Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

But its cold outside

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Baby75 wrote: »
    I hope the PF goes and the infection in your tooth !! you are right to rest until it is better :)
    gypsylee wrote: »
    Hope you feel much better soon Anne. Mind yourself.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Oh dear A, rough time. I hope you catch a break soon and things pick up for you. You've a great attitude which will stand to you no doubt.

Thanks Ladies, antibiotics have the tooth under control and painkillers helping to minimise the pain. The foot is much better too but I suppose the painkillers are helping there too. :D:D

spaceylou wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear about your face and foot. Hope the antibiotics have sorted out your face/tooth pain anyway and I think you are under treatment for the pf in foot.

I was just catching up on the last year of your log and am in the L4 club myself, probably just as common as the L5/S1 club but as you've noticed too much exercise, especially running, can aggravate it but unfortunately being lazy is no good either and lots of sitting aggravates it as well. I've found the best thing for me is every (realistically) 4-5/7 mornings a week to do a 20 - 30 minute set of stretches and core exercises, as well as pilates classes during the week. And if I don't do them for a week or two, I am not allowed to run. It's really made a difference, now my visits to the physio are much less frequent and usually when I've hurt something else.

I hope your foot heals quickly so you can get back to running and I look forward to watching 2019 unfold as your come back year! Keep in mind, with that talk of 3 marathons that 1 or 2 marathons would also be pretty impressive and no mean feat with your hectic life. :D

Thanks L, yes definitely notice lack of exercise over the past couple of weeks is not helping. But between sickness & Christmas I haven't got back to the gym yet and can really feel it.

An hours drive before starting the early shift and unfortunately i cant fit in an extra 30 mins in the morning , but I definitely need to add it in in the evening as it can only help things along.

I know,:eek: if i can get in shape for 1 marathon i'd be thankful but we'll wait and see what happens. Berlin can definitely be deferred, i don't think London can be deferred for a second year but haven't confirmed that yet and Dublin will be a trot around once i back to that type of distance. Not prepared to hang up the runners just yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Ah Anne, what a start to the NY.

I hope all eases and you are back out training when able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

I hope that is all the nuisance stuff front loaded for the year Anne. Recover well.

So January is over with a total of 2 runs (Jan 1 & 5th = 7.1m) and I'm still on the subs bench. :( The PF is improving but still have daily pain. Just this week, the mornings are now pain-free as i have been doing daily exercises first thing but the pain builds with driving and in the evening.

Started Pilates, once a week and will be increasing to twice a week in 2 weeks. Gym has taken a knock back as was knocked with the dental infection and subsequent dental extraction, so will be returning regular shortly. Started aqua aerobics/aqua blast last week and really enjoyed it so will be doing that weekly also.

I am very tempted to do a test run but just want the foot to be a little more pain free first but am hopeful it will be a short treadmill run over the weekend to see what effect it will have.

London is 12 weeks this Sunday so reckon at this stage its probably a no go!!!
    However i did find this: :confused:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/1013095-threemonth-marathon-training-plan/

• Advertisement

So not long after the last post I decided to hop on the treadmill and do a mile or two. No issues from the foot and really enjoyed the 3.6 miles. Iced the foot well throughout the evening and all was grand.

Went to the gym on saturday while youngest was at Soccer academy and swapped the treadmill for the cross trainer as didn't want to overdo it. Again no issues from the foot during the workout. A few niggles later that night but wasn't at home and couldn't ice it.

Sunday decided to head out the road for a tester and 2 mile turned into 3, into 4 into 6.3m as foot was good and I was enjoying the run in the misty rain.

Again no issues from the foot and iced it plenty over the evening. So I was getting a little excited thinking maybe London is doable after all. . ..

