Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i will not be paying the property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Well I am one of the 70,000 in Galway who has not paid and dont intend to either. The government has underestimated the people on this one. Im sure they are not looking forward to the reception they will get on the doorsteps when they are canvassing to get the treaty passed.

Fair play to you galwayguy35. Its all about sticking together and refusing to pay. As for the treaty you won't see too many FG or LAB people out on the doors canvassing. They will use our taxes to try and convince us to vote yes. Same old approach as previous government.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Fair play to you galwayguy35. Its all about sticking together and refusing to pay. As for the treaty you won't see too many FG or LAB people out on the doors canvassing. They will use our taxes to try and convince us to vote yes. Same old approach as previous government.

Doubt it, you will see them canvassing alright but they don't tend to canvass (opposition or government) as heavy as they would in an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Sully wrote: »
    Doubt it, you will see them canvassing alright but they don't tend to canvass (opposition or government) as heavy as they would in an election.

Agreed canvassing is never as heavy as it would be in an election. Looks like it will be passed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Well if they don't get a yes vote the first time they will definatley get a yes the second time !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/council-staff-to-knock-on-doors-for-100-house-charge-3060116.html

An interesting step up in pressure from Big Phil. I'm guessing they're very worried by the number of people refusing to register so are going to try anything in this last week.

The reason I bring it up here is that I'm curious as to what Waterford City Council will do in this situation. They officially oppose the household charge so can they then turn around and make their staff go door to door as is being suggested in the article?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Question they're afraid to answer, and constantly change the subject when asked...what will happen if people refuse to pay the charge and the subsequent fines.

The Question they're afraid to answer, and constantly change the subject when asked...what will happen if people refuse to pay the charge and the subsequent fines.

Well they're certainly very shy of talking about just how long the whole process is etc. They jump straight to people having to pay thousands in fines and being hauled before the courts when the reality is that that's all very far down the line. Think the final bill 12 months after not paying is €142. They're not too keen to let people know that as they have enough trouble on their hands trying to get people to register already.

The reality is that they might pursue a number of high-profile people to the fullest extent but before they can do that, local elections will be on the horizon and they'll have had to try to introduce a full-blown property tax. I wonder would they have the stomachs for the fight then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Just can't understand how the Irish public bent over and allowed the government to foist on them NAMA and Bank debts that will run to €0000's per person.

Yet the same Irish public are get all hysterical over a lousy €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Come back to me in 5 years and see what registering up does to your wallet year after year as the charge and all other taxes rise.

mikom wrote: »
    Come back to me in 5 years and see what registering up does to your wallet year after year as the charge and all other taxes rise.

I'm against the household tax too. I just don't understand why Irish people are not putting the same effort when it comes to bank debts and NAMA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

we should'nt have bailed the banks out!! just look at what AIB are about to do!!! introduce bank charges again and wipe away free banking unless ya have over two grand in your account and there owned by us!!! yet again screwing us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

I'm against the household tax too. I just don't understand why Irish people are not putting the same effort when it comes to bank debts and NAMA.

For me, this is about bank debts and NAMA. It's the first real opportunity I have had to protest against the government.
    I'm far too busy trying to make money to live to go marching etc, so by not paying this I can protest.

Anyway, this money is in effect going to pay bondholders. I know they've spun it to say it's for local services, but it isn't really.

Here are my reasons for not paying:
    1. I do not want to give this personal information to the government.
    2. I do not want to pay €100 to people who are richer than I am for their gambling debts.
    3. I wish to protest against this government who are essentially the same as FF. Only by protesting will we get real political change.
    4. I can afford €100 now, but I may not be able to afford the €1000+ they'll be looking for in future years.
    5. It is an unfair tax. It is my civic duty to protest this for me and everyone else in Ireland. Some people may be scared into paying by the government, so all the more reason for me not to pay.

This money will be misappropriated.

I think Statitician has hit the nail on the head. This is the first time we can tangibly protest against the government's actions. I, for one, am delighted to see so many people holding their nerve on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

this cute hoor dupe that they're trying to spin-only a 100€ ,
    once your duped into it your on their new database for property taxs, tv taxes, water taxes, shyte taxs -septic tank,
    the threatening spin in the past week will problally frighten pensioners into reg-in,

anyone else with a bit a backbone should see it thru and put em back in their trioca'ra box.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Just can't understand how the Irish public bent over and allowed the government to foist on them NAMA and Bank debts that will run to €0000's per person.

I feel that most Irish People feel betrayed by our elected "betters" paying Bond holders money they Lost on a Gamble, Are we getting hysterical over 100Euro...
    No We are getting our message across that reimbursing Gamblers, money that they lost on a lame Horse is not going to happen again...

