Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

But its cold outside

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done Anne!!!!! You're really on a roll :D congrats!

Thanks AgyR

New 10k PB today of 46.58 at the Annagassan 10k .

Race report tomorrow. No rest for the Wicked!!! I have to clean my house. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Superb stuff Anne, delighted to see this, your flying it fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fantastic.

Another PB for the glue factory gang :)

TbL

Week 2/14 for Donedea 50k - 13th Nov - 19th Nov - Cont

| Monday |Tuesday| Wednesday| Thursday | Friday| Saturday| Sunday|
    Plan| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 1 | 5m Easy| Rest| Parkrun Easy/20 mins Shakeout2| 10k Race|
    Actual| Rest|Rest| Session 1| 5m Easy| rest|Annagasan 10k |13.1m Easy |

Session 1 - wu, 7 x 3 mins @ 7.30 off 2min rec, last 2 @ 90 sec recovery, cd

Friday 17th November - Rest

Saturday 18th - Annagassan 10k

The opportunity to do this came up on Monday night as one of the club members was looking for 10 names to do a group registration @ €12 a head , sure why not. The decision was easy as the gang from Navan AC that I was to go to the Gingerbread run with all ended up not registering and only one was going for the half. 1.5 hours’ drive each way versus 25 mins to Annagassan, decision was easy as I do enough driving during the week, so decided to do Annagassan instead and gave my number to someone else as name changes were still allowed. Coach was fine as it meant I could also get a long run in!!

Sitting watching a Christmas movie with the youngest and losing track of time meant I left myself short on time to get a good warmup done.:eek: I was planning on running from the Harbour where I was parked, to the Club house but was told it was 3k so got the provided shuttle bus instead. Quick visit to the toilets and the warm up was from the Club house to the start line of .60 of a mile, that had to do!!!:eek:

The race started pretty much on time but I couldn’t hear a word that was being said. Starting mat is an unusual sight in a small race and if I’d know I would have been further back at the start, as I was a bit too far up for this start. Downhill start too meant that when I did see the watch hitting 7.10, I pulled back a bit as I knew it would come back to bite me in the ass. First mile beeped in at 7.24.

Settled into my run then and the next mile was uneventful and clocked in at 7.36. I wasn’t watching the clock and I had average pace showing (hoping for 7.30). Water at the start of mile 3 and just grabbed a bottle, had a sip and then continued. I was hoping it would help clear my airways. I had spent the first 2 mile, hacking and trying to get something clear from the windpipe. This has happened me on a few occasions and its very annoying as I can’t get proper breaths into me and end up wheezing!!!

Next mile had a double hill in it, you know one you run up then it levels off a bit but then there’s more uphill. Could see more uphill but thankfully we turned left and away from the next hill. Kept the effort even but mile 3 was slowest at 7.44. 5km came in a 23.40 so I worked out to get a PB the second half needed to be minimum 7 seconds faster.

We turned left again and onto the seafront and as I glanced to the shore it crossed my mind that if the sun was shining the view would have been spectacular but it was very grey at the moment with the sky and sea all looking the one grey colour.

Mile 4 I felt good and was motoring along nicely and was feeling good and the wind was blowing in off the sea but wasn’t head on so no issues. It was cold but refreshing at the same time. Mile 4 came in at 7.28.

I had been passed by 2 people flying as we turned onto the seafront just before 4m marker and they took off passing a group of about 10 people and disappearing into the distance. I too passed this group of people but I was starting to struggle. Mile 5 and effort was the same but pace was slowing. Then I got a stitch in my right side and a pain in my left knee at the same time.:mad: No idea why the knee pain, as I haven’t had it before but just decided to see if I could run it out. The stitch was not getting any worse and I knew that it was due to not getting proper air into my lungs. I was still trying to clear the throat and I was starting to sound distressed, as in the noise of my breathing was like a bad wheezing, this has happened before. The demons entered my head here and told me I had a perfectly good excuse to ease off and just jog it in. Mile 5 came in at 7.41 and I was losing hope

The PB was not looking likely and I was finding it tough. But then the Coach telling me to give it socks was in my head and I had a little chat with myself…FFS it’s a race, you are not supposed to be feeling comfortable and there’s about 10 mins left of running so HTFU…..I started counting down in my head and it took the focus away from he knee and the breathing.....then the knee pain disappeared and as I came alongside 2 runners and went to pass them, both off them took off and as I was in the middle I felt like they were carrying me along. It was great. The girl on my right lasted for about 400m and then stopped and the guy on my left went slightly ahead but then stopped too so I was on my own again. I tried to do a quick calculation and I had .6 of a mile left but couldn’t work it out. I was fully convinced I was at nearer to 48 mins but decided to keep going to see how near I could get to it.

I was wishing I had someone running alongside me encouraging me and I was brought back to Athlone Flatline Half over 14mth ago when AMK joined me for the last 800m and I could hear him again talking me through:D….and although I was dying I was not prepared to give up without a fight.