Monday morning back to earth with a bang. Foot really sore and stretches didn't alleviate it like they have been doing. Extremely painful driving and the same on Tuesday. Had to take the 2 days off work as couldn't cope with the 70km drive each way as within 10 mins driving pain was like a hot poker being stuck into my foot. I have been icing and stretching since. Today is slightly better and i am trying the Plantar Fasciitis insoles that arrived in the post.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pawaca-Cushioned-Protection-Fasciitis-Problems/dp/B07DDFQ6JQ/ref=pd_day0_hl_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07DDFQ6JQ&pd_rd_r=7921cee3-2a11-11e9-b867-f73deaabb510&pd_rd_w=8wLRQ&pd_rd_wg=Y74SB&pf_rd_p=92d624bb-a334-423e-8722-8024dd09667f&pf_rd_r=VW177Y0XNT6W0KE3RKN4&psc=1&refRID=VW177Y0XNT6W0KE3RKN4

So London is OFF and running is cancelled until this foot is fully better!!!
    Very disappointed but it is only a hobby after all!!! Being able to drive and walk is much more important!!!:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Really sorry to hear this, I can only imagine the frustration!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Oh no Anne that is so disappointing and annoying :( I am raging for you

Will you go to physio I hope it gets better quickly for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

So sorry to read this A, it sucks. I really hope your luck turns soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bad news Anne - sorry hear that.

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear this, I can only imagine the frustration!!
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Oh no Anne that is so disappointing and annoying :( I am raging for you

Will you go to physio I hope it gets better quickly for you
    ariana` wrote: »
    So sorry to read this A, it sucks. I really hope your luck turns soon.
    Bad news Anne - sorry hear that.

Thanks guys, yes its frustrating and disappointing but the main aim has to be getting back regular, painless running and take it from there.

Went for treatment last Thursday night and got massage, dry needling, cupping & Sanding(still don't know the proper name for this). There's a huge improvement in my foot but I still need to manage it, ice it and stretch it. I've been given more exercises to do and have been doing them religiously every day. She told me I can go running and just manage it after every run.

The driving still seems to aggravate it so driving to work every second day seem to have lessened the impact!! go figure!! Friday after treatment foot was great but after driving to work, Fri eve & Sat it was very sore.

Hated not being able to get to Donadea 50k for supporting duties. Rested it over the weekend and then Tuesday went for an easy run outside. 1st half mile foot was tender and I was going to run back but decided to go for 1 mile and turn then. Read somewhere once "the first mile is always a lie"!!! by end of mile 1, No tenderness so continued on and ended up with 3 mile and very happy. Iced it and stretched & rolled it when I got home. Happy days. Pilates that even and i was cursing my run as my legs were not used to it and Pilates was tough. Doms on Wednesday and a sore hip, along with a sore foot after drive home. More management and ok Thursday so another 3m easy run ( with some eventful dog incidents:mad:) not all Labradors are friendly!!:eek:

So just to help me get rid of the notion (even though I had already said it was off) :rolleyes::rolleyes: that I would trot around the London marathon, I've cancelled my accommodation.

So plan is basebuilding - 3 - 4 easy 5k runs for a few weeks and see how the body holds up. I've signed up for 6 weeks Pilates and hopefully along with the rest of it, it will all come good.

Warning - long moaning post!!

So just for my own records I’m going to log Jan & Februarys activities so I can gauge my progress(or lack of it)

