Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Monster Waves

Options
  • 14-12-2011 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Nice article on recent waves in Mullaghmore, Sligo.

Fergal Smith and Tom Lowe are legends of the higest order, refusing to take the easier route of towing in, paddled into these monsters! can you imagine the feeling of pushing the board over the edge of one of these things! Much respect.

I was down at a secret spot reef a few miles down the sligo coast today and witnessed the irish stand up paddle board champion finn mullen in action.
    Out on his own, no support, caught a triple over head plus right and killed it. biggest wave i've seen been caught in that spot ever. unbelievable.

http://magicseaweed.com/Mully-Sees-Red-Content/3637/

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

promethius wrote: »
    Nice article on recent waves in Mullaghmore, Sligo.

Fergal Smith and Tom Lowe are legends of the higest order, refusing to take the easier route of towing in, paddled into these monsters! can you imagine the feeling of pushing the board over the edge of one of these things! Much respect.

I was down at a secret spot reef a few miles down the sligo coast today and witnessed the irish stand up paddle board champion finn mullen in action.
    Out on his own, no support, caught a triple over head plus right and killed it. biggest wave i've seen been caught in that spot ever. unbelievable.

http://magicseaweed.com/Mully-Sees-Red-Content/3637/

Did he do it on a SUP?? :eek::pac:

Some good footage there, looked humungous. Did ya catch any yerself at the secret spot?

Apparently the biggest wave ever recorded in our waters was off donegal the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Yes he paddled into it on an SUP!
    I wouldn't believe it only i actually saw it!!!
    He didn't just shoulder surf it either, he was right where it was breaking, turned nicely back into it as well.

My jaw was on the floor, i looked out and said to myself there was no one out, then i saw this tiny figure that looked like an SUP but i thought i must have been seeing things but i wasn't as it turned out.

I was down in the area for something else and wasn't able to bring a board down. Would i have gone out, probably would have as long as i wasn't on my own, have got in there in similar conditions. His wave was a freak one but the sets were still double over head plus. There was a guy taking photos so i will keep an eye out for it on magic seaweed.

This guy and the paddlers at mullaghmore are the real heros, must be a bit sickening for them when the jet skis get all the press! or maybe they don't care.

Saw that about the donegal wave, 4 storeys high OMG!!!

The article says mullaghmore is intended to become a paddle in big wave contest i would love, and i mean love to go watch something like that!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

promethius wrote: »
    Yes he paddled into it on an SUP!
    I wouldn't believe it only i actually saw it!!!
    He didn't just shoulder surf it either, he was right where it was breaking, turned nicely back into it as well.

My jaw was on the floor, i looked out and said to myself there was no one out, then i saw this tiny figure that looked like an SUP but i thought i must have been seeing things but i wasn't as it turned out.

I was down in the area for something else and wasn't able to bring a board down. Would i have gone out, probably would have as long as i wasn't on my own, have got in there in similar conditions. His wave was a freak one but the sets were still double over head plus. There was a guy taking photos so i will keep an eye out for it on magic seaweed.

This guy and the paddlers at mullaghmore are the real heros, must be a bit sickening for them when the jet skis get all the press! or maybe they don't care.

Saw that about the donegal wave, 4 storeys high OMG!!!

The article says mullaghmore is intended to become a paddle in big wave contest i would love, and i mean love to go watch something like that!!

Jaysus I wasn't entirely serious about the SUP, thats pretty impressive in fairness.

Yea you have to respect people who paddle waves like that, takes some balls. Would love to see a contest like that up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Sick video, fair play to those lads paddling into those beasts, balls of steel. Not many out there either, if that was any other country it would be flooded with people.

Advertisement