Mile 6 came in at 7.29 but I wasn’t aware of this at the time. The last time I’d looked at the watch it was showing 7.35 as average pace and I needed faster than 7.33.

Breathing was really bad at this stage and as a result the crowd were really egging me on…. The finish line was in sight and there was lots of kids standing with hands out for high 5's!! I apologised to them all in my head :o but I was unable to high 5 them. I was pumping the arms to keep me going and the aim was to get over the line and end this torture!!!

A guy came flying by me with 50m to go and passed about 2 more on the line and to my complete and utter shock I could see the clock turning 0:47:01 just as I was crossing it and my club mate standing at the line shouting “you did it" to me”!!!( I had been slagging him about pacing me to a sub 47 as he was injured so not racing but he flew by me early on and did 44:XX anyway!!!) the last .24 came in a 6.46, certainly didn’t feel like it!!! The guy who passed me came back to say well done to me and I'm sure its because i sounded so bad!!!:o No-one except him had passed me since mile 4 so i was very happy with that too.

I had to keep walking otherwise I'd have cramped up but only a minute or 2 later and I was fine again!! Then I realised I had gone sub 47 and was absolutely delighted. :D Never imagined it, had hoped for a few seconds but this was brilliant…..

10 from the club were running and all had good runs and we enjoyed the tea & sambos after but I headed for the car then as I was shaking from the cold. We were in the pub garden having the tea as it was very crowed and hot inside but the sea air had a big chill factor. I ran to the harbour with the intentions of chaning and going for a cool down run but by the time I changed I just hopped in the car and headed home. Home all done & dusted by 1.15pm!!

7.24, 7.36, 7.44, 7.28, 7.41, 7.29, 6.46(.24)

Previous PB 47.14 from Longwood 10k 4 weeks ago.

Garmin 47:00 for 6.24.
    Chip time 46:58
    Total 7.42m

Sunday 19th - 13m easy

Peter Kay tickets weren’t on sale until 10am so at 11am I met up with 2 others from the club at the clubhouse and off we set. Bit fast at times but the hills soon put manners on us. One of them finished up at 15k and 2 of us continued on. He finished at 21k but I went up and back down the road to get my HM distance. I’m the only one who works in miles, all the others are KM but I refuse to change as all my paces are in min per mile!!!

Really enjoyed this run and the chat. Could feel yesterday race in the legs by the end of the run but thankfully they are not too bad..

Very cold day and we stopped for a few minutes at a toilet stop for one of them and I was soon cold. The gloves were off but back on again after a few miles!!! #coldesthandsever!!

9.54, 9.24, 9.33, 9.35, 9.46, 10.05, 9.56, 9.47, 9.41, 9.46, 10.04, 9.56, 9.43, 9.23(.15)
    Total 13.15 in 2:08:34 @ 9.47

WTD:32.03m
    MTD: 84.39m
    YTD: 1316.90m

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done on the PB - great stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice racing, A - serious HTFU there! Congrats.

Did you get the tickets? :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice racing, A - serious HTFU there! Congrats.

Did you get the tickets? :)

I wasn't after the tickets, it was one of those I was running with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Super report Anne, you really dug in when you needed to most, well done -it's truly inspirational to see how far you've come, and continue to progress! Love it :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent running Anne and a fine report, congrats on the pb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

great report Anne and congratulations again on the PB great time for 10k

I have to agree with you it was freezing yesterday I had gloves and kept a light jacket on me for the first few KM of our run yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super running - very hard to run the 2nd 5k faster than the 1st - Top notch performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I really enjoyed that report, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Quality stuff Anne. You're going from strength to strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Fantastic running and report Anne, your old PBs are crumbling around you these days. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Anne, great running and great report. Congrats on the PB.

Thanks everyone for the lovely words.:D

2nd Tuesday in a row missing my run....think i'll have to retire as this working lark is getting in the way of my running :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's a super run, impressed with the ability to suck it up, I'm crap at that!

You've really consistently improved over the last 12 months or more, great to see and plenty more to come

TbL

That's a super run, impressed with the ability to suck it up, I'm crap at that!

You've really consistently improved over the last 12 months or more, great to see and plenty more to come

TbL

Thanks C.

Two reasons really why I "suck it up"

1. I'm a stubborn auld one and hate What Ifs??.. what if i kept pushing, what if i don't and what if I give up and then I'm left wondering etc:o

2, Coach gives me training to help me improve, so that's what I'm doing. I can do training runs any day so if I'm racing, then i leave it all out there(or as best I can on any given day)!! I've had plenty of "races" this year where they were training runs or sessions so its nice to see if I can get a return for the training.

The day will come eventually where I've peaked so until that happens I'll respect the training and keep pushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congrats on the PB Anne, enjoyed the report , must look into the HTFU stuff.