January 2019

01.01.19 – Run 4.1m in 42.06

04.01.19 – Walk - 2m in 34.25

05.01.19 – Run 3.1m in 29.51 parkrun 30min pacer

15.01.19 – Bike - indoor bike 31.04mins

16.01.19 – gym workout 40 mins

19.01.19 – Walk - 3.1m parkrun tailwalker in 54.10

24.01.19 – Pilates class 40 mins

25.01.19 – Aqua aerobics/blast 45 mins

26.01.19 – Walk - 3.1m parkrun tailwalker 50.20

31.01.19 – Pilates class 40 mins

February 2019

01.02.19 – Run - Treadmill 3.71m in 38.58

02.02.19 – gym workout 45 mins

03.02.19 – run - 6.3m in 1:03:59

12.02.19 – run - 3.2m in 32.42

12.02.19 - Pilates class 40 min

14.02.19 – Run - 3.3m in 34.03

16.02.19 – Run - 3.1 in 30.19 Navan parkrun

17.02.19 – Run - 2.2m in 36.01 Recovery with the 10yr old

21.02.19 – Run - 4.04m in 41.48

23.02.19 – Run - 3.1 in 30.32 Dundalk parkrun

24.02.19 - Bike ride 16.29m in 1:30:12

27.02.19 - Gym workout 1st in a while

27.02.19 - Run - 3.2 in 33.54

Hoping to get out this evening for a short run, depends what time I get home from work at and if it’s too dark to venture out. Pilates is off this week and last as the instructor was getting married so the 6 weeks course will kick off again next Tuesday. I’m finding it tough :eek: but know I need it so will stick it out and hope to reap the benefits.

So there is a bit of variety in my activities the last 2 months but still lacking consistency and commitment.:o I’ve lost my way again and was very lazy and disheartened and have gained a bit of weigh again.:o I have a really good few days and then this is followed by a few bad days so a bit of a vicious cycle going on.

I have been logging my food intake on Myfitnesspal since the 12th February and I see a pattern of bad eating on the days I’m working at home and on the weekend. Clothes are getting very tight again so a new vigour kicked in yesterday. I can talk the talk but not great at walking the walking!!! 3lbs off in the first week, some of it back on in the second, so now I’m at 2 lbs off since I started but need to keep on top of it.

My foot is still giving me issues and although I was told I could run, it’s taking a day or so to recover and it’s not a very pleasant experience. I have been doing the exercises so can only hope it eases soon. There is a new pair of orthotics being made for me at the moment and I’m hoping to have then within 2 weeks and then they have to be broken in and hopefully they will help with all the different issues I’ve been having. I could really do with an injury free few months to try get my health & fitness back in a good place.

Sorry for the long moany post, just needed to get it out!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Oh Anne what a frustrating start to the year for you. Hopefully the orthotics will help with a lot of the issues for you and your will be back pounding the roads in the not too distant future.

Good luck with the weight loss. My daughter uses Myfitnesspal too and finds it really great to keep her motivated.

Oh and moan away, it is great to get it out of your system.

Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Hope the moan made you feel better! Sounds like you're frustrated and rightly so. But you're doing something about it, between the pilates, orthotics and weight loss you should be back on track soon.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to hear how this has been going for you A, hope you get a breakthrough soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hang in there Anne. Injury is temporary, class is permanent. :)

Injuries suck I hope it turns a corner soon for you and you can run pain-free again

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corklily05

Anne,

I had a similar situation last year with my knee which gradually got worse. I tried to run it off but eventually it got to the point of no return. The reason why im bringing this up is i don't want it happening to you. I was training for DCM at the time so, was devastated as it was a non-runner from june.

Is it taking longer for the pain to dissipate when you run? You know your body better than anyone so, please listen to it. Thing is, i was 6 months our of running because i ran on a sore knee which gradually got worse and eventually i was out for 6 months. I'll advise to rest the foot as much as possible and not run until you're pain free. I see, this has been going on for a while? Could you give it 2 weeks rest and see how it is then?

You might be damaging it more and rest and ice will give you pain free running. Good luck!!

corklily05 wrote: »
    Anne,

I had a similar situation last year with my knee which gradually got worse. I tried to run it off but eventually it got to the point of no return. The reason why im bringing this up is i don't want it happening to you. I was training for DCM at the time so, was devastated as it was a non-runner from june.

Is it taking longer for the pain to dissipate when you run? You know your body better than anyone so, please listen to it. Thing is, i was 6 months our of running because i ran on a sore knee which gradually got worse and eventually i was out for 6 months. I'll advise to rest the foot as much as possible and not run until you're pain free. I see, this has been going on for a while? Could you give it 2 weeks rest and see how it is then?

You might be damaging it more and rest and ice will give you pain free running. Good luck!!

Thanks for the response. I hope you are fully recovered and back running.

