Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam Roadworks Merge

Options
  • 14-12-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Thought there might be a mention of this already but couldnt see it..
    That may be due to a classic example of the sheer stupidity of this road...

Step forward what must be one of the only relief roads to direct you not away from the traffic but back into the centre of the square..!!!

If you drive from bishop st in towards town, your options are :
    1. Drive towards the square where you can find the cathedral or O'TOOLES...

2. Take the relief rd where you can drive into O'TOOLES or else you are forced to drive back into the square.....!!!!?????????!!!!!!!

I kid you not......

What about the cock up that is the new lethal junction at the bridge..? Whoever heard of starting construction of a road without first deciding on the whether a two way flow is possible and if so whether traffic can exit the relief road safely, which i dont believe it always will..

On reflection the only winners are traffic coming from ballygaddy/tullinadaly roads who which to bypass the town for bishop st/dunmore road direction. Given a route between miltown and dunmore roads is already available, i cant see this addition as a huge advantage...

Ah yes, the other winner, Mr. O'Toole.... A road named after him and practically funnelling all possible traffic into his business... He will benefit most alright, but i would not want this white elephant baring my name...:mad:

And we wonder why we're in such a mess.......

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭EEm

Can you explain the roads you're on about more clearly?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

EEm wrote: »
    Can you explain the roads you're on about more clearly?

The new road linking Shop St. (at the Bridge Bar) to Bishop Street (across from Joyce's shop). It's going right along the river in front of the secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭steamboat

coup1917 wrote: »
    Thought there might be a mention of this already but couldnt see it..
    That may be due to a classic example of the sheer stupidity of this road...

Step forward what must be one of the only relief roads to direct you not away from the traffic but back into the centre of the square..!!!

If you drive from bishop st in towards town, your options are :
    1. Drive towards the square where you can find the cathedral or O'TOOLES...

2. Take the relief rd where you can drive into O'TOOLES or else you are forced to drive back into the square.....!!!!?????????!!!!!!!

I kid you not......

What about the cock up that is the new lethal junction at the bridge..? Whoever heard of starting construction of a road without first deciding on the whether a two way flow is possible and if so whether traffic can exit the relief road safely, which i dont believe it always will..

On reflection the only winners are traffic coming from ballygaddy/tullinadaly roads who which to bypass the town for bishop st/dunmore road direction. Given a route between miltown and dunmore roads is already available, i cant see this addition as a huge advantage...

Ah yes, the other winner, Mr. O'Toole.... A road named after him and practically funnelling all possible traffic into his business... He will benefit most alright, but i would not want this white elephant baring my name...:mad:

And we wonder why we're in such a mess.......

That junction at The Bridge must be pretty messy alright. I figured traffic coming off the O’Toole road at the Bridge could take a right up Tullinadaly Road. Is it left turn only?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

the O’Toole road

I thought Galway Co Co have yet to decide on an official name for the inner relief/link road?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

rco2000 wrote: »
    the O’Toole road

I thought Galway Co Co have yet to decide on an official name for the inner relief/link road?:confused:

How about naming it "the Sean Purcell road"? He was a sports hero of Tuam years back and deserves the honour more than O'Toole.

• Advertisement

Some12 wrote: »
    the O’Toole road

How about naming it "the Sean Purcell road"? He was a sports hero of Tuam years back and deserves the honour more than O'Toole.

+1

Some12 wrote: »

I think having one Sean Purcell Road already in Tuam that might cause confusion ;) and before it's suggested there's already a Frank Stockwell road too! (These are the two section of road from the old railway station to Dublin road).
    Anyway, didn't realise the name hasn't been decided yet.

steamboat wrote: »
    I think having one Sean Purcell Road already in Tuam that might cause confusion ;)

oops! :o

Anyway, didn't realise the name hasn't been decided yet.

It's a new public road so I suppose the Galway Co Co decide on the name (that's what it said in Tuam Herald a few weeks back)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 horsey guy

the road was built by the guy that owns otooles so its designed to get people to his shop if other people can find some use for it then i suppose they are allowed to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

steamboat wrote: »
    That junction at The Bridge must be pretty messy alright. I figured traffic coming off the O’Toole road at the Bridge could take a right up Tullinadaly Road. Is it left turn only?