• Advertisement

Week 3/14 for Donedea 50k - 20th Nov - 26th Nov

Plan| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 1 | 5m Easy| Rest| Session 2| 13m Easy|
    Actual| Rest|Rest| 5m Easy|Session 1| 5m Easy|Session 2 |14m Easy |

Session 1 - 1-2 mile warm up, 10x45 sec hills (90 recovery) , 1-2 miles cooldown
    Session 2 - 1-2 mile warm up, 10x800 (7.40/8.00 pace target alternating) 1 min rec, 1-2 mile cooldown

Monday 20th & Tuesday 21st – Rest planned & unplanned.

Wedensday 22nd – 5m Easy.

Did this as soon as I got home with the 2 youngest from school. The oldest has a half day on Wednesday so she was home. It was very cold out and I had a hat & gloves on that didn’t come off. Legs were a little creaky so took it handy and didn’t look at the watch.

10.13, 10.13, 10.03, 9.59, 10.11, 9.51(.51)
    Total 5.51 in 55.40 @ 10.06

Thursday 23rd - Session 1 - 1-2 mile warm up, 10x45 sec hills (90 recovery) , 1-2 miles cooldown

Got a little delayed heading out for this and was about an hour later than had planned as was near 11.30 getting out. Headed over to the Khyber for the hills and it was another very cold day but the sun came out as I set off and I had no sunglasses so the glare was quite annoying at times!! Gloves stayed on again and although I warmed up, I wasn’t too warm.

First rep was slow but then got into them. Found I started to struggle with energy after about 6/7 of them and was slow to start off so lost a few seconds on them and then I realised that since breakfast at 5.30am, I’d just had a coffee and 2 x salt crackers, so no wonder I was starving and flagging.

Then for the last 2 the right IT band was niggling away and so they came in slower, but got it finished. I wouldn’t have been able to do anymore with the way the leg was by the 10th hill. I had to walk the last recovery and then it took a bit for the leg to ease out on the first cd mile.

Wu 9.51, 9.21
    7.12, 6.36, 6.33, 6.47, 6.52, 6.48, 7.17, 6.33, 7.10, 7.07
    Cd 10.24, 9.47, 9.21(.21)

Total 6.50m in 1.03 @ 9.49

Fri 24th - Easy run
    Ended up on the treadmill for this. Never thought to use the watch on indoor running mode, set up the treadmill and ipad & just zoned out. Feeling old by the time I was finished as I had not a clue of half the music in the current charts!!:o

Hamstrings and right quad/IT Band were niggly at the start but eased out as I went along. When I was switching off everything, I knocked over my large fan and broke it…..feck really need it or else it gets way too warm in the room.

5.20m in 52 @ 10.00 @ 1% incline

Saturday 25 th – session 2 -2 mile warm up, 10x800 (7.40/8.00 pace target alternating) 1 min rec, 1-2 mile cooldown

As I was heading out to do this, I was calculating how long I'd be as I always give an estimate on time so they know at home and then I realised I needed more time that I had allowed and it was 3.30 so daylight was against me.
    I wanted to do the full session so decided I'd give it a go on the treadmill.

Haven't done a proper session on the treadmill before and didn’t even know it the a pre-programmed session would work on indoor running but just went for it.
    I asked my very resourceful hubby to take a look at the broken fan for me and see if he could do something with it. Thankfully after just over a mile, when I was starting to really feel the heat, he arrived in with the fan fixed for me….God bless whoever created tie-wraps and those who know how to use them!!!:D:D

I had worked out in advance what speed I needed the treadmill at to get the required paces. Very happy with how the session went although the paces definitely felt a lot faster on the treadmill than on the road.:eek:

Treadmill cuts out after 59mins so had the 1.5m wu and 9 of the 10 reps done when I had to restart it, so finished it out then with 2 m cool down. In the cd miles, the IT band was at me again, but was fine once I stopped running.

10 x 800 - |Targets|7.40|8.00|
    | Reps 1 & 2 |7.37| 7.58 |
    |Reps 3 & 4 | 7.39 | 7.59|
    | Reps 5& 6 | 7.41 | 8.02|
    | Reps 7 & 8 |7.40 |7.59|
    | Reps 9 & 10 |7.40 | 8.00|

Total 9.08 in 1.23 @ 9.13

Sunday 26th – 14m Easy

Meet up at 11 after the frost disappeared with 4 others from the club and we headed off on the same route as last week. No watching the pace at all and we just chatted and ran. We had the same toilet stop as last week, small clean toilet that’s opened at a tiny little country church.

Slight change to the route after 9 miles and we ended up with steeper hills and everyone was getting tired. We were down to four at this stage as 1 girl veered off home after the 9m stage.

The other 3 then finished when we got back to the cars but I was only at 12.6m and I knew if I got 13.7 it would bring my weekly total to 40m so I continued off on my own for the last mile or so….really enjoyed the run and the company!!! No issues with the legs at all which I was delighted with.

Still doing my hip strengthening exercises and really can feel the difference when I’m running…

10.34, 9.59, 9.59, 9.56, 9.56, 10.06, 10.01, 10.20, 10.20, 10.19, 10.21, 10.22, 9.58, 9.38,

Total 14.01m in 2.28 @ 10.08.

