Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i will not be paying the property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Slksht

Sully wrote: »
    Will the campaign team be paid anything for all their hard work?

I would certainly hope not! If they would, then I wouldn't be so impressed. Only those working in an official capacity such as lawyers or such should be paid imo. And maybe the fuel costs of the representatives sent to the meetings in Dublin or wherever they are held.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

No its all done by voluntary effort. Basically it's people who want to resist the tax for one reason or another and are prepared to give some of their time. The more the merrier really to spread the workload but it's a good start so far. Some will just go as far as paying the fiver and join the campaign which is fair enough and leave it at that, others will do a bit more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No its all done by voluntary effort. Basically it's people who want to resist the tax for one reason or another and are prepared to give some of their time. The more the merrier really to spread the workload but it's a good start so far. Some will just go as far as paying the fiver and join the campaign which is fair enough and leave it at that, others will do a bit more.

I assume there will be a lot of "politics" with left supporters/TDs etc. joining in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I assume there will be a lot of "politics" with left supporters/TDs etc. joining in?

*Chip, chip, chip*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mikom wrote: »
    *Chip, chip, chip*

Well, okay.

Will the campaign team have any chips on offer at meetings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Well, okay.

Will the campaign team have any chips on offer at meetings?

Yep, french fries............ and German bratwurst.

Slksht wrote: »
    And me!! I have no doubt that the governement are stepping on very fragile ground here legally. If people don't register, then the whole shebang collapses.

Does our government with all of its massive debt and cutbacks have the manpower and resources needed to track down and bring to court 900,000 people (this is assuming they get anywhere near 900,000 people to sign up in the first place)? I highly doubt it.

Don't remember that about the bins Sully but this is a different ball game in any case! If the CPWP campaign can get serious legal representatives then the people of this country have a real shot at beating this lark before it can get started.

You are spot on with your analysis of the numbers slksht. The best opportunity to bring the whole tax down is right now at the start. Stick together and win!

The campaign is asking for support of everyone who wants to join in, no party politics allowed though. The requirement is that you must oppose the tax, that you dont register - dont pay and hopefully do a bit of work, but thats not a requirement. Its basic enough really but its for everyone and anyone. Most of the members are not involved in politics and I think that's what has the most potential - ordinary people saying they have had enough and are making a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Opposition politicians will always try attach themselves to such things,
    Before the gormless gits in FG were elected they jumped on every possible band wagon.

The future does not bode well for this. Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hey Mods any chance of a YAWN button being fitted on here??????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Not an automatic charge. It may become one but it would take a court case to order it. This is by no means certain to happen. If it ever did happen the charge can only be for a period of 12 years, it's not forever so no need for anyone to get too hung up about it. Only has an effect if the house was to be sold or the likes of that within 12 years.

Don't Register - Don't Pay is the cleanest and easiest way to defeat this tax.

Contrary to the legal information I have received but sure whatever you think yourself there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Slksht wrote: »
    Jesus man you are delusional! You will willingly (or already have) sign up to pay money? Why, because of the threat of a fine?

I'm not afraid of a fine. If you read the thread you would see that I consider a property tax to be one of the fairest taxes we can have (though as I stated I'm against a flat rate poll tax, at least it is only temporary).

Contrary to the legal information I have received but sure whatever you think yourself there.

As the campaign rolls out this issue should be cleared up for everyone's sake. Best to deal with the facts if they can be clearly established.

As the campaign rolls out this issue should be cleared up for everyone's sake. Best to deal with the facts if they can be clearly established.

Just a reminder to those interested some anti household tax volunteers will be in John Roberts Square this Saturday from 2pm talking about the campaign and will have the membership slips with them if people want to join. The cost is only a fiver and for this you get defended in court in the unlikely event you get brought to court plus the knowledge that you are doing you're bit to organise a mass boycott of the tax and make the whole thing practically impossible to collect.

Anybody interested in giving a hand out or just wanting to sign up please come along on Saturday.

Fair play, ye must be really hoping to earn some load of money if ye are going to cover peoples legal fees. :)

Hope the Waterford group are not going around giving dodgy advise as lot of these anti-household tax folk are currently giving inaccurate and incorrect legal advise.

I'm all for a fair battle, and I wouldn't consider taxing someones home "fair", but lets not mislead and scare people just to get one over on the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Fair play, ye must be really hoping to earn some load of money if ye are going to cover peoples legal fees. :)

Hope the Waterford group are not going around giving dodgy advise as lot of these anti-household tax folk are currently giving inaccurate and incorrect legal advise.

I'm all for a fair battle, and I wouldn't consider taxing someones home "fair", but lets not mislead and scare people just to get one over on the government.

There,s a group in town giving this advice you refer to.
    Awaken Waterford is going to hold a talk on the 18th of Jan in the Wander Inn showing the people of Eire how they can legally and lawfully question the validity of any new household/water tax

http://www.facebook.com/events/223572187723719/

Just to clear up any rumours people might have heard or any misconceptions people might have, this group awaken waterford, and all these other sovereign freemen type groups have no affiliation whatsoever to the can,t pay/won,t pay campaign.

Awaken Waterford is going to hold a talk on the 18th of Jan in the Wander Inn showing the people of Eire how they can legally and lawfully question the validity of any new household/water tax.

