Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But its cold outside

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of luck with your recover A, Hope it all works you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Just catching up Anne glad you’ve at least got a diagnosis keep the faith and good luck with rehab. Started S&C myself last week and I ache in muscles I never knew I had. Think it’s quiet common for us runners to neglect the core strength hoping it’s going to help with all my recent niggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Short update

Finally pain free this week as the Physio works her magic using Myofascial release. I was a bit sceptical as I like a "hands on approach" with massage but she has done 4 sessions and each one I can feel the difference in my body.

I did my first Yoga class yesterday and OMG I'm so inflexible,:eek::eek: I knew I had issues but this brought them to the forefront. I have a gym program which I am working away on and walking every day so rehab is in full process, Still no running allowed but I'm ok with that, for the moment as its for the greater good,;);) and I can walk anytime as I always have one pair of runners in the car and I can walk on a full stomach so its a lot easier to fit in than the running is. I walk fast enough and walked Navan parkrun last Saturday while my 9 year old jogged and did it in 39.37.

I'm back training girls football after 2 years off as they had none to train the U10 and as my youngest is on that team, I couldn't let it go without doing my bit, so currently 4 nights and all weekend tied up with GAA/LGFA and soccer, so no time for running anyway!!!!:eek::eek:

The weight issue got a bit out of hand:eek:, but I'm back in the correct frame of mind and am working away on it!!

Sorry I haven't kept up with all the logs but Strava is keeping me going for now and I hope to catch up over the next few weeks.

Keep running everyone and enjoy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good to hear the update, you sound like you're making progress and feeling positive which is great.

Fair play on the LGFA trainer stuff too. Do U10 girls train 4 times a week or do you train other age groups? You sound very committed, fair play.

ariana` wrote: »
    Good to hear the update, you sound like you're making progress and feeling positive which is great.

Fair play on the LGFA trainer stuff too. Do U10 girls train 4 times a week or do you train other age groups? You sound very committed, fair play.

We train one night a week and then there is a match every week but my older daughter plays u16, my son u14 Gaa and u13 soccer and the 9 year old play U10 & U12 girls & U12 mixed.
    OH is self-employed and usually is late home so I've all the joy!!:D:D

• Advertisement

Younganne wrote: »
    We train one night a week and then there is a match every week but my older daughter plays u16, my son u14 Gaa and u13 soccer and the 9 year old play U10 & U12 girls & U12 mixed.
    OH is self-employed and usually is late home so I've all the joy!!:D:D

OMG sounds like a lot, fair play to you. I have U6 football and I've an U8 who trains U10 but gets called up to field a team for U8 matches. And he plays U9 soccer too. But that's it.

The third is thankfully U3 and he's not allowed to grow up any more :pac:

It's great that they are all healthy and active but my God i don't know how you find time for it all and mostly on your own too, in fairness my OH does a lot of the GAA stuff, he trains U6 and gaa juv sec anyhow but with a 2 yr it does mean that i'm still tied up when he's gone...

Anyhow, sorry for the OTT. Best of luck with the continued recovery x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Short update

I walk fast enough and walked Navan parkrun last Saturday while my 9 year old jogged and did it in 39.37.

Janey, not a million miles away from my easy running pace, so :o

Glad to see you so positive. Good luck with the rehab.

Things are ticking along nicely and I'm hopeful of being allowed throw in an odd run from my next physio session next Monday, unless she's just stringing me along from appointment to appointment to keep me quite:eek::eek:

I'm keeping busy with walking 4 -5 times per week, gym mostly 3 times and got out for my first cycle over the weekend.:D
    Missed yoga last week and there was none yesterday with the BH but will do some at home on one evening.

Weight is going in the right direction with 9lbs off in the last 4 weeks so still a bit to go, but I'm in the right zone and very focused. The fact that I have my sons confirmation next week and going on holidays in 7 weeks and not a stitch of clothes to fit is also great motivation:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Enjoy the running everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Great to read your positive post Anne. Well done on your weight loss, it's so hard to lose and so easy to put it back on!

Hopefully you will be allowed to run soon.

1st June :eek::eek::eek:

So a short update. I came out of my incognito Stava status a month ago as I was hopeful of a return to running. however this has not gone to plan. My last ohysio appointment was almost 3 weeks ago and she said as I was painfree I could add some easy running it.