WTD: 40.30m
    MTD: 124.69m
    YTD: 1357.20m

Nice weeks training A, fair play. Watch that IT band.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Nice weeks training A, fair play. Watch that IT band.

Will do, it had me awake a few times last night so have sport massage booked in for Wed.

Great week training :) some cold evenings out this week I always take off layers when running and never bothered with gloves running in the winter but I was raging I did not have them a few times this week and had to put back on my jacket bitter cold out!

Hope that IT band is ok

Baby75 wrote: »
    Great week training :) some cold evenings out this week I always take off layers when running and never bothered with gloves running in the winter but I was raging I did not have them a few times this week and had to put back on my jacket bitter cold out!

Hope that IT band is ok

yes this week was shockingly cold. I feel the cold very badly, although i sweat alot, i still get very cold. and when i finish running by the time i get home, even though i have changed my running gear tops i am shaking with the cold and takes me forever to warm up. I have to have the gloves on as my hands are always cold anyway.
    Yesterday i forgot my gloves and had to drive back home for them as i knew i wouldn't last without them. I had base layer and short sleeved t-shirt on and i was fine but the hat & gloves stayed on....easier take them off than be looking for them!!!:D

Week 4/14 for Donedea 50k - 27th Nov - 3rd Dec

Plan| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 1 |5m Easy| Rest| Session 2 | 14m @ 9.30|
    Actual| Rest|5m easy| Rest & Sports Rub| Rest|5m easy| Rest|4.7m Easy |

Session 1 - 1 -2 mile warm up, 24 ,18,12, 6 min @ 8 min pace (3 min rec) , 1-2 miles cool down
    Session 2 - 1-2 mile warm up, 10x2 min @7.30 1 min rec, 1-2 mile cool down

Monday 27th – Rest planned

Tuesday 28th – 5.2m Easy.
    Treadmill run to see how the leg was. late enough starting this, and needed to see how the leg was. It wasn't too bad but still letting me know it wasn't happy. I had .7 of a mile run, when i realised the watch hadn't started!!

Total 5.21m in 52.20.

Wednesday 29th & Thursday 30th - unplanned rest

Went for Sport massage on Wednesday evening and it was painful to say the least. :eek:
    He found the problem was my TFL (tensor fasciae latae). This muscle is related to the glute and is continuous with the IT Band so he worked on that and then flushed out the rest of the legs. He stuck me back together with the magic tape from hip to knee on my right leg!!:D

The IT Band improved straight away but the Glutes were very tender & sore so rested on Thur to allow healing.

Fri 1st December - Easy run

I had a 55 minute gap between the school pickup and having to go for the eldest ones bus pick up. Youngest was away on a play date and my son had a mate there to keep him company so out i went..... :eek:
    Could still feel where he worked on the Glute but the ITB was fine. However at 4 miles I got a pain in the front of my knee, which only lasted a few minutes but then it moved to the back of the knee, again only for a few minutes but then the IT band started to trouble me. I made it home but it was very sore by the time i finished. Instruction from Coach was rest or very short easy runs for remainder of weekend.

Total 5.12m in 49.46 @9.43

I chose to rest Saturday as it was still niggly so cleaned my house instead!!(I'd rather be running!!:eek:)

Sunday 3rd - Easy Run

Headed to Ardee to collect a parcel and had my gear on to do a short run but it was lashing when I got there and i just didn't feel like it so i went home.
    Got home 8 miles away and there was no rain and it was dry so decided I'd just do a short one. Once I got going it was lovely!! Headed out the usual back roads and leg held up. Went a little further than i should have but wanted to round up mileage for the week!!:D

Total 4.72 in 47.47 @ 10.08

WTD: 15.05m
    MTD: November: 129.90m
    December: 9.84m
    YTD: 1357.20m

Dam IT band mine is bothering me as well my knee was quite sore after the half on the weekend have not run all week & feel a little uptight :cool:

Week 5/14 for Donedea 50k - 4th - 10th Dec

Plan| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 1 |5m Easy| Rest| Session 2 | 14m easy|
    Actual| Rest|5m easy| Session 1| Rest|5m easy| Session 2|15m |

Session 1 - warm up, 5x3 min @ 7.45 pace (75 sec), 3 min break, 4x3 min @ 7.30 (90 sec) cooldown
    Session 2 - 15 min jog 45 min progression (20 min @ 8.45, 15 min @ 8.15. 10 min @ 8 min pace) 15 min cooldown

Monday 4th – Rest planned

Tuesday 5th – 5.2m Easy. treadmill.

9.30pm by the time I got to do this on the treadmill. watched an episode of Person of Interest!! Thankfully we are finished Tuesday workshop in Kells now until after Christmas

9.21, 9.54, 9.39, 9.50, 9.44, 9.46
    Total 5.21m in 50.29 @ 9.42

Wednesday 6th Dec - Session 1
    warm up, 5x3 min @ 7.45 pace (75 sec), 3 min break, 4x3 min @ 7.30 (90 sec) cooldown

Working at home today so headed out at lunchtime.
    Love these type of sessions as it keeps everything interesting. A usual I had the session set to the watch so just run and listen for the beeps...I alsway set the wu & cd as " until Lap button pressed" and i decided after i passed a busy junction to start into the session.