Sounds like they have The Daily Mail on board :rolleyes:

I'm all for people protesting if they are against this and pooling money to hire lawyers sounds like a good tactic, but having barrack room lawyers giving advice will just end in humiliation.

Edit: Just saw its a freeman thing.

dayshah wrote: »

Are you saying those freemen are behind this ?

Nypd wrote: »

The thing in the Wander Inn is a freeman thing. Just click on the facebook link to see. There'll be some great advice from the Brehon lawyers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Certainly looks to be, well that means its now turned into a steaming pile of ****e because thats all its good for now.

Facebook post says
    Awaken Waterford is going to hold a talk on the 18th of Jan in the Wander Inn showing the people of Eire how they can legally and lawfully question the validity of any new household/water tax. Remember ALL acts & statutes only have the FORCE of Law through YOUR consent. Example reply "Please document and verify the obligation for me a sovereign man/woman to pay such tax" Spread the word and I'll see you there. James.

www.freemenofwaterford.com

So they are certainly going to be advising people of very stupid things (just like in the above post), things that will get people into alot of trouble of they are dumb enough to follow such misleading information from some very foolish and naive people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

What I find hilarious about this Freemen conspiracy is that you can be sure if Freemen started camping out or campaigning as Freemen, we'd hear about how they'd been infiltrated by occupiers, awakers and anti-property tax campaigners. The Freemen wouldn't be behind anything. ;) People are only looking for the infiltration 'ah that's who they *really* are' angle. :D

Just to clear things up. The dodgy advise is coming from the 'freemen' group. The legal advise the Don't Register - Don't pay camapign is from fully traind and practicing solicitors who will act for people if it ever gets to the courts, which is unlikely in large numbers.

I agree this whole anti household tax campaign has to be run on solid information, with the facts on each issue debated fairly as best they can be. It would be totally wrong to try and hoodwink or mislead people. There will be two clear sides in this fight /debate ..those who impose the tax and lots of other taxes to follow plus their supporters V the anti tax campainers and all those who choose to join in on that side. Its a clear dispute and both sides are gearing up for it.

It was mentioned in another post but just to confirm the 'freemen' are not part of the broad based Anti Tax campaign. Their views are extreme wheras the members of the campaign are mostly just regular people who want to make a peaceful stand. We will all just have to see how this plays out over the next year or so.

The freemen are behind the information going around about statute and not paying on that basis. They go back to Brehon law for what they see as their rights as Freemen.

The anti household tax campaign is totally seperate from them and issue their own leaflets, posters and maintain the website etc. The campaign has also set up the information hotline 1890 98 98 00 to deal with queries and give people some factual information. I hope this clears up all this confusion for you and other boards members.

If you hear some advise or claims and counter claims its good advise to try and find out where they came from.

Am Chile wrote: »
    There,s a group in town giving this advice you refer to.

http://www.facebook.com/events/223572187723719/

Just to clear up any rumours people might have heard or any misconceptions people might have, this group awaken waterford, and all these other sovereign freemen type groups have no affiliation whatsoever to the can,t pay/won,t pay campaign.

Just to confirm what you already know, but for the benefit of other boards users...there is no link whatsoever with the Freemen group. The campaign is simple ..Can't Pay - Won't Pay promoting mass non registration for this household tax and septic tank charge. If enough people don't register then its a brilliant starting point.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Certainly looks to be, well that means its now turned into a steaming pile of ****e because thats all its good for now.

Facebook post says

So they are certainly going to be advising people of very stupid things (just like in the above post), things that will get people into alot of trouble of they are dumb enough to follow such misleading information from some very foolish and naive people

The anti household camapign is on much more solid ground than the 'Freemen'. People do need to be careful about what these Freemen are saying. Some people will agree with the anti household tax campaign and others won't but the Freemen have nothing to do with the campaign and they do their own often weird thing.

Sounds like they have The Daily Mail on board :rolleyes:

I'm all for people protesting if they are against this and pooling money to hire lawyers sounds like a good tactic, but having barrack room lawyers giving advice will just end in humiliation.

Yes freeman thing is right. Nothing to do with the Don't Register - Don't Pay campaign. The freemen group held a meeting in the wander Inn I think Wednesday night.

FYI: The anti household tax / septic tank charge group are planning a large public meeting for early February. TD's etc to address the meeting and advertising posters going up around town and county soon. Hope this info is helpful and clears up any confusion on the Freeman thing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The anti household camapign is on much more solid ground than the 'Freemen'. People do need to be careful about what these Freemen are saying. Some people will agree with the anti household tax campaign and others won't but the Freemen have nothing to do with the campaign and they do their own often weird thing.

for the sake of any other campaign they should make this clear as day that they have nothing to do with the freeman crowd, they should distance themselves as far as they can from this crowd.

So it seems another viable protest/campaign is being tarnished and brought down by the freemen chancers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

So it seems another viable protest/campaign is being tarnished and brought down by the freemen chancers.

Like myself and Insight man have already pointed out, these sovereign freemen type groups have no Involment whatsoever with the can,t pay/won,t pay campaign, they were never Involved at the start, they are not Involved now, and they will be never be Involved in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

this awaken waterford thing is just another one of these Freemen conspiracy loonbawl pages, basically the way i see it is they have been hunted out of their occupy camp, dumped all their toys out of their prams and now try to hop on the latest bandwagon rolling through town ,with a folder full of brehon laws and zeitgeist books under their arms.....:o

Advertisement