Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i will not be paying the property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Hoffmans wrote: »
    this awaken waterford thing is just another one of these Freemen conspiracy loonbawl pages, basically the way i see it is they have been hunted out of their occupy camp, dumped all their toys out of their prams and now try to hop on the latest bandwagon rolling through town ,with a folder full of brehon laws and zeitgeist books under their arms.....:o

well put! nothing much to add to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I saw a large number of them in town today. It seems a more effective tactic than the Occupy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

dayshah wrote: »
    I saw a large number of them in town today. It seems a more effective tactic than the Occupy one.

The occupy waterford movement was a joke from day one, bunch of fellows sitting around a tent talking about common law, who wouldn,t reach out and work with other campaigns.

Am Chile wrote: »
    The occupy waterford movement was a joke from day one, bunch of fellows sitting around a tent talking about common law, who wouldn,t reach out and work with other campaigns.

More than that, actively discouraged cooperation with lots of groups that had similar aims :(

Oh well, at least I'll be in my tent occupying the Comeragh mountains this summer :D

Yeah there was a great crowd coming to the table from 2 pm signing up and joining the campaign. €5 gets anyone into the campaign with thousands of others.

Simple message Don't Register - Don't Pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Honest opinion

most familys in the country are flat broke,

Any Stats to back that up? or did you just read that in the Star ;)

Need to keep that gang out of the campaign. This is a serious effort to organise a mass campaign with everyone supporting each other.

The only requirement is for people buy into the tatic and simply Don't Register - Don't Pay. This campaign can be won by people sticking together.

most familys in the country are flat broke,

Any Stats to back that up? or did you just read that in the Star ;)

ESRI, Quarterly Household Survey or Social Justice Ireland are great places to start. All have similar stats. Then move on to the recent report of the National League of Credit Unions and if more evidence is needed try SVP latest national report.

Broke or not this household tax and septic tank tax will increase year after year plus water tax. 2 or 3 years time people will be paying between €400 and €1000 and it moves up to god knows where from there.

Now is the time to make a stand. Don't Register - Don't Pay

Totall opposite to the occupy waterford group the anti household charge & water tax are holding a public meetin on the issue. details are:

Tower Hotel Tuesday 7th Feb 8.00pm. Prominent speakers followed by question & answer session. Everyone is invited to attend and a large crowd is expected.

A picket of support for a motion calling on waterford city manager not to take court action against those who refuse to pay this unjust tax on the family home will be put at the council meeting on 13th Feb.

Meet at city hall at 4.00pm until 5.30pm approx.

As many people as possible should attend the picket / protest to show solidarity and support with the councillors who will back the motion.

A mass campaign of non registration will defeat this tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Still can't find that yawn button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Prominent speakers followed by question & answer session.

Who are the speakers?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Still can't find that yawn button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try a bit harder

Who are the speakers?

John halligan TD
    Clare Daly TD
    Richard Boyd Barret

These are the main speakers. Then an open forum for questions and answers from the floor. Should be very informative.

I saw a poster down in John Roberts Square about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

John halligan TD
    Clare Daly TD
    Richard Boyd Barret

These are the main speakers. Then an open forum for questions and answers from the floor. Should be very informative.

That's as political as your getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

John halligan TD
    Clare Daly TD
    Richard Boyd Barret

We know where they are coming from anyway, that should be an interesting night , everyone will know what they are against when thay are finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

Need to keep that gang out of the campaign. This is a serious effort to organise a mass campaign with everyone supporting each other.

Agreed. They should stay in their tent(s) on the quay. This issue is too important to have them involved.

Currently the numbers registered stands at ‎8% registered at the end of February, so just to calculate- it was 5% the end of January, its now 8% the end of February, so that means for the whole of month of February, just an extra 3% registered - not looking good for the goverment-another point, we don,t know how many out of those who registered have actually paid, and how many just registered to claim their excemption.

Interesting report about the numbers paid in galway and numbers they actually need to pay.

than 6,000 County Galway home owners have coughed up the controversial household charge so far – that represents a paltry seven per cent compliance among those who are required to pay the fee, which is less than the national average.

This means that there are more than 70,000 households which have not paid the charge across Galway city and county

Next bit makes Interesting reading
    and there are fears at Government level that this will lead to a ‘safety in numbers’

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24533-galway-homeowners-snub-household-levy

That,s exactly what the anti household tax campaign is saying the whole time- there always safety and strength in numbers, while its easy to pick people off on their own, they can,t come after people in big numbers as a community, and they can,t bring everyone to court.

How many here in the Waterford forum have paid? / not paid?/ Intending to pay? / Intending not to pay?/ Undecided?

No one has posted much about the developments in waterford over the last month regarding the household tax.

Waterford city council passed a motion opposing its Introduction
    MEMBERS of Waterford City Council passed a motion opposing the imposition of the household charge on the people of Waterford.
    Nine councillors voted in favour of the motion which was presented at Waterford City Council

http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mhgbqleyey/

Some other councils have taken a similar stance.