The first 4 went fine but once i turned it was straight into a headwind and on the 5th rep there was a long row of lorries coming against me and the wet spray & wind from the lorries along with the headwind caused me to push a little too hard and it came in way too fast. The next 4 reps were better but the road was very busy and it was pretty cold and damp....I was covered in wet spray by the time i finished!!!

Happy overall as the leg behaved and there was no after effects on the leg...

wu - 9.31, 9.17(.78)
    Target 7.45 - 7.39, 7.39, 7.37, 7.40, 7.09
    Target 7.30 - 7.31, 7.27, 7.28, 7.30, 7.31
    cd, 9.44, 9.46(.78)

Total 8.50m in 1.16.15 @ 8.55

Fri 8th December - Easy run
    Wednesdays session didn't affect the leg until Thursday and it wasn't great on Thursday or Friday morning so rested it, but by lunchtime on Friday it was fine so headed off for a run.

It was Baltic out and despite hat, gloves, buff and a base layer under my long sleeved tshirt, I was frozen and my ass was particularly cold. I had my flipbelt on as the phone was in it, so I pulled it lower and used it to heat the glues and i managed to move a bit better......

Total 5.12m in 49.46 @9.43

Saturday 9th Dec - Session 2
    15 min jog 45 min progression (20 min @ 8.45, 15 min @ 8.15. 10 min @ 8 min pace) 15 min cooldown

I had got the ok from Coach to swap LR to Saturday as i was meeting 5 others from the club to get it done. Headed off at 8.45am but as i turned from the main road to the smaller back roads they were very slippy with a lot of icy patches so i turned at the next village and headed home. :o I'm a bit of a scardy cat and was afraid i'd fall:o !!!Turns out the roads were too bad to run on for the other too.

So decided I'd head out a bit later myself however it didn't happen as hubby had to go to work and i was awaiting a delivery of my Christmas present to myself....new washing machine. Typical it didn't arrive until near 5pm, last delivery of the day.

Hit the treadmill after making dinner for the others, decided I'd leave mine until later as Fajitas don't sit well during sessions!!!:eek:

I thought his session looked handy on paper but it wasn't. The paces feel so much fast on the treadmill. I did the 15mins warmup and first 20 mins section and then had to stop the treadmill to get a towel as i was sweating so much. :eek:
    Reset the treadmill as knew i wouldn't get the whole session in before the auto shutdown at 59 mins.... Managed to watch the end of my episode of Person of interest and then another full one....... again no issue with the leg thankfully during the run, however it was fairly sore later on and during the night. took an anti inflammatory tablet and it settled down.

wu 15 mins 1.53 @ 9.50
    20 mins = 2.31miles @8.40
    15 mins = 1.82 m @ 8.15
    10 mins - 1.25 @ 8.00
    cd - 1.6 @ 9.50
    Total 8.50m in 1.15.23 @ 8.54

Sunday 10th December - Easy run

Waited for the youngest one to be collected for a birthday party and then as I got ready to go , some very heavy snow showers started to fall and i had visions of it continuing for the day. Eventually it stopped and off I headed out the usual back roads with a very rough route in mind.

Enjoyed the run immensely and although I found the first few mile were slow as i warmed up I though i was a little overdressed but when i turned out onto the main road i wasn't of that opinion anymore. I had short leggings under my long ones:D so no cold ass!!!, hat, buff, gloves, base layer, long sleeved t-shirt and a high vis running jacket!!!:D:D Definitely wasn't as cold as Friday but think i was better dressed.:D Took the gloves off at 4miles but put them back on again as the cold started to affect them....

Today was the first time I had music with me and definitely didn't notice the miles going by, its a bit like having someone with you. I've never brought music before as the roads are narrow and busy but I just had one earbud in, on a low volume and really enjoyed the run, rounded it up to 15m.

10.19, 10.18, 9.55, 10.01, 9.40, 10.03, 9.48, 9.47, 9.40, 9.38, 9.33, 9.41, 9.34, 9.30, 9.29

Total 15.07m in 2.27 @ 9.48

WTD: 42.84m
    MTD: 52.68m
    YTD: 1415.09m

you got 15 miles!! - I'm still relegated to 12, kinda thankful of that today though!!

• Advertisement

you got 15 miles!! - I'm still relegated to 12, kinda thankful of that today though!!

Actually i got 14m and I missed 18 last week, but I'm doing Donadea in about 7 weeks!!!!!:eek:

Younganne wrote: »
    Actually i got 14m and I missed 18 last week, but I'm doing Donadea in about 7 weeks!!!!!:eek:

oh - JHC.

Thats Jesus H Christ.

Best of luck with that...................looks for the door......:rolleyes:

Week 6/14 for Donedea 50k - 11th - 17th Dec

The plan went out the window this week as the kids snotterfest hit me full on!!:eek:

Though I'd manage a run on Fri or Sat but had a terrible headache that took 2 day sot clear and so just wasn't in the mood.