So the next evening `(15th May) I found myself at my sons Soccer match with 40 mins to kick off and a huge set of pitches in a field behind where his match was going to take place and I got the urge for a run around so I obliged and did 1/2 mile walking 1/2 mile running until the match kicked off. My little sidekick was beside me but she wasn't in the running mood so she just walked around the pitches. really enjoyed the run even though the grass was a little long so tough going bu the body held up with no issues.

Feeling confident 2 days later (17th May) during my 4m walk I ran 2.5m of this again with no issue while running. I got no more running/waling/gym work in over the weekend then as I had my sons confirmation, and loads of other things on the same weekend and over the weekend I started to notice small pains in my hip and leg at different times, not bad but enough for me to notice them.
    Back to work and into the gym and it was like starting all over again. decided that week (23rd May ) to try a test again and see how things were holding up, 3.3m walk with 2.5m running. no major problems but jus the same niggly pains.

Continued the rest of the week and weekend with the gym, walking and a bike ride. Monday evening after the girls football training and I had no Laura with me as she was away playing a match with the mixed team, so before locking up I decided to walk a few laps of the pitch and sur ethen I decided to run a bit. No issues again and out of 4m I ran total of 3 (3 x 1m) and felt good. without looking at a watch I ran the 3 miles at 9.55, 9.56 & 9.55 so lovely and consistent

Since then, there has been no increase in pain but I'm still aware of it so no more running for now and I know the physio will tell me to stop so this comeback is not looking imminent:eek:

I have taken myself off the Dublin Marathon Pacers panel and so I don't have to worry about trying to get back fit for it so no pressure to get back running until the body is ready.

Weigh loss is still happening but at a slower pace but food intake is healthy & good so that's all I can do for now.

Happy running guys.:D
    Going incognito again methinks

• Advertisement

Hi all, been a while since I was on here and lots of you are well into marathon training, not one bit jealous, honestly!!!;);)

Well I’m back doing a small amount of running and the sciatica pain is very rare now but can flare up now & again. My hips, especially my right hip, are my main concern now and I’ve been given exercises by physio to build the strength up in them. Both hips are very tight and its making the exercise very difficult but I need to be more disciplined in doing them and this will help with the difficulty. I feel like a 90 yr old some mornings trying to get out & about.

I haven’t managed to get to the gym since my holidays few weeks ago but I’m hoping to get back into the habit next week.

Since my holiday, I’ve gotten into a bit of a rut and got into a bad cycle of eating crap, feeling like crap so eating more crap for the sugar boost, hence the weight & motivation has suffered, but this week has seen a new mind-set and I’m back eating better and exercising more. Physio has given be the go ahead to increase the distances slowly after 5m if there is no negative reaction to the 5m runs

Think its time to get back logging to try and keep me on the straight and narrow
    Plans for this month:
    • to get 3 - 4 runs a week with the LR!! increasing from 5m :eek::eek: to 10k next week for the Rock & Roll (as I'm switching down from the half) and adding 1 m per week to see if the body holds up
    • Our club run Rathkenny AC 5k on Friday 17th - never run it before as always working at it but this year going to toddle around.
    • get back to the gym at least 2 per week
    • do my exercise and get this body more flexible
    • lose some weight and get back into proper eating habits.
    • get back logging so easy to lose touch with whats happening when not logging and reading logs.
    Happy running to you all and happy marathon training to those who are!!

Great to see you posting again Anne. Good luck with your August plan, sounds like a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

So good to see you back logging :)

hmmm best laid plans. . . and all that.

Plan for August has now become Plan for September.:eek:

having a few issues with the Sciatica again which is flaring up after a lot of walking or standing. Physio last night and everything is all caught up again and I could definitely feel it during treatment.

will take the runs off the road and back to the grass and see if things improve!!

Plans for this month:

• to get 3 - 4 short runs a week
    • get back to the gym at least 2 per week - back to normal working hours next week 6am - 2pm so should get back to gym ok:o
    • do my exercise and get this body more flexible, hope to start Pilates
    • lose some weight and get back into proper eating habits. ahem on a go slow at the moment!!!:eek:
    • get back logging so easy to lose touch with what's happening when not logging and reading logs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Keep at it YA you'll get there.

You really do need to focus hard on the exercises and S&C stuff though.

