Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burger King in Cork - Why only One?

Options
  • 14-12-2011 7:54pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a fan of BK's whoppers and I was looking at their website earlier today. While BK have about 15+ outlets in Dublin, and a couple each in Limerick and Galway, there is only one in all of Cork - on Patrick Street.

Why is this? There are about 6 McDonalds outlets in the city alone so why only the one Burger King? Is it not popular in Cork or has the fast food chain just not been able to open any additional locations - like a drive thru in the suburbs?:confused::(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

i so feel the pain!

even though its not healthy, i love BK, but living too far away...but it see it like that:
    in case u can go there, its a goood day then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Burger King far outstrips McDonalds when it comes to ****ty indulgent crappy fast food.

Mmmm XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

I for one am delighted to hear ye only have one BK.

for too long now cork has gone on about how great it is, the true capitol of ireland, lets set this straight, ye are big, ill grant ye that, but being the biggest doesnt make ye the best, it makes ye the fattest.

and the whole rebel county nonsense, Limerick citay is the only county to have actually become its own country, finally ye cork fenians have been put in your place.

now off to get an angus burger with rashers hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Burger King operates as a franchise in Ireland, doesn't it? If there isn't more than one in Cork, it's because only one person has decided they want to own a burger king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

BK on Patrick Street is always empty when I'm in there.
    I never used to go there but got hooked on the XL bacon double cheese when I was living in Waterford.
    At least our BK isn't full of pigeons trying to rob your chips :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Have Irish BKs started selling this yet?

BK_X-tra-Long-Chili_Cheese_Print.jpg

It is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Slightly off topic but why did the pizza hut in Blackpool & Little Island close? Crazy that a city like Cork doesn't have a proper pizza hut. Am I the only one who loved the all you can eat buffet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Burger King operates as a franchise in Ireland, doesn't it? If there isn't more than one in Cork, it's because only one person has decided they want to own a burger king.

Nearly ALL fast food outlets (BK, McDonalds, Subway etc etc) in Ireland are franchise owned.

In fairness McDonalds have had their locations in Cork for ages. AFAIK its Franchise policy to only operate where competition is minimal. This probably wouldnt apply to city center locations where the footfall is much higher than in suburban areas where people dont exactly stroll by and decide to stroll in.

BK were going to go into Mahon Point however there was a change to KFC last minute afaik. Why this was i dont know but i would agree with the majroity here. BK is much nicer than McDonalds. Cant beat them flame grilled burgers.
    Slightly off topic but why did the pizza hut in Blackpool & Little Island close? Crazy that a city like Cork doesn't have a proper pizza hut. Am I the only one who loved the all you can eat buffet ?

Because they were an absolute rip off. The little island outlet was a mental idea. People dont spend €10 on a pizza for lunch. Anyone who can afford to pay that everyday for lunch will not be going to pizza hut either. It was a terrible location for such a large outlet. Pizza Hut Delivery is in Carrigaline and deliver to Douglas and Rochestown. Very nice pizza too.

Setting up a franchise in Ireland is a business decision. If you are deciding to set up a McD's or a BK you will question which will bring in the most people. In Ireland i think people are more accustomed to McD's unfortunatly so that is the more favourable business decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Franchises are very territorial - I wonder if the BK franchisees have a deal limiting other BKs in cork - dunno, just wonder

As for Pizza Hut - little island was great for family & kids - found the kids menu very good, but prob wouldn't pay the bills as a it needs to be staff intensive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I like the occasional McDonalds but I really think that the whopper is a superior burger to the big mac.

I still can't see why Burger King have a paltry one single restaurant in all of Cork. I see an opportunity for a suburban drive thru in locations where McDonalds are absent - like Wilton/Bishopstown, Ballincollig, Carigaline and perhaps Cobh.

Surely there is enough demand for more than just one BK in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

BK make great burgers, but their chips are disgusting. They're mostly grease soaked, and glued together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I like the occasional McDonalds but I really think that the whopper is a superior burger to the big mac.