I rested from the 4th January to 2nd of February with no running and things did improve. For February there was 9 runs/walks well spaced out.

My foot is definitely getting better and the recovery time is getting shorter after every run. I'm back for treatment on the foot this week and I will see what she says. It was my therapist that said to go back running and the foot is no worse from it.

Thanks for all they lovely supportive messages. Feeling the love:D

My moany post seems to have had a cathartic effect and my eating had been great over the weekend. I had a couple of drinks on Saturday night only instead of Fri - Sunday and am definitely feeling the better for it.

Also got 3 good runs in last week and the recovery time after each is coming down. Decided not to run on Thursday evening when i got home as want to give a day off in between runs and see how i progress.

Went out on Friday planning 3m but it was a lovely day starting off and decided to do a bit extra. Ended up being sensible and ended up with 5.2m.
    10.21, 10.21, 10.01, 10.17, 10.17, 10.12(02)
    Total 5.21 in 53:25

Saturday saw Soccer season kicked off again and with 2 of the kids playing, one home and one away means that we were both tied up with soccer so no parkrun. Horrible morning standing on the side-line but foot was good so that's a positive.

Sat looking out at the snow on Sunday and decided I'd take a rest day, but after a bit of hoovering I felt energised:eek: and really wanted to go out for a run, so got the correct gear on and left with my family looking at me like I was deranged!!:D Said id be back in 30 - 45 mins but it was 1.03 before I returned as I just kept adding on half mile at a time and was enjoying being out in the snow. It even stopped for my last 10 mins running. hot shower and hot dinner waiting for me when I got home. Loved it!!:D iced and rolled the foot when I got home and it was good. A bit tender first thing this morning but ok now.

9.45, 10.26, 9.52, 10.05, 10.26, 10.05, 9.54(.25)
    Total 6.25 in 1.03, paces are all over the place as i just ran by feel and took the hills very easy!!

Itching for a run today but will see after drive home how it is!! Might do a few laps of football pitch while youngest is training!!1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff Anne, light at the end of the tunnel at last hopefully.

here's hoping B - 30 weeks to Berlin!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hope this is it for you now A. You deserve a break big time!

Yah - I have a weekly update:D

Monday 4th March - Rest

Tuesday 5th March
    AM:4.10 m Easy
    I was doing a bit of reading and realised that my easy runs are too fast as I've lost fitness so need to slow them down. I headed out for this run in lovely sunshine and first half mile foot is sore so I take it easy. I was at 11 min/mile pace so decided to try keep it slow. Its not a flat route so HR is always high but felt it going to 180s was not good for an easy run. This run was much better and was slow but still tending to speed up a bit unconsciously
    10.45, 10.30, 10.35, 10.05, 10.56(.10)
    Total 4.10 in 42:59

PM: Pilates Class

Wednesday 6h March -Rest

Thursday - 7th March
    Last minute decision to head to Navan to the track with the club. I hadn't ben in over 2 years to their winter track sessions. Laura was mad to go too but there was only 4 juveniles training as it was a cold frosty night. She loved it and wants to go every week now!!!

We did a few warm up laps followed by drills and then the others were doing 5 x 800 off 400 recovery and I was going to just do easy but decided to do a few 800s. I did 3 and felt it was enough as the breathing is ragged when I add any sort of speed. first one came in at exactly 4 mins for the 800, then 4.03 & 4.05 I was hanging on for the last one. I was happy with that effort. paces of 7.54, 8.07, 8.08. After the last rep I was talking to NeilC previously from these parts so only did one lap cooldown after that, as Laura was finished and freezing.
    Enjoyed it.
    Total for the evening was 4.89m

I was trying to avoid running 2 days in a row just yet but I knew I wouldn't get out Saturday as both kids had soccer first thing and then Laura football straight after and then I have physio at 4 so there would be no time for a run.

Friday 8th - Easy run
    Headed out for an easy one and kept it slow again.
    At almost at the first mile marker I heard a strange noise from the hedge and looked & saw a little lamb in the ditch. When I tried to lift it took off down the hill with its little legs buckling under it so it kept falling, probably was terrified. It stopped at a few more places to try to get to the field in a but couldn't. Eventually when he stopped running I got it back into the field and to safety.
    10.32, 10.42, 10.35, 10.27(.23)
    Total 3.23 in 34.10

Saturday 9th - Rest
    I left home at 8.40 that morning and was standing for most of the day, so by the time I got toy physio the foot was sore. I was also wearing my new orthotics in a new pair of runners to try break them in!
    Headed to physio that afternoon and she did great work on my foot including needles into by heel :eek: which was quite painful and needles in both legs on the calf and she massaged deeply everywhere else.
    She got in very deep into my hips an boy was it horrendous. I left there limping but knew it wouldn't last. no pain in the foot that evening at all and ever better it was a free session as I had won it on a FB competition:D
    Iced legs later and was much better by bedtime

Sunday 10th March - Easy
    Body slightly tender and just about to head to Oldcastle for U16 match when it was cancelled. Daughter delighted and headed off back to bed!!! well it was 10.30 on a Sunday morning and bed was where she belonged!!:eek:

I was thinking of all in Bohermeen and the weather looked ok but it was windy and a while later the snow and hail started. I decided I'd do a short treadmill run later in the day, so I lit the fire and was gearing up for the rugby when at 2.30 the sun came out and I decided I'd head out. Hubby was working in the shed and just laughed when he seen me heading out!! I put on my new orthotics and new runner and said I'd only be half an hour.
    Headed off but by 1.7 mile in I could feel the rub on both insteps and within a few hundred metres the burn stated and it was instant and very sore. I knew blisters were forming on both feet and I would do damage if I kept going, so rang hubby and he came and brought me my older runners & orthotics. Laura wanted me to take a lift home but I told her I'd run home and wouldn't be long. But when I got going I was really enjoying it and the blisters were manageable in the spare runners so it turned into a 10k and the sun shome for all of it.
    Happy days!!
    10.40, 10.24, 10.18, 10.41, 10.28, 10.29, 10.27(.31)
    Total 6.31 @ 10.30 in 1:06

Delighted with a weekly total of 18.3m!!

Heres hoping there will be weekly updates going forward!!

Oh, what a great week !! delighted to see it and hope to read many more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

This is great to see Anne! A good week's running and a spot of animal rescue, nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great to see you're back logging, long may it continue!

eyrie wrote: »
    This is great to see Anne! A good week's running and a spot of animal rescue, nice!

I missed that the first time saving a wee lamb deadly! many a time I used to do that at home when out horse riding! sheep are terrible for getting stuck in fences :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Younganne wrote: »
    Yah - I have a weekly update:D

Monday 4th March - Rest

Tuesday 5th March
    AM:4.10 m Easy
    I was doing a bit of reading and realised that my easy runs are too fast as I've lost fitness so need to slow them down. I headed out for this run in lovely sunshine and first half mile foot is sore so I take it easy. I was at 11 min/mile pace so decided to try keep it slow. Its not a flat route so HR is always high but felt it going to 180s was not good for an easy run. This run was much better and was slow but still tending to speed up a bit unconsciously
    10.45, 10.30, 10.35, 10.05, 10.56(.10)
    Total 4.10 in 42:59

PM: Pilates Class

Wednesday 6h March -Rest

Thursday - 7th March
    Last minute decision to head to Navan to the track with the club. I hadn't ben in over 2 years to their winter track sessions. Laura was mad to go too but there was only 4 juveniles training as it was a cold frosty night. She loved it and wants to go every week now!!!

We did a few warm up laps followed by drills and then the others were doing 5 x 800 off 400 recovery and I was going to just do easy but decided to do a few 800s. I did 3 and felt it was enough as the breathing is ragged when I add any sort of speed. first one came in at exactly 4 mins for the 800, then 4.03 & 4.05 I was hanging on for the last one. I was happy with that effort. paces of 7.54, 8.07, 8.08. After the last rep I was talking to NeilC previously from these parts so only did one lap cooldown after that, as Laura was finished and freezing.
    Enjoyed it.
    Total for the evening was 4.89m

I was trying to avoid running 2 days in a row just yet but I knew I wouldn't get out Saturday as both kids had soccer first thing and then Laura football straight after and then I have physio at 4 so there would be no time for a run.

Friday 8th - Easy run
    Headed out for an easy one and kept it slow again.
    At almost at the first mile marker I heard a strange noise from the hedge and looked & saw a little lamb in the ditch. When I tried to lift it took off down the hill with its little legs buckling under it so it kept falling, probably was terrified. It stopped at a few more places to try to get to the field in a but couldn't. Eventually when he stopped running I got it back into the field and to safety.
    10.32, 10.42, 10.35, 10.27(.23)
    Total 3.23 in 34.10

Saturday 9th - Rest
    I left home at 8.40 that morning and was standing for most of the day, so by the time I got toy physio the foot was sore. I was also wearing my new orthotics in a new pair of runners to try break them in!
    Headed to physio that afternoon and she did great work on my foot including needles into by heel :eek: which was quite painful and needles in both legs on the calf and she massaged deeply everywhere else.
    She got in very deep into my hips an boy was it horrendous. I left there limping but knew it wouldn't last. no pain in the foot that evening at all and ever better it was a free session as I had won it on a FB competition:D
    Iced legs later and was much better by bedtime

Sunday 10th March - Easy
    Body slightly tender and just about to head to Oldcastle for U16 match when it was cancelled. Daughter delighted and headed off back to bed!!! well it was 10.30 on a Sunday morning and bed was where she belonged!!:eek:

I was thinking of all in Bohermeen and the weather looked ok but it was windy and a while later the snow and hail started. I decided I'd do a short treadmill run later in the day, so I lit the fire and was gearing up for the rugby when at 2.30 the sun came out and I decided I'd head out. Hubby was working in the shed and just laughed when he seen me heading out!! I put on my new orthotics and new runner and said I'd only be half an hour.
    Headed off but by 1.7 mile in I could feel the rub on both insteps and within a few hundred metres the burn stated and it was instant and very sore. I knew blisters were forming on both feet and I would do damage if I kept going, so rang hubby and he came and brought me my older runners & orthotics. Laura wanted me to take a lift home but I told her I'd run home and wouldn't be long. But when I got going I was really enjoying it and the blisters were manageable in the spare runners so it turned into a 10k and the sun shome for all of it.
    Happy days!!
    10.40, 10.24, 10.18, 10.41, 10.28, 10.29, 10.27(.31)
    Total 6.31 @ 10.30 in 1:06

Delighted with a weekly total of 18.3m!!

Heres hoping there will be weekly updates going forward!!

Delighted to see this, long may it continue for you Anne.

• Advertisement

The Rest of March

Thursday 14th March – Extra Easy
    blisters healing so decided to do a tester run. Brought my old orthotics in my hand but the blister plasters were doing their job and kept the sting away. New blister developed on right foot at top of current blister.

I also had the usual pain in heel for first half mile but there was also a new pain. Realised it was bruising from the needles last weekend & thankfully it eased after a few minutes. This was not a very enjoyable run. The first mile felt way slower that what was recorded.

10.04, 10.33, 10.21, 10.24(.22)
    Total 3.22 @ 10.20 in 33:17

Thursday - Pilates class. (45mins)

Great class, left the runner on so feet behaved and the cramps stayed away.

Friday 15th March – easy miles & standing Myrtl routine.

This was an evening run and kept it super slow again. Lovely evening and daylight for longer great to see.

10.36, 10.24, 10.39, 10.29(.31)
    Total 3.31 @ 10.32 in 34.49

Sunday 17th - Easy Miles “Long Run”

I was looking out at the rain and listening to the wind but got a dose of HTFU and headed out. :D After a few miles the sun came out and it was a lovely day. The wind was very strong at times and I decided to try out a new loop, but found the hills tough in parts. Just ran by feel and as a result some miles are very slow but it was just time on my feet I needed.