Best of luck with it

TbL

I hope it all works out keep logging though :) I was only thinking of you today when out walking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

We never arranged for that trip on the bikes! We must do that soon :). Hopefully with a bit more rehab you can get back on track.

hmmm best laid plans. . . and all that.

Plan for August has now become Plan for September.:eek:

having a few issues with the Sciatica again which is flaring up after a lot of walking or standing. Physio last night and everything is all caught up again and I could definitely feel it during treatment.

will take the runs off the road and back to the grass and see if things improve!!

Plans for this month:

• to get 3 - 4 short runs a week
    • get back to the gym at least 2 per week - back to normal working hours next week 6am - 2pm so should get back to gym ok:o
    • do my exercise and get this body more flexible, hope to start Pilates
    • lose some weight and get back into proper eating habits. ahem on a go slow at the moment!!!:eek:
    • get back logging so easy to lose touch with what's happening when not logging and reading logs.

Ahem Life is just so busy at the moment that the plan above hasn't quite gone to plan:o:o:o

However I have got back to regular running and am now back under the Supervision of the excellent Coach.

Week 1 just completed fully, or so I though until last night when I realise I forgot some pickups in my "long Run"

Last Sunday 16th I ran my longest run this year at 8 m and this week I did my first mini session in a while and was surprised with the paces.

Last few weeks of Running

Week of Aug 27 - 2 Sept - 3 runs, 3.2m, 3.1m 7m
    Week of Sept 3rd - Sept 9th - 4 runs, 3.1m, 4m, 7.1m, 4.5m
    Week of Sept 10 - Sept 16th - 2 runs, 5.0m, 8.1m
    Week of Sept 17th - 23rd - 4 runs, 3.2,m 3.3,( including 4 x 1 min hard off 2 mins recovery (6.42, 6.54, 6.28, 6.34)), 3.3m, 7.2m

So I'm very happy with how progress is going and thankfully the body is holding up very well. I have been doing my exercise a lot more regularly and the hip issue has not bothered me in the past few weeks so its definitely proof its needed and encouragement to keep it going.

I still haven't managed the gym and the eating is still not great but there are little improvements all the time. Think I'm stuck with this extra stone I'm carrying for now!!!

Life is just so busy with work, 3 different school pickups after work and the girls football training Mondays and matches another evening that I really am just fitting it in where I can. I hope work quietens down a bit so I can get back to the gym and doing my runs at lunchtime as its getting so dark now that I cant really get out on the roads at home!!

Slowly it will all come together and hopefully that's the end of the disc issue !!

I've entered Longwood 10k on 21st Oct and Annagassan 10k on 17th November
    Both of these were PBs for me last year with Longwood @ 47.15 and then Annagassan @ 46.58. If I get under 55 this year id be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's really great news Anne, you'll be back where you were in no time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good to see the progress.

It can be frustratingly slow but keep chipping away and it’ll come good

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff, nice to see things happening for you. Hopefully all goes well for you now.

So happy for you :) and looking forward to seeing you get back to where you were

Time for an update and review!!

It's been a while and just for my own records I will continue where I left off!!

Sept 24 – 30th - 4 runs - 3.3m, 4.0(120, 90, 60, 30 @ hard off 60 sec), 3.24, 7.01(inc 4 x 30 sec p/u)

Oct 1st – 7th – 3 runs - 3.6m, 3.1m, 4.2 including Meath Novice Cross Country Race – 30/33
    I found this very tough, sheer lack of fitness. Wind, hills and heat made for a strange combination. Started off at the back and finished a few from the back but looking at the results 3 others that were behind me must not have finished as they are not in the results. I started off cautiously and after the first lap, is settled in a bit and passed 6 coming around into the second lap, but 3 of them came back at me by the end of the race as lap 3 was pure slogfest for me. I will definitely return when the fitness has improved a bit!!

