle track), in advance of the commencement of the period indicated on  an information plate which may accompany traffic sign number RUS 009 or  RUS 009A, the parking of the said vehicle must cease and the vehicle  must be removed from that part of the road prior to the commencement of  that period save where article 5 (5) applies.".

7. Sub-article (2) of article 36 of the Principal Regulations is  hereby amended by the addition of the following paragraph after  paragraph (I):-

"(m) in a cycle track.".

8. The following shall be substituted for sub-article (1) of article 45 of the Principal Regulations:—

"(1) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), a person  shall not drive a vehicle into a road, a portion of a road or in an  area, at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021  [Pedestrianised Street or Area] is provided, during the period indicated  on the information plate accompanying the said traffic sign.

(b) Paragraph (a) shall not apply to a person who is driving a pedal cycle on a cycle track.".

9. Article 47 of the Principal Regulations is hereby amended by the  insertion of the following sub-articles after sub-article (2):—

"(3) A cyclist facing traffic sign number RTS  006 or RTS 007 (cycle traffic lights) in which one lamp is lit and shows  a figure of a cyclist in green, may proceed beyond that traffic sign  provided no other road user is endangered.

(4) Where traffic sign number RTS 006 or RTS  007 (cycle traffic lights) is provided, and a lamp in that traffic sign  is lit and shows a figure of a cyclist in red, a person shall not drive a  pedal cycle past the traffic sign.

(5) Where traffic sign number RTS 006 is  provided and a lamp in the traffic sign is lit on an intermittent basis  showing a figure of a pedal cyclist in green or where traffic sign  number RTS 007 is provided and a lamp in that traffic sign is lit and  shows a figure of a cyclist in amber, cyclists may not cross the road  unless they had commenced to do so while a lamp showing a figure of a  cyclist in green was lit on a constant basis.".

10. The County of Offaly Traffic and Parking Bye-laws, 1993 ( [URL="http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/si/0087.html#zzsi87y1994"]S.I. No. 87 of 1994[/URL] ) are hereby revoked save for Part V and Part VII of such bye-laws.

Dated this 31st day of July, 1998.

Robert Molloy

Minister of State at the Department of the Environment and Local Government

[CENTER]EXPLANATORY NOTE[/CENTER]

These Regulations amend the Road Traffic  (Traffic and Parking) Regulations, 1997 to provide for certain road  facilities for pedal cyclists and to provide for certain exemptions from  the regulations for particular classes of vehicles.

Advertisement