I Personally Don't have an issue with a Property/Service tax where services were increased/Improved according ... But I Won't be paying any till I believe this and the next governments won't be P!$$ing our taxes down the drain

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

A guy on the Joe Duffy show said he rang his bank and asked them how much was paid off his mortgage loan and not interest payment, the bank gave him a figure which related to 3%..

so he said basically ye own 97% of my house, is that right? to which bank said yes.. and he said thats fine, so ye can pay 97 euro to the government for the household charge..

savic04 wrote: »
    A guy on the Joe Duffy show said he rang his bank and asked them how much was paid off his mortgage loan and not interest payment, the bank gave him a figure which related to 3%..

so he said basically ye own 97% of my house, is that right? to which bank said yes.. and he said thats fine, so ye can pay 97 euro to the government for the household charge..

If he's not happy with the set up of his mortgage, he can always give back the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

All I can say folks is by all means don't pay the property tax. Just don't come crying back to boards when your child support/carers/dole is cut to recoup the money the government planned to gain on the property tax.

I'm long term unemployed so am going back to college to do something beneficial with tax payers hard earned dosh. I'd rather pay €100 once off than have my back to education allowance cut by €10 a week forever.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

That's not how a mortgage works. He owns 100% of his house and the purchase was financed by a loan equal to the price of the house which is secured on the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

List of housing estates exempt from charge in Waterford City

Waterford%20City.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

Newaglish wrote: »
    That's not how a mortgage works. He owns 100% of his house and the purchase was financed by a loan equal to the price of the house which is secured on the property.

you are prob right, just sayign what i heard..

anyway, why can bank take back the house if they dont own it..
    Dont you only get your title deeds on last payment, same with a HP Car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

MyKeyG wrote: »
    All I can say folks is by all means don't pay the property tax. Just don't come crying back to boards when your child support/carers/dole is cut to recoup the money the government planned to gain on the property tax.

I'm long term unemployed so am going back to college to do something beneficial with tax payers hard earned dosh. I'd rather pay €100 once off than have my back to education allowance cut by €10 a week forever.

Simples.

no point being in college atall if your living in dreamworld your fees will be double in the next few years...

fact is the waterford city council voted against the household lien recently so they will hardly be helping collect it from ordinary folk....

batm!ke wrote: »
    List of housing estates exempt from charge in Waterford City

Waterford%20City.pdf

All I see is a red X. How do I get the picture to show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

All I see is a red X. How do I get the picture to show?

Hmmm... dunno why that is, here's the link for the City anyway, and for those interested Waterford County

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

He sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

mmmm, looking at the unfinished estates in waterford, i'd agree with most, but it looks like the whole of ferrybank is an unfinished estate?

https://www.householdcharge.ie/UHE/Kilkenny.pdf

Christendom avenue is the only one i would have thought...

i dont live in those estate and wont be paying anyway...

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    mmmm, looking at the unfinished estates in waterford, i'd agree with most, but it looks like the whole of ferrybank is an unfinished estate?

https://www.householdcharge.ie/UHE/Kilkenny.pdf

Christendom avenue is the only one i would have thought...

i dont live in those estate and wont be paying anyway...

Yeah I live in Cnoic Caisleán and I've no idea how that's on the list. The builder is still building the bottom half of it like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Hoffmans wrote: »
    no point being in college atall if your living in dreamworld your fees will be double in the next few years...

fact is the waterford city council voted against the household lien recently so they will hardly be helping collect it from ordinary folk....
    Those in receipt of the back to education allowance are exempt from fees. Learn your facts before you accuse others of living in a dream world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

MyKeyG wrote: »

Simples.
    Just remember in 5 years time will you be happy paying 500 - 800 euro??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

When the rubbish from the weekend nights isn't cleaned up, when the public parks are overgrown, when the footpaths are no longer safe, when the street lighting is turned off, when the school warden is let go, when the fresh clean water stops running, when the recycling centres are closed, when fly tipping is not cleared up, when pollution is rife in our rivers and streams, will those who are not paying, pay then?

This is a local servcies tax, its needed. Businesses can't pay any more or even more will go bust and more jobs will be lost.

We all gain from local servcies, the day of the free ride is over.

BTW, EVERYONE should pay, there should be no waivers whatsoever. Discount schemes instead so that everyone finally appreciates what has been provided for free for years.

ps - in the UK I had to pay £2642 2 years a go! on top of a far higher basic rate of tax and on a smaller salary!

Advertisement