There was an anti household tax public meeting in the tower hotel last month attended by up to 700.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

An interesting article from TheJournal. Id love to quote it, but I don't think I can with copyright legislation. It talks about the various ideas put forward by those who are opposing the treaty - in terms of its legality. It doesn't deal with the issue of the tax either side, it just deals with the most popular nonsense spread about how we can ignore it legally. Its probably the only credible source and its not reported by mainstream media sources as of yet, just for the first time it appears on one such site through a private column.

Column: Ignore the conspiracy theories – the household charge must be paid
    There is an increasing amount of gibberish masquerading as legal fact about things like the household charge, writes Fergal Crehan. It’s dangerous and it needs to end.

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-ignore-the-conspiracy-theories-the-household-charge-must-be-paid/

As an aside though, is there any source which gives Pros and Cons to this tax? I feel for those who have paid tax when they purchased their house and are now being asked to cough up again, which is why I am not comfortable with this tax. Saying that, we do need a tax for local services and I do think that this tax, despite what others are suggesting, will indeed deal with local services and not the bank / debt issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Currently the numbers registered stands at ‎8% registered at the end of February, so just to calculate- it was 5% the end of January, its now 8% the end of February, so that means for the whole of month of February, just an extra 3% registered - not looking good for the goverment-another point, we don,t know how many out of those who registered have actually paid, and how many just registered to claim their excemption.

Interesting report about the numbers paid in galway and numbers they actually need to pay.

Next bit makes Interesting reading

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24533-galway-homeowners-snub-household-levy

That,s exactly what the anti household tax campaign is saying the whole time- there always safety and strength in numbers, while its easy to pick people off on their own, they can,t come after people in big numbers as a community, and they can,t bring everyone to court.

How many here in the Waterford forum have paid? / not paid?/ Intending to pay? / Intending not to pay?/ Undecided?

Well I am one of the 70,000 in Galway who has not paid and dont intend to either. The government has underestimated the people on this one. Im sure they are not looking forward to the reception they will get on the doorsteps when they are canvassing to get the treaty passed.

• Advertisement

What legal advise is the national campaign giving out? Surely there isn't actually any legal grounds at all where you can refuse to pay this - bar just taking a chance they wont bring everyone to court?

Sully wrote: »
    An interesting article from TheJournal. Id love to quote it, but I don't think I can with copyright legislation. It talks about the various ideas put forward by those who are opposing the treaty - in terms of its legality. It doesn't deal with the issue of the tax either side, it just deals with the most popular nonsense spread about how we can ignore it legally. Its probably the only credible source and its not reported by mainstream media sources as of yet, just for the first time it appears on one such site through a private column.

Column: Ignore the conspiracy theories – the household charge must be paid

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column-ignore-the-conspiracy-theories-the-household-charge-must-be-paid/

As an aside though, is there any source which gives Pros and Cons to this tax? I feel for those who have paid tax when they purchased their house and are now being asked to cough up again, which is why I am not comfortable with this tax. Saying that, we do need a tax for local services and I do think that this tax, despite what others are suggesting, will indeed deal with local services and not the bank / debt issue.

Just to clear things up. This advise is coming from the ‘freemen’ group. The legal advise the Don’t Register – Don’t pay camapign is from fully trained and practicing solicitors who will act for people if it ever gets to the courts.

To confirm the freemen have no Involvement whatsoever with the national Anti Household Tax campaign. Their views are extreme wheras the members of the campaign are mostly just regular people who want to make a peaceful stand, our message is straightforward and simple don,t register don,t pay.

What legal advise is the national campaign giving out? Surely there isn't actually any legal grounds at all where you can refuse to pay this - bar just taking a chance they wont bring everyone to court?

If people are brought to court, the campaign will have legal defence provided for non payers.

If people are brought to court, the campaign will have legal defence provided for non payers.

But what argument can you provide for non payment of tax?

But what argument can you provide for non payment of tax?

It will be the lawyers job to give the argument in court for their client.

It will be the lawyers job to give the argument in court for their client.

Fair point. Besides donations, how could you pay for thousands of people if they all were brought to court?

Cant see it happening tho. Id say it will just be tied to the house making it hard to sell if they try.

Fair point. Besides donations, how could you pay for thousands of people if they all were brought to court?

Cant see it happening tho. Id say it will just be tied to the house making it hard to sell if they try.

To my knowledge anti household tax campaigns in most areas have been organising a membership drive,once someone signs up as a member of the campaign and pays €5, the money raised goes towards legal defence.

On the threat they make if you don,t pay they put a charge on someones property is Not an automatic charge. It may become one but it would take a court case to order it. This is by no means certain to happen. If it ever did happen the charge can only be for a period of 12 years.

But if each member, of half of the members, are brought to court its gonna cost a pretty penny fighting it in the courts. 5euro per person wont/cant pay for that.

But if each member, of half of the members, are brought to court its gonna cost a pretty penny fighting it in the courts. 5euro per person wont/cant pay for that.

The money raised in total nationally will cover it, from various public meetings nationally attended bu hundreds, and membership stalls, Id take it by now they have raised plenty of money, I suspect the court cases when the time comes, they will try a few test cases, more then likely the ring leaders of the campaign will be targeted more so then ordinary people.

• Advertisement

The idea is safety in numbers. The courts can only handle a certain numbers of cases. The workload is already too much and if they tried to bring everyone to court the whole system will break down. Its strenght in numbers that will win this one.

Advertisement