Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

But its cold outside

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Time for a catch up!!

Rest of Week 2nd - 8th October

Thursday 5th October - Rest
    Didn't get out for a run - body in bits after Sport Massage on Wednesday. . . . hips particularly so...

Friday 6th October - Session

WU, 2 x 10 mins @ 7.45 off 4 mins, cd

I found this a bit tough as the body is still tired & sore but I hit all the required paces

10.05, 9.44(.51)
    10 min @ 7.40, 4 mins @ 10.46
    10 min @ 7.40, 4 mins @ 10.46
    10.03, 9.58

Total 7.01 in 1:04 @ 9.11

Saturday 7th October - International parkrun day - Navan parkrun

Youngest wanted to do this (found out while we were running that she thought there would be cake as it was parkrun's 13th birthday :D
    With a few short walking breaks she still managed it in 33.58 for her 2nd slowest parkrun and her 7th overall. Not bad for an 8 yr old!!!:D

Total 3.30m

Sunday 8th October - 3/4 Marathon in Longwood

I was using this as pacing practice for the 4.40 at DCM. I was a bit apprehensive about this as its outside my comfort zone and about recovery pace so wasn't sure how the body would hold up. Had Sport massage on Wednesday and was booked in for another the following week to sort out any issues.

Didn't need to worry as it went very well. I started off with the pacers for the 4.30 group as i though they were going @ 10.40 pace as this was what i was planning. Mile 1 beeped in on target @ 10.41 but then there was a drop in pace and it got very congested. I approached Pat & Des the 2 pacers and asked what was their planned pace and they said 10.50ish, so i bade them farewell and myself and my 4 running buddies went ahead to get more room and get on target. 3 of them pulled away a bit but i held fast and got into a rythm with Teresa and the next 9 miles flew by with me keeping one eye on the pace but enjoying the chat. Annapr joined us and the chat was great.

At the water station at around 9.5 m I needed a toilet break, not something I would usually do but hey it wasn’t a race!! I told the 2 women id catch them up. 2 minute delay and then I ran a little faster for the rest of mile 10. Mile 11 & 12 both came in too fast but I was catching the women when I realised that I would have to do another few faster miles to catch them. I could see them up ahead but the bigger picture was all about the pace so I dropped back to a slower pace and for the rest of the run I was on my own but constantly passing people.
    Legs were getting tired by the end but would have had no problem doing another 6miles so it was a great boost for me. Longest run since Donadea 50k, back in February. I was slightly faster than planned but on marathon day it will be easier to maintain the pace in the crowd.

I drank 750ml of Tailwind up to water station @ 9.5m and then I took water at each water station and a bit of fruit cake at the last water station!! I took 1 gel at mile 7 and another at 14 just to see how the stomach was. The tailwind certainly was easy on the stomach so will follow this for the marathon and then 2 gels after the 750m bottle is gone!! There’s no way I could add the powder at the water station so will premix and carry 750m and that will do nicely!!!
    Great to catch up with lots of running buddies from here and elsewhere. Didn’t like the Tayto sambos at the end and would have preferred a ham or salad sambo with the cuppa Tae!! Didn’t take any water melon either but wishing I had after hearing all the good comments about it!!! Enjoyed a burger in Supermacs on the way home and then had a proper dinner later at home!!

10.41, 10.36, 10.28, 10.34, 10.45, 10.36, 10.32, 10.29, 10.29, 12.10, 10.14, 10.19, 10.33, 10.32, 10.36, 10.33, 10.44, 10.32, 10.34, 10.26(.75)
    Total 19.75m in 3.29.43 @ 10.37.

WTD: 41.81m
    MTD: 54.03m
    YTD: 1139.28m

ariana` wrote: »
    Hope the 3/4 went well and you're feeling better x

Just wondering what group you're pacing in DM?

Hi ariana, I'm pacing 4.40.
    I think you'll be going a bit faster but haven't got to catch up this week yet so not sure how your injury is holding up. Hope you got it sorted.
    annapr wrote: »
    Great to see you yesterday Anne, you made it look easy!

And sorry for putting fajitas in your head but I did say they were a bad idea! :eek:

Great to see you too annapr and thanks for the company for a few miles. There was no bother on you . All bodes well for the big one!!

Week 9th - 15th October

Monday 9th October - rest
    legs were surprisingly good considering Sundays slow pace and the longest run in quite a while.

Tuesday 10th October 3m Easy run
    Just a short easy run to shake out the legs. Quads were a bit tight starting this off but were fine by the end of it.

10.15, 10.12, 10.12 10.07(.20)
    Total 3.20 in 32.39 @ 10.12

Wednesday 11th Oct - unplanned Rest

no time during the day for a run and then sports massage on the way home followed by Open evening for the younglad for secondary school.
    Sports massage was surprisingly sore on the quads as they felt relatively ok but definitely were better afterwards. Hips & Calves were not as tight as last week

Thursday 12th October 4m easy including 6 x 1 min at slightly faster

This nearly didn't happen. The early work shifts are catching up with me and i was exhausted. Only for the eldest had training I would have gone to bed at 7, but once i put the gear on I felt a bit better so while she trained I ran around the 1km loop of the football & soccer pitch. The athletic club have moved into the track in Navan for the winter so i was all alone for this one!!!

