Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artane Castle Shopping Centre

Options
  • 14-12-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

I haven't been in the shopping centre in a long time, except running into Tesco the odd time, so I haven't really noticed what shops are still there or not. Anyway, I'll be over that way on Friday and need to do a few things.

I need to get dry cleaning done - is there still a dry cleaners in the shopping centre? I found the phone number of the dry cleaners online but it's out of service so I'm wondering if they're gone.

Also, is there still that photo developing/photo frame shop there, across from Penneys?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

cosmic wrote: »
    I haven't been in the shopping centre in a long time, except running into Tesco the odd time, so I haven't really noticed what shops are still there or not. Anyway, I'll be over that way on Friday and need to do a few things.

I need to get dry cleaning done - is there still a dry cleaners in the shopping centre? I found the phone number of the dry cleaners online but it's out of service so I'm wondering if they're gone.

Also, is there still that photo developing/photo frame shop there, across from Penneys?

Thanks!

The photo place is still there but think the Dry Cleaning shop is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭chopperp

PHOTO SHOP THERE , DRY CLEANERS GONE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Yes there is a dry cleaners, next the o2 shop.

pabloh999 wrote: »

Still? Deadly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Just me being fussy but it's Artaine Castle ;)

Artaine Castle in Artane, why it is that way I do not know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's Artaine Castle, because when there was actually a castle in the district, back in the days, that's the way the name of the area was spelled. If you look at old maps and stuff, you can see the spelling.

look here, a map from as recent as 1901, and you can see the site of the castle, and it's name.

Dublin_1901_NE_B.png

It was even called Tartaine at some stages too!

There used to be a saying foor fellas who has a side part in their hair that it was "all over to one side, like Artane" because of the cottages along the Malahide Road there opposite The Goblet pub are all on the same side of the road.

There's a great book called Green Fields Gone Forever by Douglas S Appleyard with a brilliant history of the area from Fairview down to Coolock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Amazing to see how much the Bull Island has grown in a hundred years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

spurious wrote: »

You wanna see how much its grown in 30 years...i estimate 100 yards of water has been lost on the side nearest clontarf road since the 1970's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Look at map and see the word "Turk" on the left. What is the full word,nanybody know?

• Advertisement

Inbox wrote: »
    Look at map and see the word "Turk" on the left. What is the full word,nanybody know?

Clonturk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

cosmic wrote: »

Thanks!

I met Darth Vader in Artaine Castle and got his autograph. '83 or '84, I think. Nice guy.

I met Darth Vader in Artaine Castle and got his autograph. '83 or '84, I think. Nice guy.

I met Bosco in Northside Shopping Centre when I was a kid. It was the best day of my life... at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Des wrote: »
    It's Artaine Castle, because when there was actually a castle in the district, back in the days, that's the way the name of the area was spelled.

they built the Industrial School/St. Davids CBS from the rubble of it, or so the story goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Absurdum wrote: »
    they built the Industrial School/St. Davids CBS from the rubble of it, or so the story goes!

I went to that school and never heard this.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Des wrote: »
    I went to that school and never heard this.:confused:

I'm pretty sure it used to say it on a stone outside the shopping centre

Edit - I was just down at the shops , the stone is actually still there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

pabloh999 wrote: »
    02 shop and dry cleaners in Artane Castle? You might be confusing Artane with Omni Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

02 shop and dry cleaners in Artane Castle? You might be confusing Artane with Omni Park?

There is an o2 in Artane, but none in Omni. Although you can buy o2 gear in Carphone Warehouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Errrr... no actually! Artane has nearly always had a phone shop and dry cleaners.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

spurious wrote: »
    Sure the island was formed in the 80 years preceding that photo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement