Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i will not be paying the property tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

How much is the tax? I've seen €100 per year being mentioned. Is that it?

I'm paying £186 a month in council tax over here in the UK. That does pay for your bins, the upkeep of the roads and for the police. But still it's over £2200 a year. And if you're late with payment you get at most two warnings and if you're late one more time they send you a bill for the full yearly amount, sending in debt collectors to get it from you.

While it's annoying for the Irish people that it's another tax that has to be paid it could be much much worse.
    Yes but other taxes (such as motor tax) in the UK are much much lower.
    And the cost of living is also lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Yes but other taxes (such as motor tax) in the UK are much much lower.

True
    And the cost of living is also lower.

I'd debate that. After paying rent, council tax and the normal household bills including food shopping I don't have that much disposable income left. Add in fuel costs as most people here commute further to work and a lot of people are just getting by.

But that's another topic not related to this thread.

My point about the property tax is that it's unfortunate, especially in the time, but the country needs the revenue (for reasons that were beyond much of our control) and the sooner it's paid hopefully if will help towards getting the country back on its feet.

And while €100 a year is not insignificant it's not totally unaffordable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

How much is the tax? I've seen €100 per year being mentioned. Is that it?

I'm paying £186 a month in council tax over here in the UK. That does pay for your bins, the upkeep of the roads and for the police. But still it's over £2200 a year. And if you're late with payment you get at most two warnings and if you're late one more time they send you a bill for the full yearly amount, sending in debt collectors to get it from you.

While it's annoying for the Irish people that it's another tax that has to be paid it could be much much worse.

I'd love to see a Debt collector calling to my house.
    NO ONE can come on your property without your permission and if they harrass you just call the guards.
    Not a hope i'd be paying a property tax, just handed over €8k to the council in charges for building a new house and they think there gonna tax me again. Not a hope in hell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MyKeyG wrote: »
    When I read the OP I was instantly brought back in time to the nonsensical ramblings of the proud smokers who claimed that no law was going to stop them smoking in pubs. We all know how that rebellion panned out.

Ohh that brings me back listening to all those rants.
    Sure we all know how they didn't manage to do what they claimed they would :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

decies wrote: »
    There's tents on the quay for that son, they say it's cold at night though .[
    The reason i am not in a tent dad is because i do not agree with 99% of their agenda.I do however have a problem with,
    1)Property Tax
    2)Bailing out the bondholders
    and i feel certain any normal hardworking Irish citizen would feel the same and mass non payment would be a passive way to show what most people are thinking.Imho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

NO ONE can come on your property without your permission and if they harrass you just call the guards.

Yeah, good luck with that if the Revenue visit your property, the Gardai will back them up if anything.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I like the fact that tds say they won't pay it.
    If enough people boycott it, it'll become a ball and chain that's much more hassle to enforce than to ignore. I plan to avoid it as long as possible.

Reading Strumpet City at the moment though, that could be influencing my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Mick Wallace is a good role model for the cause that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I don't mind having to pay €100.

However where I have an issue is that this is just the start. Once we all pay, it will continue to rise each year and where will it end?

And it really pisses me off when the ECB drop the interest rate and as a variable rate mortgage holder, those f*^*ers who caused all the problems then refuse to pass on the rate decrease, yet we are being screwed left right and centre to pay for their mistakes.

And we're not even a year into a new Government yet it is obvious that they are the same as the old crowd with their €3500 dry cleaning allowances and their jobs for the boys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

scout353 wrote: »

However where I have an issue is that this is just the start. Once we all pay, it will continue to rise each year and where will it end?

And it really pisses me off when the ECB drop the interest rate and as a variable rate mortgage holder, those f*^*ers who caused all the problems then refuse to pass on the rate decrease, yet we are being screwed left right and centre to pay for their mistakes.

And we're not even a year into a new Government yet it is obvious that they are the same as the old crowd with their €3500 dry cleaning allowances and their jobs for the boys!!!

unfortunately it's going to take SF going into govt to clear out the cosy cartel that exists between FG,FF,Lab & the permanent govt / Unions, (othewise known as the Social Partners)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

If the government increased your taxes to cover this payment it would work out at €2 per week & some would say that's not bad but when the charge keeps going up & up it will work out to be in excess of €30 weekly if not more & I'm not going to be paying that! I've paid enough in taxes during the years I was working & I'll be f**ked if I'm going to be paying any more!
    F**k the bond holders in Germany & France because this is where this money in reality is going!

Secondly anyone not living in this country, your opinion is not valid!
    Your living in a foreign country & you accepted it & its rules whe you moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Not paying it either! they can put me in the slammer for it, sure it,l cost them more to do that so il be waiting for them.could do with a break...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

decies wrote: »
    Mick Wallace is a good role model for the cause that's for sure.

Hes up to his eyeballs in debt aswell.

And he screwed his employees out of pension contributions he reminds me of John Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

People say now they wont pay, but when the time comes most will pay the money.

Exactly...

You'll have a raft of people giving out murder and stating they will never pay this outrageous tax then slink home and pay it on the internet.

Same crap happens with people in all manners of things - "did you study for the exam?" "Jaysis no, I didn't do a tap"... same boyo ends up aceing the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

If the government increased your taxes to cover this payment it would work out at €2 per week & some would say that's not bad but when the charge keeps going up & up it will work out to be in excess of €30 weekly if not more & I'm not going to be paying that! I've paid enough in taxes during the years I was working & I'll be f**ked if I'm going to be paying any more!
    F**k the bond holders in Germany & France because this is where this money in reality is going!

Secondly anyone not living in this country, your opinion is not valid!
    Your living in a foreign country & you accepted it & its rules whe you moved there.

I will pay it and have no problem with indirect taxation. The workers in this country have been screwed long enough with levies etc. We are carrying everyone else, so its no harm that EVERYONE gets to pay when indirect taxes are applied instead.
    With regard to the amount, there seems to be no shortage of money for the latest x box games and gadgets, yet when someone is asked to pay a minimal amount to cover services provided at local level, people turn into chicken licken!!! "the sky is falling!! the sky is falling!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Who are these people advocating a willingness to pay a property tax?
    They must be party members encouraged to put across the spin
    of paying it!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think a property tax is a good idea, but a flat rate is unfair. It should be based on land area, value of house etc.
    I'd love to see a Debt collector calling to my house.
    Not a hope i'd be paying a property tax, just handed over €8k to the council in charges for building a new house and they think there gonna tax me again. Not a hope in hell.

Remember, Revenue are a lot smarter than that. When you try sell your house Revenue will then take the money. Or else they will just let the bill mount to a nice tidy sum, and then move it. They'll probably also publish your name as a tax evader.

On the plus side, you might raise some money by selling tickets to your public humiliation.

On average it will be between €500 and €1,000; but it will depend on the size and value of your house.

This isn't a guess on my part, its in the IMF plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Bards wrote: »
    unfortunately it's going to take SF going into govt to clear out the cosy cartel that exists between FG,FF,Lab & the permanent govt / Unions, (othewise known as the Social Partners)

And what do you think would happen if SF got into government eh? Once they saw the state of the country's finances they'd do what the troika told them to. Its easy to go on rabble-rousing rants when your in opposition but its a different thing when your in government, SF in government in the north have had to implement cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

the water meters are on the way aswell.

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »

alb.gif?m=1309298121

SF are pro-union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭19.5V

Hold up here, I have the solution to the crisis......

An on the spot fiine of €100 for all drivers who use their fog lights when there is no fog.
    Another on the spot fine of €100 for all drivers who dont use their fog lights in a fog.
    On my calculations 500,000 cars would be caught tomorrow morning and another 500,000 cars would be caught tomorrow evening, thats €100000000 for tomorrow!!!,

I am checking the weather forecast to see when we have a fog, and do me calculations and I am going to have a chat with Merkil Grow and Sarkamozy on this one...............what do ye think?

the water meters are on the way aswell.

The water meters makes sense though, council aside how many people don't fix leaking taps, waste perfectly potable water for washing cars each weekend and other such stuff.

Our water is very good quality, it costs money to ensure it stays that way and yet people waste it.

These very same people cry about paying for water at home yet they'll happily spend 1e+ for just 500ml of the exact same stuff in a shop just because it has a brand name!

I've seen it in work places for years, watercoolers all around for free and idiots still buy the same water in the canteen.