Some of this was fairly slow as the furthers part of the soccer pitch was in darkness so slowed down each time and grass was long but the slow pace was perfect this evening.

Felt grand doing it and just did the minute faster from the same point on each lap. they came in a different reps but i just ran a bit harder. Lovely misty rain was very refreshing and i enjoyed it. Legs felt great after it and I slept like a baby.

6 x 1 mins - 7.31, 7.42, 7.21, 7.22, 7.48, 7.25
    Total 4.10m in 40.42 @ 9.56

Friday 13th October - 5m easy
    This was put off and off all day and eventually @ 8.40 I had to hit the treadmill or else head to Ardee in the dark. Youngest took her toys off the treadmill so i had to stay home. :D
    Hate the treadmill but would have been annoyed with myself if i didn't do it so stuck the ipad on the treadmill and caught up on 1.5 episode of Person of Interest on Netflix.. 5 sweaty miles flew by

Total 5.16m in 50.55

Saturday 14th October - Session wu, 6 x 800 alternating 7.45, 8.00 (aim 3.50 & 4.00) off 1 min rec, cd

Morning soccer, afternoon birthday party and evening football so the run was sandwiched in between....
    I did 1.5m warm up and 2 mile cool down. During the first mile warm up, I had to pass a field where the farmer was spreading slurry and i was retching and gagging and my late breakfast nearly came back up but decided to sit in the top of my stomach instead :eek:....this lead to a bit of an uncomfortable run.....reps 5 & 6 were the toughest -stomach wise!!!
    Rep 4 was tough as i turned and it was into a headwind.... longer 2m cooldown to avoid said mentioned farmer & spreading!!!:eek:

10.06, 9.57(.50)
    800m reps 1, 3, 5 - aim 3.50 - 3.47, 3.46, 3.48
    800m reps 2, 4, 6 - aim 4.00 - 3.56, 3.58, 3.55
    10.11, 10.06
    Total 6.70m in 1.01 @ 9.15

Sunday 15th - LR
    Got a call to see would i keep someone company on the run today so instead of pacing practice I jumped at the chance of company. It was lashing as i drove to meet her but thankfully the rain stopped ans stay away for our entire run. Really enjoyed the run with out watching the clock. We got back tot he start with 12.35 on the clock and although there was 12m on my plan, she had hoped for 14 so we split the difference and did a half marathon!!!

10.06, 9.33, 9.35, 9.36, 9.37, 9.38, 9.51, 9.35, 9.48, 9.36, 9.43, 9.42, 10.02, 9.09(.25)

Total 13.25m in 2.08 @ 9.43

WTD: 32.41
    MTD: 86.44
    YTD: 1171.69

2 weeks to go.

Delighted to have managed to drop 6lbs so far and getting great sleep and nutrition & hydration are in a good place.
    Also after much deliberation i posted my entry for Donadea 50k and it has been received & accepted so no slacking after Dublin!!:D

Week 16th - 22nd October

Monday 16th Rest
    and rest I did tucked up safely at home and during the morning we cooked up a storm in case the ESB went out...lucky for us it didn't. Got a bit hairy at times but we are well sheltered so didn't witness the devastation that some parts of the country did.

Tuesday 17th - rest unplanned
    a beautiful day but didn't have time for a run before daylight faded and hadn't the heart for the treadmill. :o

Wednesday 18th - Easy run
    A quick trot out the road in the dusky evening and got back just as evening light was fading. plenty of trees and branches down on my usual back road route!!
    Strange evening, cooler than I thought it was. I had shorts & long sleeved top on, pulled the sleeves up but had to turn them back down as arms were cold on the return leg of the run. :rolleyes:But now that I think of it , it was 1 degree when I was heading to work yesterday morning:eek: I ahd to wear gloves in the car as my permantely cold hands were like ice but a balmy 10 degrees this morning!!
    10.12, 10.21, 10.10, 10.27, 10.07, 9.55(.20)

Total 5.20 in 53.15 @ 10.14

Thursday 19th - Session
    wu, 2 x (4, 3, 2, 1 mins @ 7.30 off 75 sec) 5 mins rec, cd

headed out for this and decided Id head for the Acres road.
    all went well and I found the pace comfortable enough and tried to run by feel with an odd glance at the watch.

