Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obligatory to issue receipts?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

My local Londis NEVER gives a receipt unless you ask for one, ridiculous that I should have to ask in the first place, I take they aren't obliged to do so but just wondering...TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is no obligation to give a receipt, but if you ask then they shouldn't refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Tazium

I find that this happens a lot these days, petrol and other smaller items etc. I wonder if it's a tax avoidance thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It might be - or it could be the staff augmenting their income, or just that the till is out of receipt roll!!

Donno.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I work in a shop and only issue the receipt if a person asks for it. No real reason for it apart from being a waste of paper and most times people who has asked for the receipt look at it and then fire it into the bin ! What's the point ?

If it is to query a price fair enough but I have found most people these days tend to have the total made up in their head by checking the shelf pricing labels so they generally know how much they are spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Tazium

I can appreciate that viewpoint, but for me I keep all my receipts to track expenses. Not issuing receipts is suspect in my opinion. I don't know how tax/vat is levied against a retail unit but if there isn't a receipt issued then there is effectively no sale right? Of course the stock can be adjusted six ways to Sunday.

A garage I use always seem put out when I ask for the receipt. Even worse is those termal rolls where the ink is like invisible ink that fades after a few days. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

A box of thermal receipt rolls (the kind that most modern tills use) costs anything from about €12 to about €25 (ex vat) depending on the size and how many you buy in bulk.

It's just one other cost to cut down on - otherwise the cost will most likely be built into the price you pay. In the convenience store business I would imagine the amount of receipts left behind is fairly high so it's probably easier to turn the receipt printer off and just issue when they're asked for it.

The obligation isn't on the store to issue receipts - unless they state clearly in their policy that it is the case. They cannot refuse to issue a receipt on request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Tazium wrote: »
    I can appreciate that viewpoint, but for me I keep all my receipts to track expenses. Not issuing receipts is suspect in my opinion. I don't know how tax/vat is levied against a retail unit but if there isn't a receipt issued then there is effectively no sale right? Of course the stock can be adjusted six ways to Sunday.

The issuing of a receipt to a customer has no bearing on tax or vat. Once the sale goes through the till it is recorded regardless of weather the customer receives a receipt.

Generally customers in convenience stores don't want receipts and have a look outside any convenience store that issues receipts for every purchaxe, the ground is covered in paper.

Personally I only look for a receipt for larger purchases, something that might need exchanging or something that comes with warranty. A receipt for anything else is a waste imo. At a time when small amounts of money can make or break a business they don't need to be spending a couple of hundred quid a month on till rolls

Advertisement