Charging for it will make people think about it's use, after all if we all had free electric would you care about standby lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Where were the government when people were putting in their own pumps and septic tanks and percolation systems? And now they're wading in to charge people for this?

Enda Kenny was asked what will this charge be put towards and two of the things he mentioned were "libraries" and "fire services" apparently things that we have been getting for free thus far. If this charge is going towards fire services does this mean that when you are involved in an accident that the call out charge if a fire engine is needed will no longer be charged and will in fact come out of this fund? I don't think so!

People exempt from these charges will be people on social welfare and people living in ghost estates so it is not a charge across the board.

This is yet another charge that will just increase and increase and will eventually be accompanied by a load of other charges for the privilege of living in your own home that you paid for out of your own pocket despite decreasing wages and increasing cost of living.

This is yet another charge that will just increase and increase and will eventually be accompanied by a load of other charges for the privilege of living in your own home that you paid for out of your own pocket despite decreasing wages and increasing cost of living.

Would you prefer they put up VAT more, or income tax, or cut pay again, or spending on schools.

There is no point in complaining unless you provide an alternative, and there are always alternatives.

Personally I'm in favour of a property tax (up to €1,000 for an average home) based on the value of the property rather than a flat rate so long as it goes to the local authority.

dayshah wrote: »
    Would you prefer they put up VAT more, or income tax, or cut pay again, or spending on schools.

There is no point in complaining unless you provide an alternative, and there are always alternatives.

Personally I'm in favour of a property tax (up to €1,000 for an average home) based on the value of the property rather than a flat rate so long as it goes to the local authority.

Can you not see that this is technically speaking cutting pay? It's more money out of your pocket, therefore less money to take home to put into your household essentials such as bills, groceries and upkeep of your home.

Aside from that, I'm not the one being paid thousands to come up with these foolproof ideas and be hated by the nation. The government should be able to propose a number of options and show us how each of these options will benefit us over a reasonable period of time and then make a decision based on public feedback. They are not being reasonable with their take, take, take attitude and just expecting the nation to sit back and be silent. I for one would feel a lot happier if I had some sort of involvement (bar ticking a box on polling day) into the decisions made about my future. I am sick of the government on budget day saying "we are charging you €x and it will amount to €x,xxx,xxx" but they never tell you where it's going and you never see where it's going. Can you honestly say you are happy to pay your taxes and whatever else the government have been throwing at us for years and seeing nothing in return?

What are the local authority providing for the likes of people who built their own homes, and I mean built it brick by brick themselves, never took out a loan or a stupid mortgage and own their own home in a rural area?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

"What are the local authority providing for the likes of people who built their own homes?"

How about this just for starters; Roads, Playgrounds, Libraries, Theatres, Piers, Clean drinking Water, emergency fire services?

"What are the local authority providing for the likes of people who built their own homes?"

How about this just for starters; Roads, Playgrounds, Libraries, Theatres, Piers, Clean drinking Water, emergency fire services?

Way to selectively quote.

Please point out to me what rural dwellers have access to playgrounds, libraries, theatres, piers in their locality?

Also the majority if not all houses in rural areas have drilled their own wells and provided and maintained their own water facilities and sewage facilities for years with no help from local authorities.

Emergency fire services are invoiced for when used.

And we already pay road/motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Crazy tax. If it were for the water meters fair enough. Compared to the council tax in britain,where you actually get some thing for your money(rubbish collected,water, etc), it just comes across as the government fining people for being property owners. And to add insult to injury, the ones who it should be directed at( landlords and developers with multiple property's)are being advised to pass it on to tenants by charging an extra 25 a month, to help pay for 2nd house tax and the new tax.
    Once again the normal people of the country are being screwed over and the developers are being propped up.Fecking bad enough the government did a u turn on the upward rent reviews.Can't believe that they can't see how their commiting political suicide. Guarantee next election you'll see ff back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Dont know what else people expected other than a carry on of tradition from the recently elected government, also dont really know what people expect to happen to take us as a country out of the hole we are in and I do mean realistically.

Can someone give me a list of plausible alternatives to help ease pressure financially on the country? And please, please, make them plausible

I will make it known, I did not vote for this government, nor am I happy with the situation we are in, but just blindly complaining and throwing toys out of the pram without actually proposing reasonable ideas yourself is idiotic and it is idiots who have us in this situation in the first place

Advertisement