The second 4 mins was straight into a head wind so effort was slightly higher on this but otherwise all fine. Erring onto the too fast side but think Coach allows for this and if I can run my 10k on Sunday at the 7.25 - 7.30 pace I'd be delighted!!!

|4.00| 3.00| 2.00 | 1.00|
    Rep 1|7.25| 7.24| 7.24| 7.22|
    Rep 2|7.26| 7.24| 7.24| 7.23|

very happy with the consistency of the reps

Total 6.60m in 1:00:06 @ 9.06

WTD: 11.80m
    MTD: 98.24m
    YTD: 1183.49m

Rest of Week 16th - 22nd October

Friday 20th - Rest
    I decided to be sensible and not chase the 5m i missed by being a day later starting this weeks plan.

Saturday 21st - Navan parkrun 2nd Birthday

My 8 yr old daughter is mad to get her parkrun 10 tshirt so as per my training plan 3m easy/parkrun pacing was on the cards. There would definitely be cake this time so Laura wanted to run. The wind was howling when i called her to get up and i gave her the option to stay in bed but no up & away we went. It was a dry morning at our house but i threw in a change of clothes just in case!!
    As we drove the 20 km to Navan the sun was shining and it was all looking good. Then we spotted the rainbow and knew it was raining over in Blackwater park direction and sure enough when we arrived it was raining.

We walked to the start line as we had plenty of time, however because of the rain, they just sent everyone on their way so we(and a good few others) missed the actual start, i stared my watch and we waited 70 - 80m up from the start until all the runners had gone by and we joined in at the back. The rain got heaver on each lap and with the wind it was hitting us in a different direction on every lap too.

We had the usual few walk breaks, she gets 20 seconds each time. There is a hill going up one side of the park and down on the other and there are four trees planted each side of the path on the hill and now as we go up the hill each time, we know count the tress and shes up it before she realises it.

One thing she did spot and point out to me was the 3 or 4 young girls taking a short cut through the carpark instead of going around the path cutting off about .3 of a mile and going in to the finish chute despite us having passed them while they were walking on our first lap which means they only did 2 laps. She was not happy with that but as i pointed out, they are only cheating themselves.

Laura's 8th Park run. 32.49 for her, 32.52 for me

Sunday 22nd - Longwood 10k

I did this race last year with 2 Boardsies, no longer here:D:D Firedance & Tang now known as AGYR & 00negative. So when Coach suggested a race a few weeks back this was already in my mind to do..

Due to the heavy rain, parking was now changed and i found myself a bit away from the club house so i grabbed the gear bag and jogged tot he clubhouse. there was quite a queue for registration but seeing as i was preregistered I was straight in and collected number & goodie bag. Met another girl from the club and we changed, used the loos and jogged to the start in the village. The start was delayed by 10 minutes to allow for the backlog of registering runners!!!

Without any fuss the 10k runner were sent on their way. 5k runners were going afew minutes after us!I was about 5 rows from the front but still had to weave by a few that should have been back a few more rows.

The wind was very strong in the first mile and i held pace once i got comfortable as i didn't want to be dying in the end. I was planning/hoping for a progression type run. I didn't pay any attention to the watch except as each mile beeped in i had a quick look.
    For a PB i knew i had to be faster than avg pace of 7.37. Took me until mile 4 to get to that ave pace of 7.37. It dropped to 7.34 after mile 5 but mile 6 was very tough and i was fighting the demons telling me that i wasn't in PB shape and to slow up a bit:mad:...however the other voice was telling me that I'd be very disappointed if i drop pace deliberately and stop pushing and then miss by a few seconds. :confused: So i continued to fight and dug deep to hang on. The ave pace changed from 7.34 to 7.36 so it was a matter of hanging on until the end and by then i was judging what was left by saying to myself how many laps of a track it was. I managed a tiny spurt at the end.

Delighted how it went as in the first few miles, although legs were fine, breathing was fine, i wanted the PB but i could not get the legs to actually move any faster!!!

Its not a flat course nor is it hilly,:D there are a few rolling hills and twice up over the railway can be a bt of a sting. The wind was an issue in a couple of places but it just meant the effort was slightly highter for the pace but not too bad.

Got to 5k in 23.53 and i know for sure as a girl asked me the time as we approached the 5km marker. We ran alongside each other for a few minutes and then i pushed ahead. However as we approached the first & the biggest of the 2 railway bridges she took off and was 80m ahead of me by the time i came back down the hill on the other side. Within 500m I was gone past here again and i didn't see her for the rest of the race.
    A man passed me at 8kn point and he was the only person to pass me (except for the previously mention girl) after about 1km into the race. I realise a lot were not racing but there were plenty who were.

a fantastic spread afterwards with enough food to fill the same amount again but after a quick cuppa and a few small buns, i change int he empty changing rooms and then jogged back tot he car. I didn't hang around as had something else to get to.

