Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors Hours

Options
  • 14-12-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Just wondering if this is the case in every doctor surgery.
    Phoned today to make apt for my 1 year olds vaccination. I currently work 2 half days (Mon & Tues) and full time Wed to Fri. I tried to make apt for Monday afternoon and apparently the nurse only does vaccination on a Mon & Tues morning only. This means I will have to take annual leave to bring him for these vaccinations. Is this the case in every practice.
    Doctor is in Sth Dublin

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No only in some.
    Our local doctor will do them anytime and our previous one think it was only mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

Thanks, I know the service is free, but with 2 in creche, annual leave is very sacred, in terms of needing days off to mind them when sick,

Chicken pox and conjunctivitis took care of 10 days on my first, so the idea of wasting a half day on something that could be taken care of on my afternoon off.
    Are there any drop in clinics for getting vaccinations?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

My gp will only do them in the mornings but they said this was in case babies had a reaction to the vaccination

On my first they would do them at any time of the day, but at that time, they didn't have a nurse in the practice.
    Back then they had a walk in clinic in the mornings and apts only in the afternoon. Now its an apt only clinic, and I find it increasingly difficult to get apts on the day if one of the children are sick.
    When my second started creche he picked up a bug which I ignored for at firts but throughout the day it got progressively worse and when I phoned looking for an apt, the receptionist said "you left it till now to phone about your sick child". I hung up and waited until 6pm to phone East Doc. In the end it was just viral and time healed! as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Would you consider changing gp? I'm moving to a new one for similar reasons; they only open mornings and I'd rather not have to take a full day off for a vaccination. The gp I'm moving to opens up to 3.30pm so I can take a half day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I changed GP too for that reason. He now goes to one next door to his crèche and they open 5-7 two evenings a week so I can bring him in for his jabs after I pick him up.

am tempted to change but its an all female practice and I liked that. What is the story with changing, do you request your files to be sent to the new doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ocy wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is the case in every doctor surgery.
    Phoned today to make apt for my 1 year olds vaccination. I currently work 2 half days (Mon & Tues) and full time Wed to Fri. I tried to make apt for Monday afternoon and apparently the nurse only does vaccination on a Mon & Tues morning only. This means I will have to take annual leave to bring him for these vaccinations. Is this the case in every practice.
    Doctor is in Sth Dublin

All practices they to manage the workload to suit them selves, each does it differently. This is how yours does it.

How many Doctors in the practice, smaller one might have have a full time nurse, some do not even have a nurse.

Advertisement