Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Problem Family" Vs "Ignorant People"

Options
  • 14-12-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Nice bit of sensationalism on behalf of the Carlow People and ignorance on behalf of the people of Myshall.
    I know the family in question(not personally) they live on the same road as my mam ,I don't get the whole way they have been portrayed , they have had on going problems with their next door neighbour(s) and were moved to the nearest available council house (Myshall) where they don't have neighbours.
    I find the peoples reaction the photo a bit ridiculous , I would wager that 95% of the people in the photo don't even know the family in question.

http://www.carlowpeople.ie/news/do-not-bring-problem-here-2962009.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I'm inclined to think there's no smoke without fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Was covered on the 6:01 news last evening too. Got a good bit of TV air time, interviews, the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Was covered on the 6:01 news last evening too. Got a good bit of TV air time, interviews, the lot.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1212/media-3139393.html#

Just saw that , bit OTT , They are a proper bunch of dole lifers from parents to kids , they ain't no angels but compared to some of the other young lads going around here they aren't that bad , by the looks of things it ain't happening anyway. Myshall is a strange place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Are the family being moved because they have been involved in anti-social behaviour or have they been unfortunate victims of some of the worse elements that can exist in some "close knit" housing estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭johnny_cash

I don't know the family but if the story's i heard about them are true i wouldn't want them living beside me either.

• Advertisement

I don't know the family but if the story's i heard about them are true i wouldn't want them living beside me either.
    I wouldn't believe any stories anyway because Carlow people are awful gossips and you don't know who is telling the truth or who has started off any rumors (probably those with an interest in the story).

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

It's not ignorant people. Everyone from the area knows these of these people. Why is it fair to put these people in Myshall and make us put up with this antisocial behaviour.
    If they really want to give this family a fresh start they should move them further away where less people would be likely to have prejudice against them.

It's not ignorant people. Everyone from the area knows these of these people. Why is it fair to put these people in Myshall and make us put up with this antisocial behaviour.
    If they really want to give this family a fresh start they should move them further away where less people would be likely to have prejudice against them.
    If they or any other family are responsible for anti-social behaviour should they be housed by the council?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If they or any other family are responsible for anti-social behaviour should they be housed by the council?

I would never like to see any family living on the street but I don't think it's a good idea to move a family to an area where they are clearly not wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I would never like to see any family living on the street but I don't think it's a good idea to move a family to an area where they are clearly not wanted.

It will be interesting to see how far it goes.

I heard of a similar "relocation" a few years ago that ended up with a council house ending up burnt to the ground so no one could live in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭scatter

I say well done to those people who protested . Putting a problem family into any area ,what do you think is going to happen ? If they dont respect and mind the council house they had and respect their neighbours in Bagnalstown ,would it be any different if they were landed here.?Although i think they would have got a lesson in manners fairly quick .

I heard yesterday that they won't be moved in, but that's just hearsay, not directly from anyone down protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

If its the family I think, I grew up in that estate. They're not that bad tbh, they lack a bit of intelligence more so than being lunatics.

Everyone in your area 'knows' of these people , they don't know them , they like most people know stories and chinese whispers , my knowledge of these people comes from growing up close to them , my mam still lives on the same street and has never ever had a problem ,I have never had a problem everyone I know has never had a problem... What you know and what you hear are two different things.
    They are not angels , but they defiantly are not that bad to be worthy of a 24hr protest considering they are being moved because of a problem with 1 neighbour , this is where the 'ignorant' comment comes from.
    I would be willing to wage money that the majority of the people pictured on the front of the Carlow people could not even tell these kids from another.

zeds alive wrote: »
    Everyone in your area 'knows' of these people , they don't know them , they like most people know stories and chinese whispers , my knowledge of these people comes from growing up close to them , my mam still lives on the same street and has never ever had a problem ,I have never had a problem everyone I know has never had a problem... What you know and what you hear are two different things.
    They are not angels , but they defiantly are not that bad to be worthy of a 24hr protest considering they are being moved because of a problem with 1 neighbour , this is where the 'ignorant' comment comes from.
    I would be willing to wage money that the majority of the people pictured on the front of the Carlow people could not even tell these kids from another.
    I would think they have a problem with more than just one neighbour as you put it to warrant being moved out of the estate by the council. Are they the subject of any eviction proceedings or have the council just decided to move anyone that applies for a move?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Well I have heard that no one will be moving into that house in Myshall until the end of April 2012. The Council are going to continue to do repairs to the house until then.
    I don't know the family but I have heard the its a family of six,so how would a family of six live right in a two bed room house.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I would think they have a problem with more than just one neighbour as you put it to warrant being moved out of the estate by the council. Are they the subject of any eviction proceedings or have the council just decided to move anyone that applies for a move?

I'm not sure about the move , but according to my mam the situation with the neighbour has been going on for years and finally came to head recently , so after non stop complaints from both sides both were given an option to move and one took it.

I'm not coming to their defence , I think they are a bunch of wasters , I'm just amazed at the reaction to their move...

iTom wrote: »
    I don't know the family but I have heard the its a family of six,so how would a family of six live right in a two bed room house.

I'm *guessing* that the oldest(18+) kids have probably been given their own response appartment? leaving the family at 4?

What I find strange is that there is 3 council houses boarded up and abandoned for the last 6 months - 1 year around the town but these have not been allocated to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Tbh the family in question are trouble! Its not them being portrayed bad! My bf is from the area, just around the corner from them and Ive seen some of the stuff they have done! If they moved anywhere near me id be pretty peeved off aswel! There Trouble with a capital T

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Just heard they are now living in Graigue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

I just heard they are now living in Graigue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

bogof wrote: »
    I just heard they are now living in Graigue.

heard it myself just now, locals not too happy. the council have moved enough troublesome families into graigue already

they ve been moved into a house near st clares church, hopefully our local reps will make themselves available to listen to the concerns of people living in graigue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

They're in one of the first block of apartments down from the bridge on Castle Quay. Brewery?

testicle wrote: »
    They're in one of the first block of apartments down from the bridge on Castle Quay. Brewery?

thanks, couldnt think of the name, told my mother and she is terrified .

Owryan wrote: »
    they ve been moved into a house near st clares church, hopefully our local reps will make themselves available to listen to the concerns of people living in graigue
    testicle wrote: »

Wouldn't it be nice at this time of year to wish people a happy Christmas in their new home?

What did you tell her that made her terrified ?

Shes been broken into before so naturally enough not best pleased about having more "troublemakers" moving to graigue.

Nothing to do with me, radio n papers have painted the family as undesireable.

Are these the same family who were due to move into the burnt out house in County Kilkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

No Foggy_lad the are not the same.
    The were living in Kilkenny for awhile and were to be moved to that house.

Advertisement