Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base2race bike fit

Options
  • 14-12-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Anyone used their bike fitting service? Recommend or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭griffin100

mloc123 wrote: »

Hey Mloc been a while since I seen a post from your good self :)

I haven't used them myself but I think JackyBack is visiting them this weekendfile a bike fit. Be interested to see the results myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭El Director

griffin100 wrote: »

I haven't used them myself but I think JackyBack is visiting them this weekendfile a bike fit. Be interested to see the results myself.

+1 seen as I have heard Fernando Fuentes has left the country :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will let you know, i am in there on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I've had 2 fits done by Dominic in Base 2 Race.

First on road bike last March.
    Second on TT bike in September/October.

Great service, attention to detail, customer approach, etc.
    He takes it seriously and expect to be there for up to 2 hours or so depending on current fit.

Made a decent difference and I highly recommend it.

I've no discomfort at all in TT position now and had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

griffin100 wrote: »

Work has been manic and I have been keeping my head down on here.
    +1 seen as I have heard Fernando Fuentes has left the country :(

Fernando is still doing some fits in Ireland but he is only over every few months, if you mail him he will fit you in but it might be a couple of months.
    Fazz wrote: »
    I've had 2 fits done by Dominic in Base 2 Race.

First on road bike last March.
    Second on TT bike in September/October.

Great service, attention to detail, customer approach, etc.
    He takes it seriously and expect to be there for up to 2 hours or so depending on current fit.

Made a decent difference and I highly recommend it.

I've no discomfort at all in TT position now and had problems.

Sounds good, I might give them a shot and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

+1 for bike fit in Base2Race with Dom

As Fazz mentioned, great attention to detail. Plus takes time to explain what is going on.

I noticed a huge difference.

Follow up is also excellent.

Couldn't recommend highly enough.

Plus they serve good coffee also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

What qualifications/system do Base2race use for the bike fits?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Notwitch wrote: »

Good question. Pretty sure its not F.I.S.T.

Notwitch wrote: »
    tunney wrote: »
    Good question. Pretty sure its not F.I.S.T.

They follow SICI, Serotta international cycling institute techniques or so i was informed when making the booking. 2 hour session.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

They follow SICI, Serotta international cycling institute techniques or so i was informed when making the booking. 2 hour session.

Would be interested in before and after positions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

Have had one done by them. Being honest its poor. Basically hang a small weight from your knee and the rest is done by eye..

I've read up a good bit on fit and it seems that few are good. A good bike fitting is Retul but thats based in Northern Ireland / uk. None in Ire as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

HalfTri wrote: »
    Basically hang a small weight from your knee and the rest is done by eye..

Dom totally changed my bike setup when I went in: shifted cleats on my shoes, saddle height, angle and its distance from handlebars, handlebars got dropped a lot, and my stem got changed for a shorter one. It wasn't done blindly by eye; knee position was checked off against pedals with a small weight, and then lots of different angles (knee, hip, shoulder, elbow) were checked and adjusted off a protractor until they were all simultaneously where they were meant to be. Was then given all the relevant measurements so that I could compare the before and after (and fix it if I went tinkering with it myself). Haven't had any bike issues since. I'm sure there are better fitting services available in the world, but I was plenty happy with their service. Nice guys there too; you dont leave feeling like you were just on a conveyor belt.

I had a bikefit done in another dublin store; now that was entirely done by eye and left me unimpressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

Was in with the guys from Base2race earlier this summer and experienced the same service as KingQuez and Fazz,very thorough and informative. I'm new to triathlon and have more of a running background so the bike-fit for me was very important as my upper back felt stretched over bike rides in excess of 2 hours+. After the fit, I had no issues whatsoever.

Halftri - it was so much more than hanging a piece of thread from your knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭griffin100

It's got to be better than the 'bike fit' you get in one of the more established Dublin bike shops where a spotty teenager who's probably on work experience does the fit (or that could just be my experience......and my clubmates :))

tunney wrote: »
    Would be interested in before and after positions

Its on the P2 i just bought so have no real before or after position to compare from.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

If you have a poor bike fit already - there's no doubt that base2race will improve your bike fit. However - if its good already and you're looking for minor changes to improve power etc - it prob not the best bike fit.

The guys at Base2Race are A1 fellas. Have had many dealings with them. I just didn't like their bike fit. Thats all. If you're looking for a good bike fit - it may do. If you're looking for a great one - it won't. My view.

And yes the bike services provided by other bike shops in Dublin are poor too (again speaking from experience). Perhaps there is an opening for Retul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Personally i'd recommend Frank O' Connor, operating out of Richies in Swords. Before and after pic's and video provided.

Nothing done by eye, he explains things clearly, measure everything using feet measurement equipment, a tape,a laser and angle instrument. The laser i thought was a brilliant idea as i could see the difference between my knee caving inwards before and not so after as i cycled.

I was very happy with everything and he is a super nice guy too.

Very pleased with the experience today, lots of changes made as expected on a new fit for a bike i have yet to ride:o. It would have been nice to compare a before and after!! As Kingquez notes plenty of measurements and trial and error done to see what works.
    It helps that Dom is a sound guy and its great to get fitted by someone who is in the same sport. Comes across as someone who genuinely wants to help you and i felt like a valued customer by the time i finished up a good 2 hours later.
    Outcome was a very comfortable, aero, compact and what felt like a powerful setup/position and i cannot wait until i break out the P2 come race season:)

I would also highly recommend the swim session with Eana in the endless pool, a real eye opener and provides excellent feedback....even if you start to realise that you are far from a Phelps in the water:rolleyes:

Very pleased with the experience today, lots of changes made as expected on a new fit for a bike i have yet to ride:o. It would have been nice to compare a before and after!! As Kingquez notes plenty of measurements and trial and error done to see what works.
    It helps that Dom is a sound guy and its great to get fitted by someone who is in the same sport. Comes across as someone who genuinely wants to help you and i felt like a valued customer by the time i finished up a good 2 hours later.
    Outcome was a very comfortable, aero, compact and what felt like a powerful setup/position and i cannot wait until i break out the P2 come race season:)

I would also highly recommend the swim session with Eana in the endless pool, a real eye opener and provides excellent feedback....even if you start to realise that you are far from a Phelps in the water:rolleyes:

I am booked in for a fit later in the week. Looking to swap frame after Christmas but hoping to confirm what I currently think about which frame will fit best. I think my current frame is a bit long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Had a swim analysis there on Friday. Great session, id highly recommend it. Loads to work on now with loads of things gone through. Was in the water at least 90mins!

• Advertisement

You didn't get an after pic of your position you would like the share by any chance?

You didn't get an after pic of your position you would like the share by any chance?

I will try take one this evening.

Not a great quality photo as i am leaning against the wall slightly:rolleyes:

Gradually over time I can probably go another 5/10mm lower at the front once i get used to the position.

Cheers for that. Nice flat back, I will see what he can do with me on Thursday. I have pretty poor flexibility so we'll see.

Sticking up a pic of my current position from last night. I had worked on this last year and tried to copy the slowtwitch 'gold standard':

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Bike_positions_of_pro_triathletes_1603.html

Sindballe:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/6/11206-large_torbjorn2.jpg

I still think my back is too hunched.

Yeah that looks very hunched/uncomfortable from that photo, at least you will have a before an after to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

how much do they charge ?

€95

How did the fit go Mloc, an after pick would be good.

• Advertisement

Before and after pic below.

Happy with the fit, he told me what I knew.. poor flexibility that I need to work on.
    Lots of little changes, most interesting was making the cockpit longer.. I had presumed the bike was too long for me.

Advertisement