Sunday 17th December

I had arrange to meet a couple of Ladies in Navan this morning and only for they were using me to get them back out running after injury, I'd have cancelled.
    Anyway met them 9am and off we set with no route planned but there's plenty of route to choose from. We set off nice and easy and I never looked at the watch at all throughout the run and really enjoyed it.

at about 6m, one of them was struggling so we slowed it down a bit and she found her groove.

Left them at 11 miles and i continue on for a few more. Leg started to get sore so decided id leave it at 14 but ended up with 15.2m in total....changed and then set off home and next thing i heard the watch beeping for a lap and discovered that i had hit the watch back on and it had recorded 16.1m.

10.00, 9.55, 10.13, 10.14, 9.56, 10.24, 10.25, 10.13, 10.24, 10.10, 10.37, 9.44, 10.17, 9.45, 9.40,

Total 15.2 m in approx 2hr 30mins

WTD: 15.20
    MTD: 67.88m
    YTD: 1430.29m

Week 7/14 for Donedea 50k - 18th - 24th Dec

Plan| Rest| 5m Easy| Session 1 |5m Easy| Rest| 6m Easy & S&C | 15m easy|
    Actual| 5m Easy|Rest| 6m Easy| Session 1|rest| 3m easy|15m |

Session 1 - 1-2 mile warm up, 24 ,18, 12, 6 min @ 8 min pace (3 min rec) , 1-2 miles cooldown

Monday 18th – 5m easy
    I had my week planned out so that i wouldn't have to run on Christmas eve but best laid plans and sick children don't go together.

What sort of a genius doesn't run for a week and then runs 15m and not expect to have DOMS!!!!

Monday I had very bad DOMS and at my sports massage he worked on my IT/hip problem as its still giving hassle and lightly flushed out the legs, while telling me I should Know better!!!!:o
    Got out for this at lunchtime in work, first run in ages in the Park and kept it all nice & slow.

10.04, 10.04, 10.05, 10.02, 10.01
    5.12 m @ 10.03 in 51.29

Tuesday 19th – Rest

Wednesday 20th Dec - 6m Easy

Headed to Ardee to collect a parcel and get this run done..
    Frightened the life out of myself when i found myself on a very deserted path in the middle of a field. Came across a big sign so found out its called The Railway walk and when i saw that I remembered reading about a woman being attacked in daylight on this. :eek:
    Wasn't sure whether to turn back or keep going as it was well lit up so decided to push on but i was a bit uneasy!!!! There was a big gang of lads near the end but no issues with them. Breathed a sigh of relief when i came back out onto the roads oF Ardee. Lets just say i wont be going that way again, alone!!!:o

9.57, 9.35, 9.56, 9.53, 9.37, 9.46, 9.50(.60)
    Total 6.60 in 1.04.40 @ 9.48

Thur 21st December - Session

Session 1 - 1-2 mile warm up, 24 ,18, 12, 6 min @ 8 min pace (3 min rec) , 1-2 miles cooldown

When i saw the session the first week it appeared I though the 24min at the start was a misprint as i had seen some of the other lads doing this session but without the 24 mins, but I wasn't running that week so I never checked. However when it appear the same again 2 weeks later i knew it was not a mistake, but i was sick that week so didn't get to do it again. 3rd week I felt i needed to do this to get rid of it!!!:eek:

So dropped the eldest to school and headed to Blackwater park to parkup and get going, i had my route planned out but when i started running I need the toilet so had to head to the shopping centre instead to use the facilities. No route planned then but i had forgotten to put my hi-vis vest on so was confined to the town where there were footpaths as i wouldn't go out on the road as it was a dull, wet and misty morning.!!
    Didn't enjoy this from start to finish at all. I know now why i don't run in the morning as it takes me awhile to get going. The 24 min rep started off great but then I had to stop for the Tara Mines train to go by on the Commons road and by the time I got around to the Trim road it had just passed through and there was another going in the opposite direction. I couldn't get back into the grove after either of these stops.
    the 18 min rep started off badly but then i got into my stride and this was grand. The 12 min was practically all uphill so could hit the target at all but was happy i dodnt stop as i was so tempted to. The 6 mins was fine because it was, well only 6 mins!!!:D
    the 2 mile cool down was 2 laps of the park and my quads were in ribbons but i was determined to finish it out....

wu - 9.48, 9.22

24 mins = 8.16, 7.59, 7.58(.97) = 2.97m @ 8.05
    18 mins = 8.00, 7.57, 7.53(.26) = 2.26m @ 7.57
    12 mins = 8.08, 8.04(.48) = 1.48m @ 8.06
    6 mins = 8.01(.75) = .75 m @ 8.01

cd - 10.09, 10.01, 9.29(.26)

Total 12.50m in 1:51 @ 8.53

Friday 22nd - Rest

Saturday 23rd Dec - Easy run Treadmill

Had 30 min opportunity to do this before going to collect the eldest from a party in Navan. I wasn't going to bother but decided 3m was better than nothing!