Week 8th – 14th - 4 runs - 3.2m, 5.3(1m @ 9.00, 3mins easy, 120, 90, 60, 30 @ hard off 60 sec,) 3.1m, 7.3m(4 x 30 sec p/u)

Week 15th – 21st – 2 runs - 3.2m, 8m including Longwood 10k(53.42)
    Happy with the effort of this, started off with first 2 miles @ 8.23 but pace was a little too hot to handle and breathing was very ragged(something I’m finding with any change in pace atm) eased back to a more comfortable pace and finished out the run. 8.23, 8.23, 8.49, 8.44, 8.47, 8.40, 7.57(.25m) 53.42

Week 22nd – 28th - 3 runs - 3.2m, 3.2m, 5.3m (1m @ 9.00, 3mins easy, 120, 90, 60, 30 @ hard off 60 sec,)

Week 29th – 4th Nov – 4 runs - 7.3m (4 x 30 sec p/u)(marathon supporting and back was sore after standing so pushed this run out to B/H Monday)
    3.1m, 5.6m (1m @ 9.00, 3mins easy, 2 x 2mins @ 7.30 off 60 sec, 800m @ 9, 2 mins easy, 4 x 1 min @ 7.30 off 60 ) 3.3m

Week 5th – 11th Nov - 4 runs -3.2m, 5.6m (1m @ 9.00, 3mins easy, 4 x 1 min @ 7.30 off 60, 800m @ 9, 2 mins easy, 2 x 2mins @ 7.30 off 60 sec) 7.3m(4 x 30 sec p/u), 4.3m

Week 12th – 18th Nov – 3 runs - 3.2m, 3.2,m 7.2 inc Annagassan 10k (52.51)
    This was much more controlled than Longwood 5 weeks ago. started off easy chatting and having the crack and then pushed on in the second half of the race.
    8.35(downhill), 8.43, 8.55(uphill), 8.29, 8.24, 8.01,7.17(.24)
    My 10k is from this course last year 46.58 so plenty of work to do, but this is where I’m at, at the moment so will work with that.

Week 19th – 25th Nov – 4 runs – 3.2m, 5.2 (1m @ 9.00, 3 mins easy, 4, 3, 2, 1, mins @ 7.30 off 75 sec) 3.1m, 7.6m (6 x 30 sec p/u). followed by gym workout, new program in a local gym this week

Week 26th – 2nd Dec – 5 runs - 3.1m, 3.2 followed by gym workout, 5m( inc 1m @ 9.00, 3 mins easy, 4, 3, 2, 1, mins @ 7.30 off 75 sec), 7m progression run, 3.1m

Week 3rd Dec – 9th Dec – 5 runs - 3.2m, 5.1m (10 x 90 @ 7.30, 5 off 90 sec , 5 of 60 sec), 3.2m, 3.1 - progression run, 7.1m

Week 10th – 17th Dec – 4 runs - 3.2m, 4.12 including Garda AC 5k Turkey Trot Handicap race
    bit of fun this, It was very windy but the ran stopped for the duration of the race.
    I started 4.30 minutes after clock and the last runner, The great Linda Byrne, started 8.30 minutes after me and was tearing round the course (2 laps of the 15 Acres) closing in all the time and passing all she came alongside. With a battle for the line I managed to hold her off and she finished 4 seconds behind me with a 5k time of 17.49 while I had 25.45 for the 1st place win!! Talking about feeling hunted!!! :eek: 8.25, 8.22, 8.08, 7.30(.12),
    3.1m, 7m

I’ve been having an issue with my left foot (pain in the base of my foot in the heel) for the past few weeks and on 11th November I stood for 5 hours at football finals doing traffic management and it was really sore after that and just has not got any better.
    I was assuming plantar fasciitis as it’s very sore first thing in the morning and after sitting for a while. Mentioned it to the Physio last week but on inspection she told me it was the subtalar joint in my foot. I also have been having left calf issues so it’s all connected. She did her myofascial release to relieve the issue and it was fine, for 2 days.

After the race on Thursday it was ok but by the time I drove home I was in agony. Took some pain relief and iced it and it was ok on the next run which was on the treadmill in the gym. Did my 7m on Saturday in Navan before and including parkrun and again when I got home it was really sore again, so much so that I was limping badly on it. Had to bring kids Christmas shopping Saturday afternoon and by evening time it was unbearable.

I haven’t run since and Coach recommended the cross trainer in the gym, however I’ve been sick all week so hopefully the rest will help it heal. It’s tender after driving but I can’t avoid driving so will have to see if break over Christmas helps out.