Yep, left turn only....back into the square which presumably you would be taking a relief road to avoid...

A messy junction alrite....its a blind turn if you were to turn right up the hill.

I just think it was a rush job to get it done while the big dig was going on.... It was ill thought out to say the least.
    If its extended from bishop st up to the dublin road it may be more useful...i cant see that happening any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I have no real problem with anyone building a road and handing it over to Galway Co. Co. All the traffic managment is down to Galway Co. Co. not up to Joe O'Toole. The road will be called Joe O'Toole road and why not as much as people want to complain and as much as I don't like people building things and naming it after themselves he did pay for the thing!

The big problem with the road is from a pedestrian point of view, it is now extremely dangerous for people walking and driving to Tuam Leisure Centre.

To walk from the schools to the pool you now have to cross three roads, the footpath is on the wrong side of the road, they have closed the old access road and installed the zeba crossing 100m back towards shop street so of no use to anyone, all to avoid the cost of putting pedestrian lights.

Also if you want to turn left into the pool and there is another car coming out the road is now only big enough for one car, I await the first crash there.

Finally the finishing of the road is very poor, the large triple barbed wire fences everywhere are awful ugly, you could be mistaken if you thought you were entering a prison complex. Not a lot of thought as to what it would look like when it was finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 G453

Its a pointless road! Not needed!! And they destroyed a protected building-part of the mill-to make it! So well O'Tool (spelt that way on purpose) can afford to pay for it, he's stopped any other major business from coming into the town for years, how Lidl swung it I'll never know! I'm surprised he doesn't charge a toll to use his Super highway.

Not so sure about it being pointless, it definatly has its benefits for the people of Tuam and once the traffic plan is re-visited next year I think it will be of real benefit to Tuam. I think you need to give it time to bed in, for a start you are not going to be stuck in church traffic during funerals masses etc also I think it will be a huge benefit to moms bringing kids to school in the morning.

Regarding the protected protected building he has vowed to restore the mill building to its former glory after the entrance has been cleaned up. I think that was one of the planning stipulations.

Stopped any other business coming into town, not sure how powerful you think he is, anyone who thinks this is delusional and has been watching too many episodes of Sopranos. Joe O'Toole has not objcted to any development in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Tinder wrote: »
    Not so sure about it being pointless, it definatly has its benefits for the people of Tuam and once the traffic plan is re-visited next year I think it will be of real benefit to Tuam. I think you need to give it time to bed in, for a start you are not going to be stuck in church traffic during funerals masses etc also I think it will be a huge benefit to moms bringing kids to school in the morning.

Regarding the protected protected building he has vowed to restore the mill building to its former glory after the entrance has been cleaned up. I think that was one of the planning stipulations.

Stopped any other business coming into town, not sure how powerful you think he is, anyone who thinks this is delusional and has been watching too many episodes of Sopranos. Joe O'Toole has not objcted to any development in Tuam.

Naive in the extreme

Stopped any other business coming into town, not sure how powerful you think he is, anyone who thinks this is delusional and has been watching too many episodes of Sopranos. Joe O'Toole has not objcted to any development in Tuam.[/QUOTE]

:D

Beam us all up Scottie...but hurry

If anyone can point me in the direction of Joe O'Tooles objections please do so.

I will then hold my hands in the air and stand corrected.

Otherwise it is all here-say.

If anyone can point me in the direction of Joe O'Tooles objections please do so.

Scottie,hurry up, hurry upppppppp

Agree. The Galway Co Co publish all written planning objections on their website. Has anyone actually seen an objection from Joe O’Toole? I’ve no affiliation with the man, but I think unfounded petty begrugery is pretty sad. What we know for a fact is that he has provided direct and indirect employment for many, many people in the Tuam area and is a successful business man. If people want to resent him for that they can go ahead. :rolleyes:

rco2000 wrote:
    Beam us all up Scottie...but hurry
    rco2000 wrote:
    Scottie,hurry up, hurry upppppppp

Really not getting the Star Trek reference. What's the connection? Just trolling are we?

Just trolling are we?[/QUOTE]

You obviously do not understand what trolling means? I have contributed to this thread since 15/12. If you cared to read this thread in full & from the beginning one would have learned that we were discussing the new public inner relief/link road & from my point of view, a suitable name for same.