9.30, 9.31, 9.30 9.22(.16)
    Total 3.16m in 30:01 @ 9.30

Sunday 24th Dec - 15m Easy Run

Had planned to meet a few in Navan in the morning but was knackered so went back to bed for a lie in. Had a few errands to do and few jobs in the house and it was after 1pm when i got out to do this.

From the getgo it was another run I didn't enjoy and i was going to cut it short at every mile, but eventually settled into it and got finished. The last 3 miles my legs were in bits and it was a real slog..... legs have been in bits every since too!!!! Very windy in places and horrible misty rain but not cold at all....

9.51, 10.06, 9.48, 9.36, 9.44, 9.58, 9.42, 9.53, 9.51, 9.58, 9.44, 9.57, 10.08, 9.52, 9.55, 9.46(.21)
    Total 15.21m in 2:30:03 @ 9.52

WTD: 42.59m
    MTD: 110.47m
    YTD: 1472.88m

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY RUNNING FRIENDS.
    HOPE SANTA IS GOOD TO YOU ALL.
    WISHING YOU ALL EVERY HEALTH & HAPPINESS FOR CHRISTMAS.

Well things have not really being going to plan since the last update on the run on Christmas Eve.:mad:

Lets just say 2017 limped home to close off with 1481.2m and I couldn't even round it up to 1500m.

Christmas day was a difficult day with a lot of pain in my hip & leg and it has been coming and going since then. I didn't get much running in with frosty weather(I don't run in the frost), 2 Christmas funerals and 4 Birthday in our house, the rest was actually doing me good as when I wasn't running the pain was less noticeable. I have no pain when running but its after the runs that I feel it and night time is the worst when I'm trying to sleep!!

Anyway, I was very diligent with doing my daily exercise from the PT and the S & C from Coach and I could notice the difference. I was almost pain free.

Headed out last Saturday for an easy run and that night the pain was back. Put it down to volume, with it being low over the previous few weeks so headed out on Sunday for 10.6m to bring weekly total to 20m, as London training was starting on Monday and with only 15 weeks to go, I needed to get back into long runs and sessions. No issues and finished out at 12m for a weekly total of 21.4 and ready to go back into proper training next week.

Sunday night was not good and at one stage it crossed my mind that the pain was similar to Sciatica, so checked out the details of Sciatica(at 1.30am, well I couldn't sleep anyway!!) and it mentioned that it is very similar to Piriformis syndrome.

Aha so that's the issue, seeing as I had piriformis issue a few months back, so booked in for massage for Tuesday might.
    No run Tuesday as ended up with migraine Tuesday morning so had to take day off and head back to bed. Went for massage and was looking forward to it, to get rid of the pain but he wouldn't treat me. My pelvis is internally rotated and all the exercises and running has been making it worse so I'm on the Bench, again!!
    I've to go to the Osteopath before he will treat me again and get the pelvis sorted and we'll take it from there. Appointment booked for tomorrow!!

So Donadea 50k is off the cards and thankfully I went with the Gut feeling and deferred my spot on the eve of New Years eve so that will be in the plan for 2019.

London Marathon is 14 weeks on Sunday so I will make a decision on that in a few weeks when I see how this issues pans out....no point in doing it just for the sake of doing it if I'm not at full race fitness.

So summary of running for last 3 weeks - this is short:

Week 25th - 31st December

Tuesday 26th Easy run 5.2m @ 9.52
    Sunday 31st December - 3.1m @ 9.36

Week 1st - 7th January 2018

Mon Jan 1st - a short Birthday trot as I always run on my Birthday to get the New ~Year off to a great start!!!
    3.2m @ 9.42

The 5k a day plan for January only lasted 1 day!!:o

Saturday 6th Jan - 6.2m @ 9.27 felt great on this run and could have kept going!!!

Sunday 7th Jan 1205 @ 9.41 was tired by end of this and had terrible DOMS to go along with the leg pain on Monday...

No Running this week as ordered!!

Not the start to a New Year I was hoping for but in the grand scheme of things its not the worst that could happen and I will bounce back no doubt!!:D

Bounce back you will, sorry to read about the injury woes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to hear you're not running Donadea, but from here it seems like you've made the right decision.

Best of luck with the recovery. Hopefully the London Marathon will bring a happy ending to this chapter of the log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I had been meaning to ask you if all was okay as your strava was abnormally quiet. Really sorry to hear about all that Anne, sounds very unpleasant but fingers crossed now you have a diagnosis you can get it sorted quickly. At least you can defer both Donadea and London, no point in putting your body under more stress if you don't need to.

Recover well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sorry to hear that, but hope you're up and running pain free soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Sorry to hear about your injuries Anne. Hopefully you will still be able to run London. The main thing is to get yourself restored to full health which I hope will be soon. Take care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Ah feck Anne, sorry to hear how that's been going for you. I was only actually reading yours and Murph's Donadea 50K race reports from last year yesterday. Sorry that you won't make it this year, hopefully you're not benched for too long and that London might still be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sorry to hear about the injuries. Fingers crossed between the osteo and physio, you'll be back on the road to London shortly.

