Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Naas to IFSC

Options
  • 14-12-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi I am wondering what would be the quickest/cheapest way to commute from Naas to the IFSC. I start work at 08:30 and finish at 17:30. I see 3 options:

1. Drive to Saggart and get the Luas from there
    2. Bus from Naas to IFSC
    3. Train from Sallins to Heuston and Luas to IFSC

Which works out the best?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

heuston and lues for sure. Quickest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

gsxr1 wrote: »
    heuston and lues for sure. Quickest
    I sometimes get the train from celbridge (same line) 'tis a nice clean train, and quick. Luas, will be standing room only I'm afraid, at least it was anytime I've gotten it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I sometimes get the train from celbridge (same line) 'tis a nice clean train, and quick. Luas, will be standing room only I'm afraid, at least it was anytime I've gotten it

you could get a 90 bus from Hueston instead of Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭nimbinsurfer

Cheers for the replies. Would the bus be that slow from Naas? Probably be living on the Dublin Road and would be able to walk to the busstop to catch one of the Bus Eireann services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Bus into town is quick. They used the bus lane from before Newlands Cross all the way to the city centre. Haven't used it for a while but I'd imagine 50 mins.

Train from Sallins to City centre and then a bike to the IFSC would probably be cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Route 126 timetable is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Bus. 7.15 or 7.25 ex-Naas should get you in on time.

Train and luas is more expensive, disruptive and not much faster.

Going home you can get bus from George's Quay which isn't much of a walk. Try and leave five minutes early to catch the 5.30pm service.

Going by the timetable the 07:15 and 07:25 won't have me in on time. One 07:15 goes by DCU and the others drop off by Stephen's Green, which is a good 15 min walk to IFSC. The bus would be alot handier but time's don't seem to suit.

Going by the timetable the 07:15 and 07:25 won't have me in on time. One 07:15 goes by DCU and the others drop off by Stephen's Green, which is a good 15 min walk to IFSC. The bus would be alot handier but time's don't seem to suit.

The "non-DCU" 7.15 should drop at just before O'Connell Bridge - probably around 8.15 - before it turns up to go to the Green. Maybe you could walk from there?

The Green-bound buses usually drop off at Trinity - at the Dublin Bus stops for the 15s (just before the gates - almost opposite the Screen cinema). To walk from there to Tara St is fast enough (if you go down by The Long Stone) and it's not so far then to walk to the IFSC.

Cheers. I better contact Bus Eireann and make sure they do drop off at those points and whether they collect at the bus stop on the Dublin Road in Naas. Thanks for all your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Sorry for Hi jacking.
    I am currently driving into Maynooth from Donadea (well between Staplestown and Prosperous) - Leave house at 7:25 am and am in work for 9
    I get 5:05 Sligo train home and am usually home in house 6/6:15 (finish work at 5)

I was wondering if anyone drives in to Dublin from area and how long this takes - I was thinking of renting a space - saw them around 70 euro per month around Heuston station - would it cut down on the Commute time or would it be madness and lead to me sitting in traffic for hours!

Currently getting free parking in Maynooth but current bout of winter paranoia makes me think that isn't going to last much longer - that and it seems to be getting harder to get a space - saw new car park advertising parking €25 per week - would make trip to work quite expensive when adding in 110 per month for train.

Anyone any idea of how long it would actually take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

For Donadea Leo

The next station down is Louisa Bridge. Large car park there for €7 a week(I think), across the road from the station.
    Another option to consider

Thanks for that Mulk,
    Trying to avoid the train station parks as takes ages to get out of them and the direct train to Maynooth is a real bonus in terms of getting home early. I'm probably looking for the best of all worlds really. I think the I saw a note on the Train Station in Maynooth saying it is going up to €3 per day so would probably be 10 euro a week.

OP,
    It might be worth checking out train to Heuston and joining Dublin Bike Scheme for a gentle cycle to the IFSC - should only take about 10 minutes on a bike if even. It's only 10 euro for the bike scheme for the year and it'll give you a bit of exercise.
    I only got the train from Sallins once and thought it was a bit expensive as I had to pay on top of the inner hop zone which seemed strange as it is a shorter train journey than from Maynooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Thanks for that Mulk,
    Trying to avoid the train station parks as takes ages to get out of them and the direct train to Maynooth is a real bonus in terms of getting home early. I'm probably looking for the best of all worlds really. I think the I saw a note on the Train Station in Maynooth saying it is going up to €3 per day so would probably be 10 euro a week.
    It's going to 3 a day or staying on 2, if you use the park by text system

Cheers. I better contact Bus Eireann and make sure they do drop off at those points and whether they collect at the bus stop on the Dublin Road in Naas. Thanks for all your help.

You're welcome. I get the 126A in the mornings and get off at the Red Cow so I don't go the whole way into town very often. Safest to check with them for the official stops [some drivers will be more flexible].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CJackson

Thanks for that Mulk,

if you're ever using the Sallins/Naas train station you can park at a cheaper rate in the SuperValu/Waterways carpark.

Advertisement