:confused:

You obviously do not understand what trolling means? I have contributed to this thread since 15/12. If you cared to read this thread in full & from the beginning one would have learned that we were discussing the new public inner relief/link road & from my point of view, a suitable name for same.

:confused:

Eh.... if you check you'll see I have also been contributing to this thread since 15th, you even quoted me :rolleyes:
    I just didn't understand your repeated references to Star Trek... what else am I supposed to think other than you are trying to provoke some sort of reaction. It was hardly obvious that you thought the road should be called 'Scottie'. Anyway, you can't deny it's all a little childish.

• Advertisement

Any suggestions on a suitable name for our new road?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

cracked as building a 4-lane dual-carriageway from Galway to Sligo!

Any suggestions on a suitable name for our new road?

It has already been widely reported and confirmed that the name of the road will be Joe O'Toole Road, I'm not a huge fan but there you go he did pay for the thing.

Personally I am not a big fan of the 'once you build it you get to name it' philosophy I think it's a real 'Celtic Tigerism'.

I prefer the idea of something being named in your honour, that you deserve the notoriety because of service to the citizens' not the size of your wallet.

It has already been widely reported and confirmed that the name of the road will be Joe O'Toole Road, I'm not a huge fan but there you go he did pay for the thing.

Personally I am not a big fan of the 'once you build it you get to name it' philosophy I think it's a real 'Celtic Tigerism'.

I prefer the idea of something being named in your honour, that you deserve the notoriety because of service to the citizens' not the size of your wallet.

Suppose, he/she who pays the piper calls the tune.

However it was reported recently in Tuam Herald that because it is a public road, the onus is on the Council to name the road. Mr .Gilmore of GCC said at last Town Council Meeting in response to this question that they (GCC) would name it sometime in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 G453

"Regarding the protected protected building he has vowed to restore the mill building to its former glory after the entrance has been cleaned up. I think that was one of the planning stipulations."

As I've spoken to an Architect involved in the restoration of Little Mill I can tell you that none are too happy about the tearing down of this building and for it to be done properly each brick would have to be numbered and categorised, also I thought "protected" was there to stop these things from being destroyed regardless of the benefits to the town. And the by-pass will make the road pointless.

"Stopped any other business coming into town, not sure how powerful you think he is, anyone who thinks this is delusional and has been watching too many episodes of Sopranos. Joe O'Toole has not objcted to any development in Tuam."

Never seen the Sopranos myself but your right, he couldn't possibly be that powerful, he only owns most of Shop Street, the Palace and a little bit of Bishop Street. And its not like corruption happens in our CoCo's at all, everything is above board and never hush hush....and I'm delusional.
    Next you'l be telling me he didn't tell his staff to park outside the Veg shop across from him, or my latest favourite, tell a occupier of one of his retail shops what they could and couldn't sell. And then there was the time all my friends worked there and had to do a stock take and yearly store clean during the night, for less than minimum wage....they were under age at the time too....great man though, pity he didn't get his statue!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

O'Toole & other Tuam traders are members of RGDATA Group. They object to everything and anything getting into Tuam. Don't know how Lidl did it. I really don't!!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

where both ends of this new road meet the existing roads - can anyone tell me why its like driving over a speed bump? huge mound of tarmac where the roads join and meet. very poorly finished if thats the way it will be left

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

Hi folks, hope this is in the right section - maybe got more to do with motoring.

On several of the roads that have been dug up and redone lately - i'm just wondering what is the story with every single man hole cover being a good 3/4 inches higher than the rest of the road. they are literally every couple of feet and staggered all over the road like a bloody obstacle course. Bearing in mind I ride a motor bike these thing are lethal. is it possible its allow them to sink flush with the road or anything?? N17 just as you enter the town from Galway side and tullindaly hill are the worst that I've noticed.

Thanks

CB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

think about it a second , what excuse would they have in 6 months time to dig it up again if they they had done it right ?
    I can see it coming , resurfacing during the entire summer :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

where both ends of this new road meet the existing roads - can anyone tell me why its like driving over a speed bump? huge mound of tarmac where the roads join and meet. very poorly finished if thats the way it will be left

Apparently when the Big Dig is completed they will be re-surfacing all of the streets and roads around the town, should be sorted out then.

Advertisement