I still can't see why Burger King have a paltry one single restaurant in all of Cork. I see an opportunity for a suburban drive thru in locations where McDonalds are absent - like Wilton/Bishopstown, Ballincollig, Carigaline and perhaps Cobh.

Surely there is enough demand for more than just one BK in Cork?

I always find it hard to understand why there is no McD, BK, KFC, even a SuperMacs in Ballincollig.

Surely a market there.

An Indian would do nicely too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There was an article recently in one of the free local papers about a second drive-thru being planned for Douglas. Fingers crossed it's a BK, I can't really think of anyone else who'd go in there...Dino's maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I prefer BK to McD's all day long but the location isnt really viable when I'm in the mood for fast food which generally leads to a trip out to the McD's in Douglas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Rating a city based on the number of fast-food restaurants it has is pretty stupid. If you like BK go to Patrick Street, if not don't bother. I don't see why we need a load of them dotted around the suburbs creating rubbish and fat kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Hogzy wrote: »
    Pizza Hut Delivery is in Carrigaline and deliver to Douglas and Rochestown. Very nice pizza too.
    They've opened a delivery place on the Rochestown road now, its part of the shop (that used to be called Essentials - I dont know what its called now)

pow wow wrote: »
    There was an article recently in one of the free local papers about a second drive-thru being planned for Douglas. Fingers crossed it's a BK, I can't really think of anyone else who'd go in there...Dino's maybe?

I remeber from a few years back there was talk of Dinos having a drive through in Douglas so that'd be pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

The market in Cork is just too small, anyway Burger King was only a place to go to the bathroom when on a night out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Spindle wrote: »
    The market in Cork is just too small

Clearly not if there are 6 Mcdonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There are about 6 McDonalds outlets in the city alone

i only know of 2: Winthrop street and Patrick Street - where are the other 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

zeusnero wrote: »

Mahon Point, Douglas and two in Blackpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

one in midleton aswell

zeusnero wrote: »
    BArra wrote: »
    one in midleton aswell

Whatever chance one could make for describing Douglas as being in the city there's no chance Midleton is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Just had Burger King home delivered!

I'm kinda in Egypt this week though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Spindle wrote: »
    The market in Cork is just too small, anyway Burger King was only a place to go to the bathroom when on a night out :)

+1.
    How many Hillbillies,Lennoxs,Dinos,Abrakebabra,McDonalds,Four Star Pizza,Dominos etc. are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

+1.
    How many Hillbillies,Lennoxs,Dinos,Abrakebabra,McDonalds,Four Star Pizza,Dominos etc. are there?

Dinos FTW... King dino yum yum yum..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Dinos FTW... King dino yum yum yum..

I've lived in Cork for over 4 years and only had one last week.
    Bloody Tasty :)
    Gonna be in trouble now cause it's only down the road in douglas and then theres the new Pizza Hut.

though I'd really love to see a drive through BK in Douglas too :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There has to be demand in Cork for more than one BK. If Cork city can support 6 McDonalds then it can support at least 2 Burger Kings.

McDonalds first opened in Winthrop street nigh on 30 years ago. Its first suburban drive thru outlet opened in Douglas almost 20 years ago. It's high time BK opened a drive thru and/or a second restaurant in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Maybe BK just isn't popular enough.

Any time I've been there, it's never been full (bar Paddys day etc.) and I've never had to queue for any length of time, unlike many McDonalds I've been too!
    Other BKs I've been to in other countys are much busier too.

Sure BK in Cork is far bigger, but maybe that's a fault, do you need a place so big for a fast food restaurant that's only packed on special events!

I guess the people of Cork just don't like BK enough :P

• Advertisement

With McDonalds breakfast menu and extended opening hours along with their recent refurbs they have I reckon changed the image from simply a fastfood outlet to an almost cafe type place too, BK is still simply a fastfood type outlet, people call into McDonalds for a coffee and a cookie now, not just for the fast food meals.

Advertisement