Previous PB 47.21 Chip & watch time 47.14
    6th O40 female finished ( no 045 category)

7.47, 7.35, 7.41, 7.29, 7.25, 7.33, 7.01(.25)

Total for the day 8.05m

WTD: 22.89
    MTD: 109.33
    YTD: 1194.58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Younganne wrote: »
    Sunday 22nd - Longwood 10k

I did this race last year with 2 Boardsies, no longer here:D:D Firedance & Tang

Its not a flat course nor is it hilly,:D there are a few rolling hills and twice up over the railway can be a bt of a sting. The wind was an issue in a couple of places but it just meant the effort was slightly highter for the pace but not too bad.

Previous PB 47.21 Chip & watch time 47.14
    6th O40 female finished ( no 045 category)

This place is better off without either of those two messers :D. Well done Anne!!! Great to get a PB on that course but if it's not flat then it has to be hilly :p. All I remember 2 years ago is Tang telling me 'this is the last hill' as we turned a corner only to see another hill that went on FOREVER!! My PB lies on that course too, it's a brilliant race, so well organised.

Hopefully catch up with you on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

@AGYR Just shows the top notch pacing job that Tang lad did to run you to a PB on such a 'rolling' course. He was a great runner!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well Done that is fantastic PB and on tired legs as well

well done to your daughter that is fantastic a little trooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great running and determination AuldAnne :)

Nice to get a PB with more to come I'd say

Well done

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Delighted for you for the PB Anne, great pacing!

Love your parkrun coaching techniques with your daughter too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats on the PB Anne! Great to have nailed that one just before DCM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on the PB, sounds like a tough enough run too, makes it even sweeter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Enjoy pacing gig Sunday, well done on PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Belated congratulations on the PB at the weekend Anne and best of luck with the pacing gig on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Happy pacing on Sunday A, nice pb last weekend in prep for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Enjoy Sunday, i have no doubt you'll be a great pacer. I'll give you a shout out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mind those Novices on Sunday and enjoy the run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

All the very best tomorrow A. You will be a super support to those around you. Enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Congrats on the pb and good luck with your pacing gig, your pacees are a lucky bunch to have you looking after them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Happy pacing. Can tell from your expo performance that you’re a pro already. ;) Am sure you’ll get a good few over the line - best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Give your pacees hell! Well, maybe in the last few miles, they'll need it then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Enjoy the gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Good luck with the pacing tomorrow. Enjoy!

Anne, you looked like you were in your element at the pacers corner yesterday in the EXPO... your pacees are a lucky bunch... thanks for all the great advice and support you've given me along the way, you'll be a virtual pacer for me tomorrow too (in my head :)).

Enjoy the experience!

Can't remember if I've wished you luck already - not that you need it, you were born to pace. Have a great day and see you along the way and in McGrattans afterwards I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the best Anna!

Thanks Everyone for all the lovely well wishes. I was very nervous of whats about to unfold until I got to the Expo yesterday and worked the Pacers stand for a couple of hours and the lads filled me with great advice. They are all looking after the "newbie":D

Best of Luck to everyone running tomorrow, have a great day. Weather is looking near perfect. Looking forward to seeing how everyone gets on. Unfortunately I wont make McGrattons this year, but will catch up with you all on here over the next few days.

Week of 23rd to 29th October

Monday 23rd October - planned Rest

Tuesday 24th October - unplanned rest.
    Family funeral for my uncle left me too tired to run when i got home.

Wednesday 25th October - Easy Run
    5m easy run before sports massage. Everything felt tired but ok until Sport therapist got at me and then everything felt really sore & tight and he flushed everything out.
    He was working one handed and only treating regulars who are doing the marathon as he had an accident and required surgery which involved 42 stitches in this right hand to save his 2 fingers that got caught on a fence. Nothing wrong with his elbows anyway:eek: I had the imprint of them in my ass until yesterday.

Total 5.35m in 53.46 @ 10.03

Thursday 26th October - Rest

Had to let the body recover from massage so took another rest day.

Friday 27th October - 4m @ PMP (pacing marathon pace)
    Decided to do a dress rehearsal with sleeves, planned vest & new belt to make sure all worked well. I found the first 2 miles came in too fast as i was clock watching but as soon as i relaxed i got a feel for the pace so was happy out. Body felt 100% better after this run and it was just what i needed.
    Total 4.13m in 43.48 @ 10.39

Saturday 28th - Easy shakeout.

Near 6 this evening before i got out for this. Was going to skip it but decided it would do me good to get out and it did. Ready for action now!!:D
    2.02m in 21.30 @ 10.39

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well done on Sunday.... Heard you nailed it ☺

Dublin Marathon 2017

I've had loads of people over the past year or so telling me that I'd make a fantastic pacer. A plan started to form of a way to get to run another marathon without having to race it as originally I was planning Boston 2018. Due to family commitments, Boston won't be happening now but London will, PG and I was on the Pacer substitution list from earlier this year. The first plan of a 5hr pacer backfired when a Piriformis injury re-occurred earlier this year so back on the pacers bench. Eventually 4.40 was the pace set and I was happy to go at this.