I also was wondering how you have been, I enjoy your log so sorry to hear about your hip I hope its sorted quickly and your back out enjoying running again pain free

Sorry to hear that - its terrible when you cant run and you really enjoyed it.
    You had a great year last year - no doubt you'll bounce back stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Ah Anne - so sorry to hear the injury news. Great to see you getting dug into recovery as soon as. Strange but I take your Strava feed for granted and like AGYR I had wondered how things were. Do take care and do get better. Glad to see that you have protected your Donadea and London interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sorry to hear that. Good luck for the appointment tomorrow, I hope you're not on the bench too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Aarrghhh I feel your pain! So disappointing for you. Hope you heal quickly.

P.S Don't be me. Rest. Rest. Rest :D

Thank you all for the kind words. Here's hoping it only a short temporary set back!!

So the PT was spot on and I have a posterior rotated pelvis. This was more that likely cause by a slip or fall or misplaced footing at some stage. I have a vague recollection of missing a step a few weeks back and warning others to "Mind the Step" after they laughed!!!!

Anyway the good news is, the fact that I could continue to run on it means its not too serious. No running for another week and another appointment at the end of the week will be assessment time. I have a very high pain threshold and therefor was able to keep running until the pain became unbearable.

He thinks the body could do with a good break after he found out that I have gone from training for Dublin marathon in 2015 (which was a DNS due to calf problems) straight into Rotterdam marathon 2016, to DCM 2016, to Donadea 50k in 2017 to DCM 2017 to Donadea 2018 (which will be DNS) with all the races in between...so when he put it like that I was tired just listening to him!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway its walking/cross trainer or bike or just rest until Thursday night.
    Friday after treatment I had a bad headache straight away that eased with pain relief but returned later that evening so just vegged for the evening feeling sorry for myself!!:o

Saturday morning and after getting up and about(which takes a little time) I was not as sore as I expected to be after the treatment on Friday, so at lunchtime I headed out for a brisk walk. Decided on 30 mins but it was such a lovely day I did 60 mins, there was lots of stopping and taking with neighbours and a hunting partying, with their dogs. 4.1miles in 60 mins

Body was a little tired from using dormant muscles but none of the usual pain after running that evening which was a positive. Sunday again feeling much better and headed out for a shorter walk. Different day and just after I headed out late enough it started to rain, that horrible icy rain and the wind was very strong, got dark too so turned and headed for home. 2.6m in 36 mins

And this morning was the first morning in weeks that I had no pain or stiffness in my back when I got up. Now I have a few aches in my leg muscles but that just from lack of use so very happy with the progress over the weekend.

S&C can resume this evening so plan today & Wednesday for that, with walks or cross trainer tomorrow, Wednesday & Thur before heading back to Osteopath on Thursday evening.

I must do a look back at 2017 later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Bummer Anne just catching up here you mind yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ah no Anne, sorry to hear you are on the injury bench :-( Mind yourself and hopefully you'll be fixed asap :)

Another week with no running - 15th - 21st January

So another week gone and another week of frustration. No walk Monday as I was told to mimic my running schedule so resting Monday is my normal routine. did my Strength & conditioning exercises that Coach has given me, 7 exercises x 3 rounds.

Tuesday, planned a walk in Kells while waiting for my daughter to finish her workshop but the snow was too heavy and the paths were completely covered so didn't want to risk a fall, so another rest day.

Body was sore on Wednesday so headed out for a walk at lunchtime when the snow had melted away. It was bitterly cold so no hanging around.
    3.17m in 46 mins, very cold.

Thursday back to the osteopath and the body has improved greatly but all the different problems are raising their heads. I have had a low level headache since Tuesday a week earlier so he worked on my neck and it was extremely tight, so he released a lot of the tension in my neck. Also the adductor was worked on and OMG the pain was almost unbearable.....blooming elbow into a muscle is not nice!!:eek:

Not there yet but getting there, back next week and another week of no running and max 30 mins in the walking, got a slap on the wrist for the 60 minutes last Saturday:eek:

If I am completely pain free this week I can add some intervals into my walking....got excited until he said 30 secs slow jog with 5 mins recovery!!!:rolleyes:, back on Thursday for another torture session.

Rested Friday as instructed to allow the muscles to heal.

Saturday got out after returning from shopping before I got warm and comfortable at home. another bitterly cold & wet day but thankfully I only had a misty rain for my walk...2.5m in 34 mins
    Followed up with the S&C session, had some pain in the evening in my right leg and a bad nights sleep with pain in my left hip, feels like I'm back at the start again.

Sunday headed out again while there was a break in the rain, took it a lot easier in this walk and as I had company it was easier to do. The rain returned as we turned for home with 1mile to go. 2m in 32 minutes.
    I had the pain in my right leg again throughout the evening!!!

Here's hoping for a better week!! Patience is a virtue!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement