Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gu10 Led Lighting

• 14-12-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have 9 50w halogen bulbs in my kitchen and 6 in a bedroom upstairs. I want to replace all of these, with energy efficient bulbs with good quality light. I puchased 1 ecopal 2w led today as a tester for €10. It seems quite good. I have read in a previous post that the Philips 4w led is good too. I can get these for €15 each.

The ecopal states that 2w=50w and the Philips 4w=35w. Has anyone compared these two types of bulb side by side. What are your thoughts. What should i buy. My lighting is not dimmable.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Buzzbarr wrote: »
    I have 9 50w halogen bulbs in my kitchen and 6 in a bedroom upstairs. I want to replace all of these, with energy efficient bulbs with good quality light. I puchased 1 ecopal 2w led today as a tester for €10. It seems quite good. I have read in a previous post that the Philips 4w led is good too. I can get these for €15 each.

The ecopal states that 2w=50w and the Philips 4w=35w. Has anyone compared these two types of bulb side by side. What are your thoughts. What should i buy. My lighting is not dimmable.

Philips 4 watt LED GU10s are 8 euro 50 cents plus Vat.

So who ever is charging you 15 euro,is taking you for a ride.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

How often do these need to be replaced? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

paddy147 wrote: »
    Philips 4 watt LED GU10s are 8 euro 50 cents plus Vat.

So who ever is charging you 15 euro,is taking you for a ride.:mad:

Maybe, but as the op asked

I'd be interested to know myself, what is the equivalent LED in watts to 50w gu10's?

Thanks

vicwatson wrote: »
    Maybe, but as the op asked

I'd be interested to know myself, what is the equivalent LED in watts to 50w gu10's?

Thanks

I was merely informing the OP that he is being greatly over charged for the Philips.

I bought a heap of them for my house (Philips 4 watt Master) and they are a great downlight bulb.:)

There is also a "sticky" thread that Stoner has specificly opened up,that is dedicated to LED lights.

See the top of the electrical forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

vicwatson wrote: »

All depends on the efficiency of the LED technology and power conversion. So it will vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭coolbreeze01

a rough guide seems to be that 1 watt led is equal to 10 watt halogen but its a very rough guide.
    I have the 4 watt philips in my sitting room and then some cheaper leds in kitchen the philips i think are far better colour wise but the cheaper ones i find are grand in the kitchen as its brightness you want.
    (i think my cheaper leds are 3 watt but cant be sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

There is also a sticky thread that Stoner had specificly opened up,that is dedicated to LED lights.

See the top of the electrical forum.

Brilliant - thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Buzzbarr

Have you tried the ecopals paddy. I think you said in a previous post you got them in eurosales. Im living in Cork, Kellihers electrical were retailing them for €15. I dont think there is a eurosales in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

€8.50 from Eurosales is some price but I assume this is excluding vat ? Think I remember seeing a post here before saying that Eurosales were only making 0.17c per bulb. If this true then it's madness on their part unless they have a huge rebate from Philips. And it would want to be pretty huge. Is this price available to everyone off the street and if not I wonder are they selling them cheaper to contractors ?

FMartinp wrote: »
    €8.50 from Eurosales is some price but I assume this is excluding vat ? Think I remember seeing a post here before saying that Eurosales were only making 0.17c per bulb. If this true then it's madness on their part unless they have a huge rebate from Philips. And it would want to be pretty huge. Is this price available to everyone off the street and if not I wonder are they selling them cheaper to contractors ?

I said 8 euro 50 cents plus vat in post 2.

Im not in the trade,just an avid diyer who likes to be energy effiecent.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

Oops ! I see that now.

Just bought one philips to compare against the ecopal. I got the price wrong, its €10 + Vat = €12.1. The ecopal seems brighter, its daytime now. So i will make a final judgement when its dark.

Buzzbarr wrote: »
    Just bought one philips to compare against the ecopal. I got the price wrong, its €10 + Vat = €12.1. The ecopal seems brighter, its daytime now. So i will make a final judgement when its dark.

You are still being hammered on the price.:(

Has anyone tried the philips 5.5w led gu10. Its supposed to = 50w halogen. It looks like it has 4 led lights in it. With regards price on the philips 4w if anyone knows where to get it cheaper than €12.1 in the Cork area please let me know.

Advertisement