Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best lip balm

• 14-12-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Im looking for peoples recommendations for the best lip balm. Every winter my lips get really dry cracked and sore (not to mention horrible looking) and nothing I use really helps.

off the top of my head I've tried :
    Vaseline
    blistex repair cream (best one I've found)
    Elizabeth arden 8 hour cream
    Bepanthem nappy rash cream
    Burts bees (one in the pot)

And probably more..

Help please :(:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Carmex is meant to be very good.

I personally found it very greasy for me though so I don't use it any more. I use Blistex 24/7 all year round and my lips are soft, moisturised and don't crack/chap.

The EL eight hour is fantastic, but the smell is vile. I put it on recently and had to take it off straight away, my stomach turned with the smell of it.

This is the skin one I have http://www.cheapsmells.com/viewProduct.php?id=8544

I have used this one also and it is amazing, doesn't smell badly either. It's expensive though €22 or €27 I think :(

http://shop.elizabetharden.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2553434&cp=2779948.11864805&clickid=searchResults_makeup_txt&parentPage=family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

http://uk.loccitane.com/FO/mini-pure-shea-butter.htm

I ADORE L'Occitane shea butter lip balm it's the only thing that saves my lips from the nasty winter weather / central heating circle:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I actually find Vaseline the best.
    Although Blistex daily conditioner is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

http://uk.loccitane.com/FO/mini-pure-shea-butter.htm

I ADORE L'Occitane shea butter lip balm it's the only thing that saves my lips from the nasty winter weather / central heating circle:D

Are your lips in general quite bad or manageable? Mine get ridiculous and am sick of buying balms that don't work for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I love eos lip balm! It's in the shape of a sphere (pic) which I find really handy, and it keeps my lips moisturised all day. Usually wear it under lipstick though.

There's a really good Body Shop one too called Cranberry Joy (it's a xmas edition) which has a bit of colour and keeps lips soft quite a while as well. Smells lovely! Also the Lush ones are great as well :D I have a problem with collecting lip balms :p

The Lip Smackers you get by the tills in Penneys are actually really good too!

• Advertisement

I love eos lip balm! It's in the shape of a sphere (pic) which I find really handy, and it keeps my lips moisturised all day. Usually wear it under lipstick though.

There's a really good Body Shop one too called Cranberry Joy (it's a xmas edition) which has a bit of colour and keeps lips soft quite a while as well. Smells lovely! Also the Lush ones are great as well :D I have a problem with collecting lip balms :p

The Lip Smackers you get by the tills in Penneys are actually really good too!

Where do you get the EOS one? Also, again, how bad are your lips? And how much is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

My lips get really dry and sore, well used to before I started using Lush lip scrubs- they do a lovely bubblegum one! I use this every evening and it cleas off all the dry skin and then I put on the Elizabeth Arden 8hr cream and it works great. My lips are kept smooth and soft!

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Where do you get the EOS one? Also, again, how bad are your lips? And how much is it?
    I got it on beauty emporium's website. My lips would get sore and pretty badly chapped in cold weather, but they are not in an awful state I suppose. Think it cost around 6 euro. The summer fruits one smells lovely, kinda like peaches!

Edit: Totally agree with pencilsharp about the Lush lip scrubs - they're brill! And yummy :D

labello or nivea are best for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,569 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Carmex all the way! Vaseline makes my lips twice as bad. I've been through them all over the years and cannot recommend it highly enough. (And no, I don't work for whoever makes it!)

Eta my lips normally aren't too bad, but I've had a stinker of a cold recently and they're in bits - but a good slather of the Carmex at night and they're as soft as the proverbial in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I love Kiehl's lip balm, but for those dry chapped winter lips I find cymex cream very good. I think the cream is better than a balm for when lips are actually sore.

E.T. wrote: »
    I love Kiehl's lip balm, but for those dry chapped winter lips I find cymex cream very good. I think the cream is better than a balm for when lips are actually sore.

cymex is very good actually, I forgot about that (that's the coldsore cream in the yellow tube yea?). Also remembered that the Blistex cream I use is actually the relief cream, not the repair cream. It's also in a cold-sore cream tube and is actually very good.

I think the lip scrub from Lush is probably along the lines of what I need, how much is it pencilsharp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

i find lobello very good or the cocoa butter vaseline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I use Cymex. It's great. One of the ingredients is urea which gets rid of dead skin and it also has dimethicone which is a type of silicone used in primers like Smashbox's so it makes them smooth.