Sunday 29th October 2017
    Up at 4.45 am got myself ready, collected by 4 of our 6 club members running T 6am. We arrived in Dublin shortly after 7am. Parked on the Quays and a lovely leisurely walk to the start area. Photos, last minute advice especially to the 2 first timers and off they went while i left in my bag and went off to meet the rest of the Pacing teams. I was very nervous but so looking forward to it too.
    Lots of Hellos with loads of Boardsies, too many to mention and it was very calming. I just knew so many people it was wonderful.

Once the balloon was tied on loads of Americans came up to say my sister let them into the country (Works Emigration at Dublin airport)and they came to wish me the best for my pacing gig!! :D:D

Officials sent us on our way as we were causing a bit of a backlog as people stopped to talk and chat with us so off to wave 4 with us 4.30, 4.40, 4.50 & 5.00 pacers.

The 4.40 team was made up of Pat(Pacing Mule from these parts ) and the 2 x Annes. We eventually set off just after 9.30 to a bit of a chaotic start with loads of walkers in our way and unable to get any flow going. We eventually settled into a pace and just kept it going with constant checkins with each other on pace. The miles flew by, we had great chat & banter with the pacees and gave out tips & advice as we went along.

We passed 10k in a time of 1.06.05, we didn't have a 10k split on our pace sleeves or pace band but we were confident we were on target from the previous splits.

The sun at times was very hard while running straight into it and all we could do was give the advice to get the water on board and keep sipping. Great craic going under the tunnel with lots of "oggy oggy oggys"
    Halfway and we still had a great big group with us all enjoying the craic. Halfway split of 2:19:51 band on target!!
    Whatever about switching off while running with pacers, as a pacer you can never switch off and you are constantly checking splits against pace bands, with each other and giving support & advice to the runners.

The other (younger;)Anne as lead Pacer was fantastic and easy know she has a wealth of experience and I learned so much from her. Pacing mule was holding up the back of the group for the majority of the run and keeping the runners with us . However he had a nasty meeting with a lucozade bottle and eventually after 18m/19m had to let his balloon go.

It was down to the 2 Annes to bring the runners home. We worked together and kept the support going and as the heads dropped we tried to rouse everyone up and keep them going. We lost some but collected plenty along the way and brought them with us. To see the determination of runners but also despair of some of the runners as we came along side them and then past them was very humbling.(i know that feeling from previous marathons)

Heartbreak hill and we lost another few runners not to be seen again but we did our best. The crowds were fantastic and have to say the balloon got a lot of reaction and i just needed to raise my arms in the air and the supporters responded with a huge roar.

The last few miles, my body was started to object and i just want to increase the pace to get some relief but eventually it got used to the pace and everything settled down again.

The run in the last 2 miles was amazing and the crowd were phenomenal. Again the balloon garnered such a reaction and have to say felt like a bit of a celebrity at times!!:D:D The shouts out at Anne was funny at times as we didn't know which Anne they were shouting at!!

We crossed the line together in satisfaction in 4.39.35 and I was humbled to the bone with such a wonderful experience to see how human spirit runs strong within the running community & their supporters.
    It was fantastic to meet people after who thanked us and who achieved thier goals with a a little help from us!!!

Had a 15 mins flying visit to Mc Grattans to see some of the crowd from here but my lift was going so headed back for a planned meal and a few drinks which i thoroughly enjoyed with the club members, who all had fantastic day. Few more drinks in a local pub where hubby & kids met me and then home to the wonderful surprise of a special heart shaped cake cooked by the kids with 9 candles to represent my 9 marathon to date (inculding the 50k) a wonderful hot shower, tea , cake and then bed at a reasonable hour of 11pm...
    a long but wonderful day.

Today the body knows it ran a marathon but thankfully the quads are the only issue. I did 20 mins in 2 batches on the trainer and it really helped.

Stats for the day:
    10k - 1:06:05
    Half - 2:19:51
    30km - 3:18:32
    Full : 4:39: 35. . . negative split by 7 seconds...

750 m of tailwind up to 12m and then water after that.
    3 gels just because i was afraid not to!! :D 9m, 15m & 21m!!

Overall verdict: fantastic day and one i would highly recommend to anyone that is that way inclined. It is wonderful to give something back for all the support, advice #7 encouragement I've gotten over the years since joining Boards back in 2010.

Thanks to all the messages from members here on all the different media available and Thanks to Anto for the opportunity to experience such a fantastic experience!!!!!

Sounds like you had a brilliant time :) you were certainly having a ball on Chesterfield Avenue!! Hilariously the other Anne is also a friend of mine, one of the people who originally got me into running actually! She is fantastic, as are you. Massive well done on a great job, expect to see you on the regular pacers list now and I'll be hoping you're on the 4.30 train next year! Lovely to catch up in McGrattans too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done Anne on your pacing gig. Sounds like you enjoyed the job!

Great race report.