After 2 miles I had to take out the new orthotics and replace with the old ones as I couldn’t stick the rub on the blisters anymore and it was driving me mad. :mad: But the heel pain is disappearing so that’s good news.

10.38, 10.34, 10.09, 10.11, 10.01, 10.36, 10.39, 10.21(.31)
    Total 7.31 @ 10.24 in 1:15

Wednesday 20th March – Extra easy miles

Very muggy out and I was sweating a good bit, but them the drizzly rain came and cooled me down. I have to concentrate to keep the pace slow but I am managing it ok

I used my old orthotics for this as the new ones are going back for alterations. No heel pain again and none in the morning when I get up so happy days. However I did manage to get a new blister.

10.49, 10.46, 10.34, 10.39, 9.58(.12)
    Total 4.12 @ 10.41 in 43:57

Ended up with a slight infection in one of the blisters :eek: so no running for the rest of the week. It healed nicely with bathing in salted water and rubbing in Savlon. No Pilates either as sore to walk on.

Monday 25th March – Very easy on grass
    Decided to try a run on grass while youngest was GAA training. Grass was very soft and uneven and quite long. After 2 very slow miles and the bottom of my right leg started to tighten up and I decided to stop as by the time I got just over 2.5m I was limping. 9 laps of the pitch and I couldn’t bear the pain to make it 10 laps.

Did a good stretch out while training was finishing up, but calf/Achilles very tender for the evening. My heel pain was back on Monday night and Tuesday morning, back to limping!!

11.05, 11.13, 11.12(.68) walked the last half lap.
    Total 2.68 m @ 11.22

Tuesday 26th March - Pilates Class (45 mins)
    A great class focusing on the hips. Still finding the class tough but getting a bit better at it. Heel sore when doing some of the exercises, even though I kept the runners on again.

Thursday 28th March – Easy run
    Took Wednesday off completely and foot much better on Thursday so such a beautiful day I headed our for a lunch time run. About half a mile into the run when the heel settled, I suddenly felt very strong. I felt tall and thin (although with the weigh I’ve put on I’m certainly not thin(25lbs to lose)) So I think the Pilates is doing me good.

10.31, 10.39, 10.24, 10.44, 10.21(.50)
    Total 4.50 @ 10.33 in 47.30

Thursday 28th – Pilates Class
    Heel in a complete mess again after the run earlier and I was limping going into Pilates, could do most exercises but a few really were difficutl. Rested the foot so no run Fri or Sat.

Sunday 31st March – Strava 5k virtual ”Race”

Sunday foot felt ok but I didn’t want to go for a run. I was absolutely freezing all day after getting cold on a visit to a graveyard and I did consider lighting the fire early but then the sun came out and I decided to go for a short run. Hubby in work and eldest doing the dinner so headed down the main road. The pace was faster than usual as it starts on a downhill so decided after half mile to do a faster run and make it my Strava 5K virtual “Race”. I didn’t race it but just kept the pace going. Turned at 2 miles and had to stop for traffic to get across the road so used the chance to catch my breath. Enjoyed the last mile then and ended up with a progression run. Not full out race effort but good effort all the same. Sweat was pouring off me by the end. Finished with a 1 m cool down and although I was tempted to do a bit more as it’s a low mileage week, foot was telling me otherwise.

Strava has gone a bit funny with the time so using the Garmin connect splits: 9.02, 8.47, 8.21, 8.09 Total 3.13 @ 8.42 in 27.14 (and 1.01m cool down at 9.53)

Today the foot is very sore:( and I’ve an unpleasant limp so not looking forward to the drive home from work. I will ice it later. I had planned a short run later while football training is on but we’ll see.

Beginning to think that new orthotics did great work on my heel and only for the blisters I'd still be wearing them. Hope to get them back this week with a bit shaved of the height of the instep and then we’ll see how the foot is. Feels like I’m back to square 1!!:eek:

Advertisement