I use it as a lip primer even in summer as I wear creamy lipsticks which look bad if you have cracked lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My lips get so sore and chapped in cold weather. :( I use Carmex but lately I've found I've been applying it practically non-stop, so I bought Palmers Dark Chocolate and Peppermint lip butter and it is really good. So moisturising. I only used it for a few days 'cause I'm not a fan of scented lip products so it was too over-powering for me but if you don't mind the smell, it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I have been using the Lush lip scrub too - I love it. Got the chocolate peppermint one :D

I just started using a Nuxe lipbalm, it's honey based and amazing. I also use Burt's Bee's in Acai flavour, I like the texture.

If you don't want to splash out on a lip scrub you could make one with some caster sugar and essential oils, or use a soft old toothbrush to flake away some dry skin, always worked for me !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Are your lips in general quite bad or manageable? Mine get ridiculous and am sick of buying balms that don't work for me :(

they would be if I didn't keep lip balm on my desk, in the car & in my handbag lol I tend not to wear lip balm on a night out cause I've lipstick on & I can really feel it the next day or two... really annoying dry cracked bit on the side of my mouth atm not nice :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Vaseline gets my vote! The tubs or the sticks - both are great. Am really liking the cocoa butter one (brown) at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The only one I ever found any good is the original Carmex, the one in the little pot with the yellow lid.

Went into Lush in a rish before work yesterday and asked the girl to recommend me a lip scrub, she handed me the bright pink bubblegum one saying it was her favourite so i bought it (was v short for time). It works but smells and tastes HORRIBLE :( Want to return it but doubt they'l let me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I use this stuff and find it great

rosebud1.jpg

Smells nice too.
    Carmex is great too if you don't mind the scent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hi - it sounds like you may have a form of eczema on your lips. Nothing crazy to worry about - happens when your lips get dry and then you lick them.

So, you need a treatment rather than prevention (i.e vaseline and all the other balms/slave).

There is a really good one that vichy has (it does cost about e14 - but it is the job) that contains urea to treat the area. If you are suffering from cracked sides, would recomment getting Daktarin and just putting a little blob on every few hours.

Sorry I just realised - its not vichy-its la roche posay who have that treatment. Always get the 2 mixed up!

Do all of the lush lip scrubs taste as bad as the pink bubblegum one? I like how it works but the smell and taste are unbearable!

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Do all of the lush lip scrubs taste as bad as the pink bubblegum one? I like how it works but the smell and taste are unbearable!
    What stores sell the lush lips products?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

I really recommend La Roche-Posay Nutritic Lip balm. It comes in a lipstick style tube and costs 4euro. Any chemists/pharmacy that stocks the La Roche-Posay range will have it, just ask. I use this all the time and never have chapped lips now.

I also recommend Vaseline 'Rosy' lips in the little tin, adds lovely pop of strawberry colour and shine for 2euro. I used to pay out for expensive lip gloss from both Lancome and Clinique but have happily switched to this product as my budget is tight for personal care items.

I love the smell of it! :p I'm not sure about how they taste, but the other ones smell like chocolate and mint I think.

If you want to make a similar one without paying for another tub, mixing some olive oil and caster sugar into a paste would work the same way pretty much. I'd probably rub it off rather than lick it as it would definitely taste rank :pac:
    SONIC2008 wrote: »
    What stores sell the lush lips products?

They're only sold in the Lush shops afaik. There's ones on Henry St. and near Grafton St. in Dublin, and definitely one in Belfast too. Not sure where else though sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I love Burt's Bees lip balms, especially the peppermint one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I always have several lip balms on the go. But the ones I tend to keep going back to are:

1 - Body Shop Cocoa butter (or the Labello Cocoa Butter)
    2 - Lizzy Arden tinted 8hr hour cream lip balm
    3 - Softlips French vanilla

I quite like the scented ones, but I don't think I could handle the Lush bubblegum one for long. :) I really like ones with a little tint of colour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Vaseline just does not work if you already have chapped/cracked lips- it can prevent them getting dry for a while, but it won't fix the problem.

I have to say the only ones I've ever had work well are the 8 hour cream and Carmex. I had a nice Coconut one from the Body Shop but it was a creamy colour so it made my lips look white! Was ok for wearing going to bed but not in the daytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 2022rae

Carmex is amazing for helping heal cracked or sore lips! However, I don't recommend using it as a long term lip balm as it can dry out your lips with prolonged use (I'm talking like a month or two straight here, it's fine for two or three weeks if you have cracked lips, etc.). I like vaseline for moisture and carmex when my lips are sore. Hope this helps! :)

Advertisement