As for the Disc issue that had me out earlier in the year, I have been doing the Myrtle routine (standing version) at least 3 times a week since September after my easy runs and there has been a huge improvement, so much so that the sciatica pain is very rare. I had a bit this week but think it’s from lack of exercise!!! :eek:
    The gym work is also helping and the program will be reviewed in the New Year. I’ve been sorting the Weight issue and have 10.5 lbs off in the last few weeks but still have at least 10 more to go, but I will get there.:o:o

A big shout out and thanks as always to Coach for getting me back on the road to fitness and its evident from the few races I’ve done that it is returning.

Wishing you all a Very Happy Christmas and all the Best throughout 2019.

So 2019 is my comeback year and I plan on getting back out there running fit & healthy and a skinny me for 3 Marathons, 3 no less!!!

Well that was the plan anyway and so far it has not gone to plan.
    Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot has put a stop to that. I was running a bit, resting a few days but it was not going away so now that PF has been confirmed in my foot, I'm resting it, properly.

I started off the New year with a 4m run on 1st January determined to get a good start and the family were all out walking and i went on ahead for a run. Delighted with my 4 Birthday miles followed up with Standing Myrtl routine.
    My foot was in a bad way that evening so just iced it . Rested for a few days and on Fri went for a short walk with OH & DD in Ardee. Only a short 2m walk but again foot wasn't good. I was rostered to be 30 min pacer @ Navan parkrun on Saturday and again no problem while running but limping and very bad that evening.

On Sunday I went to a Neuromusclar therapist and OMG, she massaged, needled, cupped and used a machine like a sander(cant remember what she said it was) that vibrated all over my body. it was blissful torture and I left there feeling like a new person. My back, hips, glutes and calves all very tight and she relieved a lot of the stress.

I haven't run/walked since and there is a bit improvement in my foot. I was entered into the World Half marathon for both Sat and Sun this week, as i assumed id be in the middle of London Marathon training. So last week i gave Sunday entry to a friend and was planning Saturdays run.
    However I'm not getting a break and ended up at an emergency Dental appointment on Friday for problem with nerves in my face and I have an infection in a nerve that's dying in my tooth. Also with a neighbours wake and funeral on Thur & Fri meant a lot of standing & walking my foot was fairly bad on Friday evening. So as I'm getting sensible in my old age, i didn't do the half.

Was hoping to get back to the gym this week but with one thing and another that didn't happen either. Probably be another few days until antibiotics are gone before I'm able to get back as when the tablets are wearing off, the pain in my head & face is quite bad!!

So Donadea 50k has been deferred again and I can feel London slipping through my fingers, but will not make any decisions for a couple of week to see if PF eases enough to get some decent mileage done and so be it, its only a run afterall.

Here's hoping things start to go in the right direction very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Rolling a tennis ball is great for the PF, painful but so worth it. I got laser treatment on my feet when I was suffering badly with it(your 2012 Novices year), worked a treat for me.

I hope the PF goes and the infection in your tooth !! you are right to rest until it is better :)

Hope you feel much better soon Anne. Mind yourself.

Oh dear A, rough time. I hope you catch a break soon and things pick up for you. You've a great attitude which will stand to you no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Really sorry to hear about your face and foot. Hope the antibiotics have sorted out your face/tooth pain anyway and I think you are under treatment for the pf in foot.

I was just catching up on the last year of your log and am in the L4 club myself, probably just as common as the L5/S1 club but as you've noticed too much exercise, especially running, can aggravate it but unfortunately being lazy is no good either and lots of sitting aggravates it as well. I've found the best thing for me is every (realistically) 4-5/7 mornings a week to do a 20 - 30 minute set of stretches and core exercises, as well as pilates classes during the week. And if I don't do them for a week or two, I am not allowed to run. It's really made a difference, now my visits to the physio are much less frequent and usually when I've hurt something else.

I hope your foot heals quickly so you can get back to running and I look forward to watching 2019 unfold as your come back year! Keep in mind, with that talk of 3 marathons that 1 or 2 marathons would also be pretty impressive and no mean feat with your hectic life. :D

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Rolling a tennis ball is great for the PF, painful but so worth it. I got laser treatment on my feet when I was suffering badly with it(your 2012 Novices year), worked a treat for me.

Thanks Barry, golfball was too severe but never used tennis ball as thought it would be too soft, but I have iced it and then rolled it with tennis ball. Hit the spot.....literally. Pain is in the heel but tenderness is in the arch. Thanks

Advertisement