Well done Anne :) it was lovely chatting to you at the start I was sure we would catch you but poor hubby was feeling the heat and he was a wee bit worn out after the cycle up :eek: I could see you all ahead of us when he said he needed to walk for a bit to cool down.

I had a run in with a water bottle :( my foot was very sore but it eased off and niggled but nothing too bad thankfully, I felt lucky to be able to keep going. when I first stepped on it I panicked a little I knew it could end my day! it has really brought it home how it really could have stopped me with a DNF poor Pat I hope the foot is ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Belated congratulations on the 10k PB and well done on the pacing job!

That report just made me smile the whole way through.... :D. Born to pace is right!! Sorry I missed you in McG's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done Anne :) it was lovely chatting to you at the start I was sure we would catch you but poor hubby was feeling the heat and he was a wee bit worn out after the cycle up :eek: I could see you all ahead of us when he said he needed to walk for a bit to cool down.

I had a run in with a water bottle :( my foot was very sore but it eased off and niggled but nothing too bad thankfully, I felt lucky to be able to keep going. when I first stepped on it I panicked a little I knew it could end my day! it has really brought it home how it really could have stopped me with a DNF poor Pat I hope the foot is ok now

I was ok. When I slipped on the bottle my calf cramped up. Stretched it out for a little while and then took off carrying the balloon under my arm until I got back to the group. But the moment we hit the short hill at Milltown it spasmed again.

If you're not pacing you could happily spend a few minutes sorting things out or maybe drop the pace down for a mile to naturally work through it but when pacing you don't have the luxury. So I made the call to let the balloon loose as the last thing anyone wants is a pacer off pace and someone following them. Took a few minutes to get sorted and then jogged down to Ballsbridge. I actually rejoined the group and ran into the finish with the two Annes. Only lasting injury was to the pride :D

Glad you were OK yourself. Well done on sticking with it. Congratulations!

Well done on the pacing gig Anne, it looks like you got it bang on, more to come I'd say! I'm sorry i missed you, i started behind you but i lost you with the congestion in the first couple of miles. I did come very close to you at some stage around 38/39km (24m) but you were deep in conversation with the other Anne and i found it hurt me to switch to your pace (i was probably running about 5 seconds/km faster than ye but it felt like i was putting the brakes on :pac:) so i nipped around you but i was very sorry not to get the chance to meet :o

I was ok. When I slipped on the bottle my calf cramped up. Stretched it out for a little while and then took off carrying the balloon under my arm until I got back to the group. But the moment we hit the short hill at Milltown it spasmed again.

If you're not pacing you could happily spend a few minutes sorting things out or maybe drop the pace down for a mile to naturally work through it but when pacing you don't have the luxury. So I made the call to let the balloon loose as the last thing anyone wants is a pacer off pace and someone following them. Took a few minutes to get sorted and then jogged down to Ballsbridge. I actually rejoined the group and ran into the finish with the two Annes. Only lasting injury was to the pride :D

Hi pacing mule! From someone who started behind your group, i lost you guys early on, but i passed you as you pulled up to detach the balloon, and just to say it spurred me on to stay ahead of you (and ultimately catch the other pair) as i expected you to come racing up behind me at any second. So i just want to say that your stopping wasn't in vain, it spurred at least 1 runner on :D I'm glad you were ok.

That is great to hear :) you all done a fantastic job and thank you I am still buzzing after Sunday

Cant keep a good man down...you be back.

ariana` wrote: »
    Well done on the pacing gig Anne, it looks like you got it bang on, more to come I'd say! I'm sorry i missed you, i started behind you but i lost you with the congestion in the first couple of miles. I did come very close to you at some stage around 38/39km (24m) but you were deep in conversation with the other Anne and i found it hurt me to switch to your pace (i was probably running about 5 seconds/km faster than ye but it felt like i was putting the brakes on :pac:) so i nipped around you but i was very sorry not to get the chance to meet :o

Just read your report, delighted for you...plenty more to come off that time when you are in fine fettle and have the experience of this marathon behind you.

We will meet at a race soon no doubt..You have the advantage of know what i look like!! I'm the " young" one!!!;);)

• Advertisement

That is great to hear :) you all done a fantastic job and thank you I am still buzzing after Sunday

Ah delighted to meet you again N on Sunday and you were such a good support to your OH, can't imagine how tough he found it after cycling up and then to cycle home , Unbelievable!
    Plenty more to come off that time for the next marathon!!;)

Ah delighted to meet you again N on Sunday and you were such a good support to your OH, can't imagine how tough he found it after cycling up and then to cycle home , Unbelievable!
    Plenty more to come off that time for the next marathon!!;)

I am glad I said hello when I did, I was sure I would catch you again on the way round but that would not have happened :) It took a lot out of them all I think the cycle up was too fast, the cycle home was very handy I even joined in for that and I loved it we just spun out the legs :) very easy pace.
    I look forward to having another go next year, I want to keep the gains I have made now.

This party's Over. Time to crack on for Donadea!!!

October 30th - November 5th - Recovery week

Monday 30th Oct

I had the bright idea :rolleyes: of going on the bike on the trainer but only managed 5 mins in first attempt:o, so later had another attempt and managed 15 mins. Nice and easy and just moving the legs with no stress!!
    Total 20 mins easy cycling.

Tuesday 31st October - Happy Halloween.
    Unfortunately along with the creaky quads I now had a sore ass to contend with:eek::eek:.

Dropped the kids into my Mams and went for a brisk walk with my older sister, had to ask her to slow down a bit :o but it really worked wonders on my legs. Followed up with eating, drinking taa and trick or treating!!!
    2.24 miles in 37.14

Wednesday 1st November - Recovery run
    Beautiful sunny "Winters" day. Just headed out and let the body dictate the pace. No clock watching here!!! I could feel the legs coming alive during the run.

Just 2 nasty blisters to deal with now. During the marathon I had my big toe taped as i have tendinitis in it and the bit that had no tape get a huge blister on it!!!
    Followed up with a Sports massage, very painful on the Quads and he found that my left calf(outside of it) is very tender even though its not a bit sore, except when he worked on it!!!

11.40, 11.03, 10.58, 11.04, 10.29(.11)
    Total 4.11m in 45.54 @ 11.10

Thursday 2nd November - Rest
    after a lovely facial & back massage which relieved a lot of tension in my back, I rested instead of the planned easy run.

Friday 3rd Nov - Easy run
    Another easy run where the body dictated the pace. Not as sunny when i was running today and a tad cold but still dry & crisp.

10.21, 10.28, 10.16, 10.18, 10.14, 10.18(.21)
    Total 5.21m in 53.42 @ 10.19

Satruday 4th - Rest
    I was suppose to do the parkrun with the youngest but she got into bed with me at 6am as she wasn't feeling the best so we decided to have a lie in. I was delighted as i was knackered. Didn't bother going for a run after coming home from a funeral and just rested for the day

Sunday 5th November - Session
    wu, 10 min @ 8.15 pace, 3 min easy, 5x3 min @ 7.50 pace (75), 10 min @ 8.15 min pace, cd

Coach gave me this session and have to say i was a bit worried heading out, but I really enjoyed this session. It was tough enough to keep me working but not too tough that had me wrecked. Easing back into it!!

Beautiful sunshine but very cold. Hands were freezing, will have to dig out the gloves.

WU @ 10.11,
    10 mins @ 8.10, 3 mins @ 11.05,
    5 x 3 @ 7.40, 7.47, 7.46, 7.46, 7.44
    10mins @ 8.10,
    CD @ 9.48

Total 7.26m in 1.04 @ 8.57.

WTD: 16.58m(running)
    MTD: 16.58m
    YTD: 1249.09m

Week 1/14 for Donedea 50k - 6th Nov - 12 Nov

| Monday |Tuesday| Wednesday| Thursday | Friday| Saturday| Sunday|
    Plan| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 1 | 5m Easy| Rest| Session 2| 12m Easy|
    Actual| Rest|5m Easy| Session 1| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 2| 12m Easy|

Session 1 - wu, 12 x 45 sec hills, 90 sec recovery, cd
    Session 2 - wu, 4 min (2), 2x3 min (90), 3x2 min (75), 4x1 min (75) all at 7.30 pace

Tuesday 7th - 5m easy in the Phoenix park at lunch, thoroughly enjoyed this run, fab day.
    Total 5.04 in 50.02 @ 9.56

Wednesday 8th - Session 1. - 2m warmup over to the Kyber for this. Tried the first hill rep on the little path up to the right but the surface was way too uneven to get any speed and a bit too steep for first set of hills, so back to the bike/footpath for the rest.

After reps 8, 9 & 10 I had to stop the watch and take 10 seconds extra for recovery as my stomach was deciding whether to keep my oatcakes & peanut butter in or sent it flying...thankfully they stayed in!!!::D

12 x 45 sec hills @ 9.05, 6.50, 6.55, 6.51, 6.31, 6.36, 6.43, 6.26, 6.40, 6.37, 6.47, 6.49
    Total 7.10m in 1:10:39 @ 9.57

Sports massage Wednesday evening left me with sore everywhere as he worked out any remaining issues. so rested Thursday to let everything settle down.

Friday 10th - 5m Easy run. another easy run int he phoenix park at lunch. Forgot my watch and never thought of recording on the phone. Did same route as Tuesday. Sunny again but very windy and a nip in the air!!!

Total 5.04 in about 50 mins.

Saturday 11th - Session 2
    Put this off all morning and eventually just after 1.30 I headed out the main road to do this. I was in shorts sleeved tshirt but really could have done with my sleeves. I was meant to wear them but forget them and i wasn't going back for them.

No issues with this session and as usual enjoyed it. My arms & hands were numb by the time i got home!!

all reps were to be 7.30 pace but a few came in too fast!!! I tend to speed up near the end, as if I'm afraid the numbers will change and i wont hit my time even though they feel right when I'm doing them.... jogged all thee recoveries.
    I had a bit of an uncomfortable feeling in the back of my right knee for the last 2 x 1 min reps and for the cool down, but it disappeared when i stopped running!!

1 x 4.00 - 7.26
    2 x 3.00 - 7.21, 7.24
    3 x 2.00 - 7.27, 7.29, 7.31
    4 x 1.00 - 7.24, 7.29, 7.28, 7.22

Total 6.40 in 58:58 @ 9.13.

Sunday 12th - 12 Easy.
    Met up with 2 ladies from the club who were going to do 15k with me, so we headed off nice and easy. One of them picked a route that didn't have big hills in it as she is still in marathon recovery and i was fine with that as just glad of the company.
    Paid no attention to the pace at all and when we reached the turning point and turned back we had a very strong wind in our faces. Plenty of inclines and drags but no big hills. Back to the club and left them with 9.70m on my clock so headed in the other direction for the last bit.. Turned off onto a small road that I knew had a hill but forgot that it was 1 full mile of climbing, but just went with it.
    Very cold and windy but beautiful sunny morning and its done without me faffing about all day knowing it has to be done.

Total 12.20m in 2:04

this week I also did my strength exercises x 3 days to strengthen up my hips & glutes!!
    No shift on the weight this week..Still 165.8Lbs

Off to see Paddington 2 for the afternoon!!!:D

WTD:35.78m
    MTD: 52.36m
    YTD: 1284.87m

Week 2/14 for Donedea 50k - 13th Nov - 19th Nov

| Monday |Tuesday| Wednesday| Thursday | Friday| Saturday| Sunday|
    Plan| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 1 | 5m Easy| Rest| Parkrun Easy/20 mins Shakeout2| 10k Race|
    Actual| Rest|Rest| Session 1| 5m Easy| rest| | |

Session 1 - wu, 7 x 3 mins @ 7.30 off 2min rec, last 2 @ 90 sec recovery, cd

Tuesday 14th h - Rest unplanned.

A meeting in work went on waaay longer than I'd allowed for so no break. Was going to run on the treadmill when i got home but it was 7.30 and I was knackered so just watched the footy instead...should have gone to bed early
    Total 5.04 in 50.02 @ 9.56

Wednesday 15th - Session 1.

Young lads Soccer training has moved to Navan to Astro pitches so dropped him off and set off on my run.
    Didn't have time for 2m warmup so after 1.3m I came to a good spot with few pedestrians and more importantly no traffic so proceeded to do the 7 reps up and back along the same stretch. The 3 mins fitted in nicely between 2 estate entrances!! Jogged all the recoveries.

Found going in one direction(reps 3,5,7)except the 1st, that the pace dropped a big, but then realised there was a slight incline so had to work a little harder here to keep pace. jI just glanced at the watch now and again as couldn't really see it when in motion and not the best street lights. Time to get the auld eyes checked again!!!:o

Finished off with 1.2 cd and back just before 8 with time for a bit of stretching before soccer finished up!!!.

reps: 7.25, 7.26, 7.29, 7.23, 7.27, 7.25, 7.29

Total 6.35m in 58.22 @9.11

Thursday 16th - Easy run

Beautiful sunny day in the park again but the wind was bitterly cold heading out on the North road. Once i turned onto Chesterfield Ave towards Castleknock gate and then turned to return down Chesterfield, it was much more pleasant!!
    I really enjoyed this run and it felt way slower that stats say. I wasn't watching the clocks so felt nearer t 10 min miles.

9.45, 9.40, 9.31, 9.29, 9.31, 9.30(.11)

Total 5.11 in 48.55 @ 9.34

WTD:11.46m
    MTD: 63.52m
    YTD: 1296.3m

Change to the plan this week too. Not doing the Gingerbread 10k after all but i am doing the Annagassan 10k on Saturday instead with 13m LR on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best tomorrow Anne, hope it's not windy!!!

Good luck tomorrow Anne have a great run tomorrow I hope it is not as cold as today! :D

OOnegative wrote: »
    All the best tomorrow Anne, hope it's not windy!!!

Me too, Last 4k along the seafront could be very hard if there's much wind:eek:!! Thank B.
    Good luck tomorrow Anne have a great run tomorrow I hope it is not as cold as today! :D

I don't mind the cold as I'll soon warm up!! its the wind i don't like. Thanks N. Enjoy your run too.

Me too, Last 4k along the seafront could be very hard if there's much wind:eek:!! Thank B.

I don't mind the cold as I'll soon warm up!! its the wind i don't like. Thanks N. Enjoy your run too.

That is true and I prefer the cold my self, I just checked the weather forecast and I think it will be pretty calm http://passageweather.com/ :D

• Advertisement

Well done Anne!!!!! You're really on a roll :D congrats!

Advertisement